Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Wellbutrin and Alcohol Consumption  (Read 179 times)

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Wellbutrin and Alcohol Consumption
« on: August 18, 2014, 01:19:21 PM »
So I have been on the Wellbutrin now for approximately 2 weeks now. Many of the side effects have gone away and it seems to be working in some aspects (I feel that a slight increase is needed, but I want to also give it more time to take effect).

However, being in my mid-twenties, there is a lot of social pressure from peers to drink. Well, not pressure from them directly, but I yearn to drink and let loose with them. I have no idea if any of them are on any anti-depressants, although statistically I believe it's on average 1 out of 4 people, so maybe some are.

So on Saturday night we went to a small get together. Last weekend I had about a beer over the course of 5 hours and a small jello shot (I was also driving, so I drank a lot of water and ate food and sipped the Bud Light slowly). This past weekend, I got slightly reckless. I didn't anticipate drinking, but the idea of drinking games came up. Prior I had taken a 10mg of Propranolol (About an hour or so prior) for my anxiety. I felt that I may or may not need it, but I didn't want to take a Xanax and I am supposed to be taking the Propranolol 10mg 3x a day (Psych said I can do 2 times though). Anyway, drinking games... We played a fast paced game where you need to chug your beer as fast as you can (Essentially... There is more to it, but that's your goal). Prior I had sipped on about a half a beer. We lost game one, then played later where my partner and I won 5 games in a row. The thing with me and alcohol is that once I get that buzz and I am having a great time, I am hooked. I love being competitive with drinking games (Not getting sloshed, per se, but just being good at the game itself... Being able to drink well is nice too). My fiance drove my car home this night (To be safe).

After some time I had a buzz after the first game. Then later when we played the multiple games I remember it hitting me hard. Like, I kept myself together, but I felt that woozy and unstable feeling. But I was enjoying myself too much.

That night I ate and went to bed fine. I didn't black out like some people said that they do. I felt like I regularly would if I drank, but my tolerance is lower than in the past, which I attribute to both a lack of drinking in general and the medication(s).

I have drank on the Prozac before (Which I still take), and that hangover was Hell in a handbasket. But I overdid it then, too. I feel like it may be drinking on both of the medications, but the next day is always terrible. My anxiety kicks up like a storm, I feel tired and groggy and out of it. Now, I've had hangovers in the past (Which are terrible in their own sense... But I'd pay for one of those over what I get now) where my head hurt and I felt nausea coming on, but now I feel like I am on Death's doorstep. And it isn't JUST the next day, it is *DAYS* after drinking that it takes me to get back on track.

Now I know not being able to drink is the end of everything, but it is something that I enjoy to a degree. Even if it is a Captain and Coke with some friends at a bar, I enjoy it. Drinking this early in on the medication? Not a good idea, I know. Stupid me. I usually have good self control. But how does my future look for being able to drink? I ask because I am getting married in less than two years. Will I be able to drink by then? What about in a couple of months? I also read that consuming alcohol and taking Wellbutrin can lead to seizures... Although I've never had one. I also heard that Wellbutrin is hard on the liver as well... Is this true?

For all of you who just read, try not to drink! Or take it lightly, as long as your doctor says it is OK. Don't drink and drive, especially on medication.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Wellbutrin and Alcohol Consumption
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »
Drinking this early in on the medication? Not a good idea, I know. Stupid me.

I don't think it will improve over time. Indeed, if you need to up the dose then it may even be worse. But frankly, getting hammered is never going to be a good idea, either for anxiety, or in the interaction with Wellbutrin (or any other psych med). I think you really need to rethink your approach to alcohol.

I also read that consuming alcohol and taking Wellbutrin can lead to seizures.

Yes, it can.

I also heard that Wellbutrin is hard on the liver as well... Is this true?

Liver enzyme elevation occurs in a small number of patients, less than 1%, but it is rare for these to be high enough to require any action or to cause jaundice. This typically takes 1-3 months to develop, so it would be a good idea to have a liver function test in a few months time.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:12:53 AM »
So people taking Wellbutrin can never really drink again? Well, get intoxicated, I mean. I figure a drink or two (Like a beer with a burger) is fine on occassion after the medication settles with me, but I can never go out and party again? It's hard with the social settings I am in at times. I've talked to my therapist about it as well, so we are working through that a bit. I mean, I don't drink all of the time. I used to back in my late teens and early twenties. Now I am 26 (Where are the years going?!?!).

Can people have seizures even if they have never had them before? Sometimes I'll get lightheaded and dizzy (Which has been happening for some time now, I attribute it to anxiety since I've had ever test under the Sun), and then anxiety will sometimes kick in and I'll think I am getting one, or I'll believe that's what the beginning stages of getting one feel like.

My Psychiatrist didn't seem to be worrisome about my liver. I may just go to my GP in a couple of months and request some blood work, just to be safe. Otherwise, my liver should be good with my lack of overall drinking compared to how I used to, my diet is pretty decent and all I really drink is water.

Otherwise, the medication seems alright. I initially felt more energy and motivation, but that has somewhat subsided and I am tired again. In the beginning I heard the heart palpitations and chest pressure, which is practically gone. I may ask for an increase to 150mg next time I see him, or whatever he suggests.

One thing I *DID* notice and am happy about is that -- and it may seem silly to others, but it makes me incredibly happy -- I was able to play video games for the past couple nights without much issue. At times in the past I'd get dizzy and have to take a look away from the screen. It was an odd sensation that is hard to explain... It was like my eyes were sensitive. Anyway, the past couple of nights I played a few different games and didn't have as MUCH issues. At times I'd get a bit dizzy, but not nearly as bad in the past. So, I guess there is hope. They are an escape for me, on top of exercise.

Do you have any suggestions, Ian? When it comes to drinking in general (Moderate)? About the increase in dosage? The eye sensitivity? I also am getting those muscle spasms still, but they aren't AS bad as before. I mean, they are bad, but not as bad. Also, I am very jumpy... physically. It is weird, but if something surprises me I physically jump much easier, even if I am not psychologically scared.  :/
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 09:06:11 AM »
but I can never go out and party again

Believe it or not, it is possible to have a good time without getting drunk. Feeling great in social settings is as much about your frame of mind as the effects of booze.

Sometimes I'll get lightheaded and dizzy (Which has been happening for some time now, I attribute it to anxiety since I've had ever test under the Sun), and then anxiety will sometimes kick in and I'll think I am getting one, or I'll believe that's what the beginning stages of getting one feel like.

In almost all cases this is anxiety and not breathing properly when anxious and has nothing to do with seizures.

When it comes to drinking in general (Moderate)?

You're asking the wrong person. I was only a very moderate drinker, it wasn't a good mix with my job, and haven't touched it at all since I worked out that its effects were unpredictable in combination with my antidepressant. But I seem to have at least as good a time at parties as anyone else while drinking nothing stronger than tonic, and probably more so than those who drink themselves into oblivion. At least I can remember the good times the next day.

Also, I am very jumpy... physically. It is weird, but if something surprises me I physically jump much easier, even if I am not psychologically scared.

Wellbutrin can be very stimulating. It can be like being on uppers and can put you on a hair trigger. As long as it isn't causing anxiety there probably isn't much to worry about. You'll probably soon adapt to its effects.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 09:54:21 AM »
I will definitely scale it down and see what my Psychiatrist says about moderate drinking when taking the medication, but I am also taking your advice because it is true that you don't need alcohol to have a good time. I can play some of the games without drinking, for example. Or I can play the games and sip on a beer on the side for an hour or two.

Also, in regards to natural supplements: My Dad gave me a bottle of Juice Plus+, which is essentially fruits (and vegetables in another capsule) in powder form that is encapsulated. I don't take it all of the time anymore since I felt like I was taking too much stuff. Not too long ago I tried to take the fruit one, and I felt anxiety onset. It has a high amount of Vitamin A, E and C (C is the highest). I know that C isn't really toxic, but I tried taking it again yesterday (Only one capsule when I am supposed to take two) and I felt anxiety come over me. I got chest pains. Do you think in conjunction with the Wellbutrin that it is overstimulating?

Also, I was taking L-Arginine for working out, but I was told that L-Citrulline is much more effective, so I bought that. I assume that is safe, correct? Is L-Beta Alinine safe as well? I used to take pre-workout supplements which were awesome, but they are way too stimulating for me now with the anxiety (I miss those days).

Last but not least, you brought up breathing, which is interesting because my Psychiatrist brought up rhythmic breathing and such. Do you have a website that shows the best methods? I've read a few, but it seems that there are many options.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 05:21:16 PM »
My Dad gave me a bottle of Juice Plus+, which is essentially fruits (and vegetables in another capsule) in powder form that is encapsulated. I don't take it all of the time anymore since I felt like I was taking too much stuff. Not too long ago I tried to take the fruit one, and I felt anxiety onset. It has a high amount of Vitamin A, E and C (C is the highest). I know that C isn't really toxic, but I tried taking it again yesterday (Only one capsule when I am supposed to take two) and I felt anxiety come over me. I got chest pains. Do you think in conjunction with the Wellbutrin that it is overstimulating?

If all it contains is freeze dried vegetable and fruit then I don't see how it could be stimulating. There may be something else in it that is triggering your anxiety. Or maybe it is your mind playing games.

But, IMHO, the best way of getting the benefits of fruit and vegetables is to eat real fruit and vegetables. They are likely to provide a broader spectrum of benefits than something made in a lab. I've been taking powdered kale for years which I encapsulate myself because I hate the taste of the plant. I've read kale is now very popular so it seems others have discovered its benefits. Unfortunately, the price has done up a lot lately in response to the increased demand. :(

Last but not least, you brought up breathing, which is interesting because my Psychiatrist brought up rhythmic breathing and such. Do you have a website that shows the best methods? I've read a few, but it seems that there are many options.

Yes, there are, however, if you boil them down they all do pretty much the same thing. Try a few, pick the one that is the best fit for you and your routines and stick with it.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 07:38:26 AM »
I will look into the breathing techniques, and I am so sorry about your kale dilemma! I'd send you some from the states if I could. I will get it frozen from time to time and add it into smoothies, which I haven't done in awhile, but I will start to do again. Add in some almond milk, chocolate almond milk, a banana, strawberries, and protein powder on top of that and it's good to go.

As for the Wellbutrin, I've also been noticing that I get tension headaches lately. Sometimes it is after I take the Propranolol, other times it is in the morning. Like right now I feel like my jaw is slightly clenched and the areas around my temples ache slightly. The other night after I worked out I took a Propranolol and I felt a bit light headed and I felt even more sensitive around my temples. I assume that was due to a smaller amount of blood going to the brain after my workout -- blood which I needed, so I figured I'd opt for a Xanax from now on after a workout if I feel that I need it.

The insomnia is still there a bit. I seriously think that my circadian rhythm is messed up. I HATE mornings with a passion. I feel groggy, I feel out of it during the drive to work and all I want to do it take a nap. But at night, around 10PM-11PM or so, I don't want to go to bed. I feel like there is so much to do on the internet and such. I'll get caught up browsing forums and articles and social media. Then I don't get enough sleep so the cycle repeats. It is quite vicious. And the Wellbutrin seems to have exacerbated the issue because I can't fall asleep as easy at night, so I justify, in my mind, staying up a bit later. The worst part is that I start work at 7AM, and I have been falling asleep around 1AM or even much later at times (Sometimes I've tried to sleep and have rolled around unable to fall asleep).

One thing that is making me quite anxious is my job, or future career. I mean, my job now is decent. Decent pay (I'd like more, but that happens in time), health benefits, dental & optical benefits (All benefits for my daughter as well), a pension (Although I pay into it) and I have some other small perks. However, I don't want to do this forever, and I do a lot more than others in my title. I aspired to be a police officer. I went to school for Criminal Justice and took multiple police tests. At the time, though, no one was hiring due to the economy, or you needed a perfect score. One department sent me a letter back, but by that time I was feeling sick from anxiety and the commute was quite lengthy (About an hour and a half each way). Now it saddens me and makes my anxiety worse that I cannot go after my dream since I feel so sick at times. Other times I feel pretty good, but times, like right now, I feel lightheaded and fatigued and out of it. I certainly couldn't be on the top of my game as a police officer with the anxiety that I have. I was a volunteer firefighter for 5+ years, and I had to resign from that. I loved it. I loved helping people. I liked the rush of getting on a scene and helping the people in need, getting up all hours of the night to do so at times... sitting and mingling at the firehouse and going to live fire trainings. Now I am just feeling decent enough to go to the supermarket. It makes me so upset... :(

Ok, sorry for rambling.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 08:19:25 AM »
I liked the rush of getting on a scene and helping the people in need, getting up all hours of the night to do so at times... sitting and mingling at the firehouse and going to live fire trainings. Now I am just feeling decent enough to go to the supermarket. It makes me so upset... :(

I know how you feel. I didn't lose my job when I developed PD, but I did lose the most exciting/interesting parts of it. But as someone smart once observed, if life hands you lemons make lemonade. You need to find something which can provide at least some of the buzz without the responsibility that the anxiety disorder may prevent you from fulfilling.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 08:54:31 AM »
I'm sorry that you lost some of what you loved as well.

Through medication and therapy, is there any way for me to get back to how I was before? Or will this always be a daily struggle? It has gotten much better, but I still don't feel like me. I don't feel completely clear-headed and I still feel somewhat out of body. I still get anxious, although I've made strides in that area... I think I've said it before, but it got so bad at one point that I was a hermit, except for work. I was afraid for awhile to even have friends over my house. One night I had one friend over and my anxiety kicked up. But I made progress... Eventually I had many people over a handful of times, then I went to a friend's house with a couple of people, then to another place that I hadn't ever been to for a party. I know that the medicine will not do all of the work for me.

I assume it is possible. From your writing and posts you're very intelligent and can retain information, as well as recall and convey it. I still have some trouble with that.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: Alcohol wellbutrin