Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: starting grad school  (Read 67 times)

Offline bk87

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
starting grad school
« on: August 19, 2014, 12:29:07 PM »
I am 27 years old. From the age of 18 to 25, I suffered from agoraphobia brought on by severe panic attacks due to trauma related issues. I did not leave the house for seven years, did not see family or friends, slept all day, was up at night, barely showed, didn't get dressed and went into a deep depression/breakdown that leaving society will bring one into. For the past two years I have been in therapy. Slowly but surely I re-taught myself how to be "normal"- being outside, getting dressed, reconnected on social media with friends, see my family etc... I was lucky enough to have a mother who insisted that I get my Bachelor's degree- I did so via an online college, over five years. Next month, I am starting social work school. I am quite proud to have reached this milestone- G-d know it took so much energy, tears and much strength to get to this place. It still does. I am looking forward to getting my Master's degree but have begun feeling more nervous. I am not used to being around too many people or being away from home/my neighborhood for too long. Now I'm going to be around a bunch of new people and be away from home for seven hours+ four days a week. Not to mention, I will have to socialize, work with people etc... I am petrified of getting panic attacks in school (my first one started at 18, in a psychology class of all places, in undergrad- I ran out screaming in the street that i was about to die, dropped out and began my downward spiral) and the effects they could have on me. I am not currently on medication but have started a vitamin regimen put together by a PhD in nutrition science that i feel is helping my insomnia and helping to reduce the intensity of my panic. CBT techniques have been also been very useful. However, I am very nervous. I would love to talk, hear from anyone here who has gone through this transitional phase and can give me advice on how they succeeded. Therapists, medication and vitamins can be great but some things I believe can only be understood by those who have gone through this hell.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: panic