Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can Location Cause Anxiety?  (Read 98 times)

Offline MOGirl76

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can Location Cause Anxiety?
« on: August 17, 2014, 08:50:24 PM »
Hi all,

Well, I just returned from my annual trip back to my hometown.  I felt so much better while I was there with my family and things and places that I grew up with. Anyway, since I got back I started thinking, can location cause anxiety or at least intensify it? I moved here when I was 19, it was not a move I wanted to make but I didn't have a job at the time and it was a family move. I've not been happy since I've been here. I'm trying to move back finally.  What do you think? Just a thought that popped into my head. Anyone else have anything similar or any ideas?
Bookmark and Share

Offline MITRush

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can Location Cause Anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:52:27 PM »
Certainly, "a place" is one of the things that your brain can make neuro-associations with.  There are people I've known who did not feel anxiety for years after recovering and when they went back to a certain place, the symptoms came back as if they never left.  The key is to get through this small setback.  You have to teach your brain that there is no real danger, and the only real way to do that is to not tense or try to make the anxiety go away when that neuro association is triggered (i.e. when you return to the place of suffering).  By trying to make the anxiety go away, you are telling your brain "yes, this is in fact dangerous."  Think of it as you are correcting that association in your brain so that it no longer fires off as danger.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MOGirl76

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can Location Cause Anxiety?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 02:25:36 PM »
Hmm.  I'm wondering if, by leaving where I am now and going back, if it will get better.  So, you're saying that since the anxiety didn't become really a full blown problem until I moved here that I've trained my brain to associate my current location as "bad"? That makes sense. No matter where I go I hate coming back here ("here" is Texas, "home" is Missouri).
Bookmark and Share

Tags: