Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Serious Illnesses and Alcohol?  (Read 120 times)

Offline OmegaMan

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Serious Illnesses and Alcohol?
« on: August 17, 2014, 08:18:46 AM »
My brain tumor/aneurysm fear has flared up in the past few days. I was getting all kinds of pains in my head, facial twitches etc., all beginning around nightfall when my anxiety is at its peak. So last night I decided to hang out with some friends and get my mind off things. Surely enough some of the pains started to rear their ugly head. One thing led to another and we ended up drinking. After a few drinks all the little aches and pains and twitches just disappeared.

Now let me be clear, I'm not planning on using alcohol as some kind of coping mechanism. I don't drink that often being that I'm usually the driver at parties. I have gone months without drinking and it was never the first thing on my mind. However it did give me some sort of relief in the sense that if it was really something serious, would the symptoms just go away with a few beers?

So I was just wondering when it comes to things like brain tumors/aneurysms and other serious illnesses, would alcohol be able to make the symptoms of the disease just leave without a trace?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Serious Illnesses and Alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 08:26:08 AM »
My brain tumor/aneurysm fear has flared up in the past few days. I was getting all kinds of pains in my head, facial twitches etc., all beginning around nightfall when my anxiety is at its peak. So last night I decided to hang out with some friends and get my mind off things. Surely enough some of the pains started to rear their ugly head. One thing led to another and we ended up drinking. After a few drinks all the little aches and pains and twitches just disappeared.

Now let me be clear, I'm not planning on using alcohol as some kind of coping mechanism. I don't drink that often being that I'm usually the driver at parties. I have gone months without drinking and it was never the first thing on my mind. However it did give me some sort of relief in the sense that if it was really something serious, would the symptoms just go away with a few beers?

So I was just wondering when it comes to things like brain tumors/aneurysms and other serious illnesses, would alcohol be able to make the symptoms of the disease just leave without a trace?

no.

people with actual serious diseases would still not be able walk or  see or breath well or _________.

recognize, too, depending on how bad anxiety is OR if, while drinking you are still monitoring how you feel,  just like any distraction, having a fun night out with friends won't work.   by which I mean  deeply entrenched anxiety takes time to leave a body.  and  if you monitor while 'having fun',  means a mind and body aren't really relaxing.

SO  omega----congrats you were successfully  able to distract yourself to get a good, solid "aha moment"   ;D
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 08:29:16 AM »
while having an occasional night out kicking back and having a few is fine and FUN , next time try adding some solid  distractions like hiking, bowling, community service, hobbies you enjoy.....    :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 08:42:38 AM »
I concur with what was said above. IMO and from what I've seen in post after post from others, alcohol and anxiety don't mix even once in a while. It may offer a small resbit from the symptoms but most pay dearly for a little reverie with more anxiety due to the morning after. If you are on meds, drinking is a definite no no.

I'm glad you clarified that you're not self medicating. Hopefully due to the fact that the fears/symptoms dissipated, it would logically prove that indeed, there's nothing physical wrong and that anxiety is the root of the problem. As sixpack said, finding another distraction would be prudent. 

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Online patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 08:44:23 AM »
No.  Alcohol would not make the symptoms of a brain tumor or aneurysm go away.  Alcohol is a muscle relaxer and probably relieved your stress which caused the symptoms to go away. 

Since you don't drink often, it worked for you however, the more often you drink the less it will work and will ultimately, fuel your anxiety even more.
Bookmark and Share

Offline OmegaMan

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 09:21:54 AM »
Thank you all for your responses. I have been trying to exercise more and have been looking into therapy. I was just having a flare up of health anxiety that was the result of head pain and a sore neck. I was freaking out until I realized in the middle of hanging out that the pain and my head and neck went away. It was just good to have a little epiphany and calm down for a while because all of the worrying kind of halted the improvements I've been trying to make.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: