Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: when it rains, it pours  (Read 285 times)

Offline reece

• Rec's: 13
    • Poke This Member
when it rains, it pours
« on: August 18, 2014, 07:31:16 AM »
so, of course, as you all know my anxiety has been pretty high lately. I've come to recognize that my anxiety waxes and wanes. i have good periods and then i have bad ones.  i've been anxious alot lately, so i am definitely in a "my bucket is full" situation.  :)

anyway, as is always the case, when it rains it pours.  so i'm coming to y'all for a bit of reason.  here's the situation...my husband hates to spend money. of course, we don't have much to spend, so that could be why!  :)we have an old house, and he basically sticks his head in the sand about anything that could be wrong(so we don't have to spend money to fix it).  i understand where he is coming from, and if something big happens we would have to take a loan to fix it since we just spent all of our cash savings with the kitchen remodel last yetar.(it HAD to be done..bucket under the sink type issues among other things).  anyway, i give you that back ground so that maybe you have some insight into my anxiety when it comes to my house.  anytime something needs to be checked out(plumbing, AC, fireplace)i get so anxious because i know he will back and not want to do anything about it. then that's where my HA kicks in. the what if's - what if our fireplace is dangerous, what if we have sewage backup, etc) things that could affect our health.  my husband waives me off on all of these fears and would never fix anything if i didn't MAKE him.

so, that brings me to my current situation. we have a "smell" coming from our ac vents. we are on a slab(fun fun)o the duct work runs through the slab. the smell got so strong last night that i turned off the ac.  i cannot put my finger on what the smell is.  it's not a dead animal or anything like that. it is kind of a "tinny" smell. i think maybe it's moisture. i don't see any moisture in the ducts, where i can peek in the vent, but i see a lot of crap in there! yuck(will be vacuuming those). we have an old house and i wonder if the foundation is leaking moisture into the duct work.  my husband says that it is not possible, it is fine. 

i think what is lingering in the back of my mind is a snippet of a story i heard my son tell. he said his science teacher told them about her uncle who got legionairres disease from his a/c. something about rainwater got into it from a fence post....that's all i know. i don't know if he had central ac or a window unit. i don't know if he died or what. but i THINK that is where i got my worry from(this was a few years ago). 

so, here is where i need YOUR help.  this situation is not going to resolve itself today, or probably this week.  could something like this REALLY be dangerous to our health? or should this just be a pain in the ass, money sucking thing that we have to deal with?

I would just like to be able to take the health anxiety out of the whole situation. ya know? having money and house issues is hard enough without bringing the health anxiety into it.

if you have stuck with me this far thank you!  :)

Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
Re: when it rains, it pours
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 12:58:27 PM »
nobody?   :action-smiley-065:

so, of course, as you all know my anxiety has been pretty high lately. I've come to recognize that my anxiety waxes and wanes. i have good periods and then i have bad ones.  i've been anxious alot lately, so i am definitely in a "my bucket is full" situation.  :)

anyway, as is always the case, when it rains it pours.  so i'm coming to y'all for a bit of reason.  here's the situation...my husband hates to spend money. of course, we don't have much to spend, so that could be why!  :)we have an old house, and he basically sticks his head in the sand about anything that could be wrong(so we don't have to spend money to fix it).  i understand where he is coming from, and if something big happens we would have to take a loan to fix it since we just spent all of our cash savings with the kitchen remodel last yetar.(it HAD to be done..bucket under the sink type issues among other things).  anyway, i give you that back ground so that maybe you have some insight into my anxiety when it comes to my house.  anytime something needs to be checked out(plumbing, AC, fireplace)i get so anxious because i know he will back and not want to do anything about it. then that's where my HA kicks in. the what if's - what if our fireplace is dangerous, what if we have sewage backup, etc) things that could affect our health.  my husband waives me off on all of these fears and would never fix anything if i didn't MAKE him.

so, that brings me to my current situation. we have a "smell" coming from our ac vents. we are on a slab(fun fun)o the duct work runs through the slab. the smell got so strong last night that i turned off the ac.  i cannot put my finger on what the smell is.  it's not a dead animal or anything like that. it is kind of a "tinny" smell. i think maybe it's moisture. i don't see any moisture in the ducts, where i can peek in the vent, but i see a lot of crap in there! yuck(will be vacuuming those). we have an old house and i wonder if the foundation is leaking moisture into the duct work.  my husband says that it is not possible, it is fine. 

i think what is lingering in the back of my mind is a snippet of a story i heard my son tell. he said his science teacher told them about her uncle who got legionairres disease from his a/c. something about rainwater got into it from a fence post....that's all i know. i don't know if he had central ac or a window unit. i don't know if he died or what. but i THINK that is where i got my worry from(this was a few years ago). 

so, here is where i need YOUR help.  this situation is not going to resolve itself today, or probably this week.  could something like this REALLY be dangerous to our health? or should this just be a pain in the ass, money sucking thing that we have to deal with?

I would just like to be able to take the health anxiety out of the whole situation. ya know? having money and house issues is hard enough without bringing the health anxiety into it.

if you have stuck with me this far thank you!  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 05:01:25 PM »
i guess y'all are sick of me! i know i am. LOL

we can't get the N. fowleri thing from moisture in our ducts can we? just say NOOO!
please, cause i stuck my face down next to the vents(several times)to see if i could smell it or feel any moisture, and so it blew right on me and i breathed it right in.

i don't want something else to fear. and i have never googled or feared that one...

Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 07:59:35 PM »
I don't know about N. fowleri but it is certainly possible that moisture from the ground has made its way into ducts but you wouldn't necessarily see water - could manifest itself as humidity in the ducts.

I've never heard of ducts being run through a concrete slab - what part of the country and how old is the house?  I assume the ducts are sheet metal?
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 08:06:07 PM »
ducts are sheet metal. live in the southern us and the house was built in 1954.  husband says the humidity in the house is really not that high, but i disagree.

i hope that just humidity in the ducts would not be enough for n. fowleri(don't look it up!! - i'm not) :)

anyway, thanks for the info....
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 08:28:06 PM »
to get this IMPOSSIBLY rare disease, you have to snort up affected pond, lake or river water.  there have been something like 130 dx'd cases in the US since the 1960's. 

You are not going to get this from duct work.  You would probably not even get it if you snorted up pond water, tbh.

AND, I don't think you have anything to worry over healthwise with whatever you are smelling either.  AT MOST it will turn out to be a money suck.

you are not going to get the amoeba thing--your hubs or kids either   :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 09:06:48 PM »
Once again, not weighing in on N. fowleri because I don't know anything about it.

But I do know a small something about construction and sheet metal ducts laid in concrete pad will rust eventually and let moisture in.  Call your electric utility company and tell them you want a free energy audit (well they're free in lots of states).  They may have a camera snake they can use to check the condition of the ducts.  If they don't, call your AC company.  What you want is a camera view of the ducts to see if there is a rusted out spot.

I know you said money is tight but if the ducts have rusted, your AC will work much much harder (which means it will cost more and more) to run so you'll end up paying one way or another.

Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 07:04:43 AM »
six-thanks. i needed to hear that. i'm trying to remember that.i also am trying to tell myself that if i do have it, it is out of my control now, because i cannot undo the breathing in(deeply, mind you)of the a/c vent air.   i have to just say, today is all i have and i'm going to choose to not obsess today.

pat-thanks for the info!.  i actually did have that snake camera thing done several(not sure how many)years ago because i felt like we were not getting enough air blowing....so, that kinda makes me feel better knowing they didn't find anything then. not that it couldn't be there now, but still...
i am going to california on thursday, so i don't think i can have this settled until i get back.

last night, i didn't feel the moisture and the smell wasn't there either. i think the humidity outside had something to do with it the night before, it was at 90% or something crazy around here yesterday(outside). my humidity monitor inside actually lowered when the a/c was on last night...so that is a good sign, but now it is back up again.

Bookmark and Share

Offline rileybug

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 09:40:55 AM »
Your husband isn't willing to spend money on the house but is willing to spend money on a airplane ticket when money is tight-souns like a problem to me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 09:44:23 AM »
the trip has been planned for awhile, and it's our 20th wedding anniversary trip. his ticket and our hotel/car rental are paid for by his company because we are tacking on to a business trip.

Bookmark and Share

Offline rileybug

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 10:17:14 AM »
glad to hear that-it came accross very different than it really is-have a great aniversity trip.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: