Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared of dermatologist appointment  (Read 196 times)

Offline Trikki

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared of dermatologist appointment
« on: August 18, 2014, 08:22:46 AM »
Hi everyone, I have my skin check with my derm on Thurs. Its only been 8mths but these appointments scare me to death, Im so worried she will find melanoma. I have terrible anxiety leading up to these appointments and find it hard to function. My dad has had a super healthy life yet has had 5 different cancers and thats why Ive developed HA. Ive kept a check on my moles but my fear is that I'll hear say that she doesnt like the look of a mole, it will scare me badly. Can anyone help me relax about this appointment?? Thanks for listening xx
Bookmark and Share

Offline Trikki

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared of dermatologist appointment
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 09:11:04 PM »
Is there anyone out there who is able to give me genuine reassurance ??  I really appreciate your time xx
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:22:49 PM »
Good luck!  FWIW a friend of mine just got told by a derm that they REALLY didn't like the look of a mole and wanted to take it off right then (she went in for something totally unrelated) and it came back 100% normal.  Most "bad-looking" moles are normal.  So even if your doctor says something should come off it's probably fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Trikki

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:33:04 PM »
Thanks Mollyfin - I'm glad your friends mole was normal.  I'm sure mine are fine as I keep a close check on them.  HA is terrible, no matter how much you try to console yourself it just takes over.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 11:50:40 PM »
I used to really work myself up about the dermatologist until I had gone through several rounds of biopsies and all came back clear. Dermatologists take everything off, but a very small percentage are actually melanoma. Did you know dermatologists are like the wealthiest doctors of all? I bet mine has a yacht or private tennis court from all my freakouts alone  :angel-smiley-006:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Trikki

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 12:08:06 AM »
Hahaha Pantsy Antsy, that's funny, I bet mine has an awesome yacht too !!  It's only a 10 minute appointment yet it causes me so much anxiety for a week leading up to it.  I wish I could find a good psychologist to help me through this HA but I've already tried 3 with no luck - one even gave me printed worksheets that are free on the internet and spent the appointment going through them, that was an expensive exercise !
Bookmark and Share

Tags: