Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Charley horse/cramps in a leg when you wake up?  (Read 244 times)

Offline bittersweetlife

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
Charley horse/cramps in a leg when you wake up?
« on: August 18, 2014, 06:23:02 PM »
Anyone here experienced getting those painful charley horse on your calf when you wake up in the morning? That usually happens the first thing you wake up?
Bookmark and Share
"There's a time & a place to die.. but this ain't it"

Hakuna Matata - "It means no worries"

“Anxiety's like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you very far.” - Jodi Picoult, Sing You Home

Offline Rasalhauge

• Rec's: 4
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Charley horse/cramps in a leg when you wake up?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 06:48:45 PM »
Anyone here experienced getting those painful charley horse on your calf when you wake up in the morning? That usually happens the first thing you wake up?

I get that; in the calfs sometimes, but mostly under my feet (almost like a cramp in the sole) and in my hands. However, mine are more or less constant. But, just like yours, it can be aggrevated by waking up from sleep. I think that specific thing (morning cramps/spasms*) could be a result of comming out of the natural sleep paralyzis that your body is in when you sleep. I might very well be totally wrong, so someone that are "in the know" when it comes to this should feel free to correct me.

Otherwise I thinkthat it´s mostly tension from anxiety that causes this. The most annoying thing is cramping when writing, as it does for me after just a couple of minutes. I realized that I tense up immensly as soon as I wake up, and this tension holds out during the whole day.

Bottom line, my layman opinion is that anxiety causes this. Other common causes could be insufficient fluid intakes (slight dehydration) and a lack of certain minerals, like magnesium and potassium (I think). Magnesium supplements, and pleanty of water, actually helps me alot against cramping/spasms. It could be a case of placebo reaction, but I can deifintelly feel a great difference when I take these supplements (there´s a whole discussion about the benefits of magnesium here on the forum, look that up). My honest opinion is that most people with anxiety will benefit from the right suplementation regimen, but always check with your GP before testing supplements, especially if you take SSRI/SNRI/tricyclics:s/Benzos or stuff like that=)

Sorry for a wall of text here=)
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline bittersweetlife

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 07:04:58 PM »
Well to be honest I've experienced this ever since i was a kid and this isn't new to me. I'm not really getting leg cramps when i wake up everytime. Since right now i had HA i keep thinking this could be a sign of doom! Now im scared.
Bookmark and Share

“Anxiety's like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you very far.” - Jodi Picoult, Sing You Home

Offline Raaawr

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 07:07:22 PM »
Anxiety can do weird things to our body as soon as we wake up. I often wake up normally and my heart is racing and my left arm is numb and sore. If its just sore when you wake up and then goes away I wouldnt say its much to be worried about.
Bookmark and Share
Since July 23rd 2014 I have had;
Brain Tumor, 5x Heart Attacks, 2x Blood clots in leg, 1 blood clot in Arm, 2x Appendicitis, Pulmonary Embolism, Brain Tumor, Internal Bleeding, Ebola.

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 07:16:48 PM »
Well to be honest I've experienced this ever since i was a kid and this isn't new to me. I'm not really getting leg cramps when i wake up everytime. Since right now i had HA i keep thinking this could be a sign of doom! Now im scared.

No, if anything it´s a sign of anxiety/tension/mineral deficiencies/dehydration. All those things are possible culprits, nothing doomy about them though=)

This happens to everyone once in a while, but anxious people tend to get this much more frequently (I for one have them constantly). Sure, they are indeed a nuisance, but they are not indicative of some disease=)
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline bittersweetlife

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 10:30:13 PM »
I still fear this might happen again
Bookmark and Share

Offline bittersweetlife

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 11:25:09 PM »
Oh God now I'm panicking! I think my ALS fear came back!! After seeing that ice bucket challenge. And had that left calf cramp when i woke up. Oh God I'm only 20 for god sake!
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:44:41 PM »
I get these a lot when I'm pregnant. Possibly hormonal fluctuations would do the same thing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bittersweetlife

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 01:08:03 AM »
Although this is a lot common on pregnant women. But I'm not pregnant and especially i am not a woman.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 12:59:13 PM »
Although this is a lot common on pregnant women. But I'm not pregnant and especially i am not a woman.

You might be neither pregnant nor a woman, but you are most certainly an anxious minded individual. Ask anyone around here, since you obviously doesn´t listen to me, how many common (benign) causes there are for cramps/spasms/charley horse.

It´s not even remotelly a sign of ALS, calm down
Bookmark and Share

- Dante Alighieri

Offline bittersweetlife

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 11:36:31 AM »
Hi @Rasalhauge! I'm sorry for not paying too much attention to your advice but thank you very much for putting a lot of effort convincing me it's all normal to have a calf cramp in the when you are sleeping. As of now my ALS fear is now getting little by little subsiding.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: