Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Tight Diaphragm Muscles Restricting Breathing  (Read 441 times)

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Tight Diaphragm Muscles Restricting Breathing
« on: August 17, 2014, 09:42:02 PM »
I've discussed my almost chronic breathlessness on other threads. I've narrowed it down to tightness of the diaphragm and throat muscles. It leaves me feeling smothered, choking and gasping for a satisfying breath.

This can come and last for weeks only to be relieved by exercise, eating, a benzo or rest. Otherwise its awful when I'm simply sitting around.

I've been a chronic anxiety case since I was 15 (34 year old male). This has to be the most awful of my anxiety symptoms  :dazed:

Can anyone relate?
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Tight Diaphragm Muscles Restricting Breathing
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »
Absolutely!!!  As soon as I get anxious, my breathing is the first thing togo.  I either stop breathing entirely, or hyperventilate.  A very uncomfortable feeling.  My husband confronting me about some checks I wrote this am and I immediately started feeling breathless.
I noticed the feeling and went on until I calmed down.

Reid Wilson's book,"Don't Panic" has been a big help to me.

I wish you peace.

Julie
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tiffannyb123

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:26:48 PM »
I have this all day, everyday. My only anxiety symptom.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:56:38 PM »
Dang it this has been really vexing me today
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 03:33:52 PM »
I experience this almost everyday for the majority of the day. I sympathize so deeply with anyone going through this because it is truly horrible and debilitating. I've ran to the ER multiple times swearing up and down that something is wrong and I can't breathe properly but everything always comes back clear.
My doctor say it's all anxiety but it's so hard to believe when it's so bothersome and consistent!
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 10:08:04 PM »
I experience this almost everyday for the majority of the day. I sympathize so deeply with anyone going through this because it is truly horrible and debilitating. I've ran to the ER multiple times swearing up and down that something is wrong and I can't breathe properly but everything always comes back clear.
My doctor say it's all anxiety but it's so hard to believe when it's so bothersome and consistent!

Yep, I'm a 34 year old make that's had anxiety since my teens. This "breathlessness" started when I was 29. I have a hard time some days accepting it's just "anxiety". I'm always searching for an alternative diagnosis...like they are missing something lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline brittanyborg

• Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 05:28:55 AM »

Yep, I'm a 34 year old make that's had anxiety since my teens. This "breathlessness" started when I was 29. I have a hard time some days accepting it's just "anxiety". I'm always searching for an alternative diagnosis...like they are missing something lol

I know what you mean, I am usually always searching for the alternative also. I have a really good doctor (actually two) who have both promised me that I truly don't have anything to worry about so I guess it just comes to a point where you have to put some blind trust into a professional and continue on living your life to the best of your ability. Sometimes I have really bad days but I try not to let the negative bad days interfere with the progress I make on my good days. I would do anything not to feel like this but for now I'm really trying to be accepting. If you ever find you alternative diagnosis please share it with me because I feel as if we're suffering with something extremely similar.
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Offline MR PA

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 11:11:56 AM »
I have this all day, everyday. My only anxiety symptom.

me to you find anything that helps?
Bookmark and Share

Offline MR PA

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 11:14:10 AM »

yeah i almost when to ER yesterday because of this,its kinda a new symtom for me,my back gets tight and burns to BUT the heating pad helps a little
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 04:09:59 PM »
It's a crazy process IMO. The second I start to focus on my breathin the muscles lock up and I feel like I'm suffocating. If I distract myself I'm fine. The problem is when I spend hours gasping for a satisfying breath the breathing muscles get fatigued making me feel more out of breath.

With all that said I bought a pulse oximeter. My oxygen saturation is 98-99% even when I feel like I'm suffocating.

It's almost like a full blown somatization disorder.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 04:16:47 PM »
If there is something wrong with me...I'm them most unlucky person on the planet when it comes to doctors  :spineyes:  :P
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tiffannyb123

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 11:10:05 PM »
Mr pa, what helps me the most is doing a deep stretching yoga called yin yoga. Since my anxiety has kept me from going to my yoga class the last couple of months, I use Leslie Fightmasters yin yoga class on YouTube at home.  It stretches a lot of the back muscles and does not get me out of breath at all.  I also sometimes have the burning back and the heating pad also helps me with that. Sometimes I get a sharp feeling in my back around my scapula and I put a tennis ball on the floor and lay myself on top of it. It feels soooooo good. I read a couple of anxiety/panic attack books that really helped too, along with therapy.
I wouldn't wish this feeling on my worst enemy (if I had one), so I hate to see so many people suffering with it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MR PA

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 08:02:10 AM »
Mr pa, what helps me the most is doing a deep stretching yoga called yin yoga. Since my anxiety has kept me from going to my yoga class the last couple of months, I use Leslie Fightmasters yin yoga class on YouTube at home.  It stretches a lot of the back muscles and does not get me out of breath at all.  I also sometimes have the burning back and the heating pad also helps me with that. Sometimes I get a sharp feeling in my back around my scapula and I put a tennis ball on the floor and lay myself on top of it. It feels soooooo good. I read a couple of anxiety/panic attack books that really helped too, along with therapy.
I wouldn't wish this feeling on my worst enemy (if I had one), so I hate to see so many people suffering with it.

thanks for the info
Bookmark and Share

Offline 1looneychick

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 02:54:50 AM »
I get this a lot too.  I read somewhere to breathe into a paper bag for about 30 seconds, it does help some.  I wish I knew the answer for this but that's all I got.  It is nerve-wracking
Bookmark and Share

Offline MeridianAD

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 06:01:08 AM »
With all that said I bought a pulse oximeter. My oxygen saturation is 98-99% even when I feel like I'm suffocating.

Does that make you feel any better?

I too have the same symptom. I always end up breathing in deeply and sighing every few minutes, much more often than other people I'm around, because I feel like I never get a deep breath.

There are some times when it just gets so bad that I'll convince myself that I must be suffocating, and I'm expecting that I'm going to faint at any moment from it. I also get lightheadedness, but I think that's actually from uncontrollably hyperventilating in response. A few times I've gotten a panic attack because of how scared I got from thinking I'm going to suffocate.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: