Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: can too much choline cause fasciculations  (Read 137 times)

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
can too much choline cause fasciculations
« on: August 17, 2014, 07:03:02 AM »
Hi, I have a question. I have had Benign Fasiculation Syndrome for a while. It will never progress to anything worse which is good, but is still a pain to live with. So basically the muscles fasiculate all day long, which looks like twitching under the skin. I have good days and bad days. Of course, caffeine seems to make the eyelid and calf muscles twitch more, but even without caffeine, I still get them. Also they are worse when I get my period, and hormones play a role in the twitching. I would like to figure out a way to just not have them at all anymore. I did have my acetylcholine tested and that is in range normal. I was doing some reading recently, and choline and lecithin is a precursor to acetylcholine, so i wonder if in theory, if you have too many dietary sources of lecithin/choline, than could that cause benign fasiculations? Food sources are egg yolks, soy, and liver, milk, also found in some other foods but those things are the highest. I have been eating two eggs every day for the past couple years. For a long while i was on a high protein diet before the twitching started. It just makes me wonder. Yesterday I didn't eat any eggs but i did have some milk and also i cut out a lot of protein, i just ate a little chicken at lunch and some ground turkey, like 2 ounces at dinner, no nuts all day. I want to see if i stop eating eggs and cut out a lot of protein if the twitching will go away. Oh, and by the way, there seems to be 2 categories of people who suffer with fasiculations, the 2 groups are: of course people with anxiety disorders under high stress, and people that are athletic and lift weights and usually on high protein, high fat, low carb diets. I fit into the athletic category, however, i did have a high stress period before i got BFS as in I had a cancer scare with my daughter, but then all her testing came back normal (i have never felt so sick in my life during that time period) so I don't really think it is anxiety but i think i developed BFS because of the diet I was on along with exercise/weight lifting. And even though i no longer do that diet or weight lifting i still get fasiculations, just not like how it was before. Thoughts or does anyone know about this? I am going to stop eating eggs to see if that helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: can too much choline cause fasciculations
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 12:54:41 PM »
eggs have about 113 mg of choline, a quart of milk about 170. and the upper limit for daily choline amounts is 3,500 ml. You would have to try very, very hard to go over the safe amount with what you've been eating. There's really no need to stop eating things you like.

Also just to remind you, health anxiety makes us look for any possible reason for our problem besides anxiety. But if that problem is associated with anxiety, its usually much more likely to be caused by it rather than by something else unrelated.
Bookmark and Share

Online thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 03:48:26 PM »
People who formerly, or currently, weightlift/are athletic are usually health-aware and are putting physical stress on their bodies. Stress seems consistent with causing BFS regardless of origin. In fact I think it can come from a combination of sources. You'll find altering your diet does little to help. Accept it is anxiety and stop believing it can be anything else. Based on the way you're reassuring yourself and seaching for other causes and bouncing your thoughts off an anxiety forum you still have doubts. Mine have very nearly completely stopped and it wasn't due to dietary improvement. 
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 08:08:27 PM »
Yes I often do wonder is it anxiety but I'm confused if it is or not because no one thinks I have anxiety or depression including my doctor so it's really annoying. I went one time to a neurologist and since the fasics started 3 days after infection with norovirus and salmonella at the same time, that I have post infectious BFS and eventually it should stop. But I always wonder if my former diet set me up for it and that infection was the straw that straw that broke the camels back. In my prior diet I worked out daily and ate clean but too much protein. When I started eating grains again I got better and whenever I tried to cut out grains I get worse again so it's very frustrating.
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 07:23:59 AM »
ill tell u my story of what started me on the diet, i had chest pain and abnormal ekg so i do stress test and it was normal, no hypertrophy, so they say prob gerd so then i get egd cause i can do that for free because of where i work and surprisingly small bowel biopsy is abnormal... differential is celiac, autoimmune disease, collagen vascular disease. so then i get genetic test for celiac which is negative, thyroid test normal, ANA negative, so i never got an answer but i thought maybe i am one of those extremely small percentage of people that are only positive celiac by biopsy even though they do not carry genetic markers. So i do gluten free for one month and did feel better but thats because i cut out all the crappy junk food i was eating. Then i take it a step further and do dairy and gluten free for a month and that is when i started getting a ton of energy, losing weight, looking really really good, my stomach wasn't bloated making me look like i was pregnant. Then i just decide to go straight paleo and have no grains and no dairy at all and i started exercising, weight lifting daily. I looked the best i ever did my entire life. The downside was to live that lifestyle, you have to constantly prepare food and cant eat out anywhere so that makes it difficult to hang out with friends which sucked, and no alcohol. So i did that for several months, then started getting this flushed feeling in the mornings when i woke up, its hard to describe, but ive never experienced that before. Then i take my daughter to doctor because she was complaining of burning when she peed, then they say she has premature adrenarche and we have to make sure she does not have a tumor secreting hormones that is causing this, so i say what do you mean a tumor? and the doc said yes a tumor, they usually are not benign. So i left the office in shock and started to think about OMG what if she has cancer, my little girl, she is only 6 years old. I had to wait 2 weeks for labs and bone scan to get done and everything was fine, but I was so upset during that time period i don't know if i had a nervous breakdown, for real, i was so jumpy and so scared during that 2 week period and i had to hide it and keep it together because i did not want my daughter to worry because if she saw me worrying than that would not be good. All her testing came back normal but i have never felt right mentally since then, like just more on the jumpy side i guess you could say, but nobody realizes i feel this way, i just hide it, but inside, i do not feel the same. I even wonder if i am suffering from post-traumatic stress or something. So then a month later both my daughter and i get sick with flu type illness and rash. Then a month after that i get norovirus and salmonella at the same time and 3 days after that is when fasiculations start. I get better but still continue with diet and feel horrible. Lots of body pains, mentally just really jumpy feeling and not relaxed, losing weight, and muscle twitching. So i stop my diet and start eating grains and more carbs and feel a lot better, sleep better, don't twitch as bad, mentally feel more relaxed. Then i try to go back to paleo type diet avoiding grains and feel real crappy again. So i flip flop back and forth a while between grain avoidance and just normal way of eating... and i always get better when i do low protein, high carb, lots of grains. SO that is my long story.... so if you guys were me would you say this just sounds like anxiety disorder, or post traumatic stress, or it really is postinfectious and maybe i just learned anxiety from postinfectious BFS because its tough to live with, or maybe really something is going on in my body with the muscles and it is not my brain causing fasiculations. I just don't know. I have many autoimmune disorders in immediate family, such as connective tissue disease, hashimoto, and multiple sclerosis... so i would not be surprised if i did have some rheumatic thing going on, but my ANA is negative, so i think really that infection i had just really messed me up. I just don't know?
Bookmark and Share