Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I keep feeling dizzy  (Read 3480 times)

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: I keep feeling dizzy
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 12:46:25 PM »
I will tell you what I love about that type of singing. You need a good voice to be able to sing such songs. That's what makes the songs beautiful. It is a gift to be able to sing minus the music. On weekends on the radio here there does be a show on that has a lot of that type of stuff. It can make me drift off. I am nearly certain it is Raidió na Gaeltachta because you never hear a word of English spoken. They play other folk music from other countries as well. But most of what they play is in Gaelic. Is relaxing to listen to. I recall a programme on TV called ' Hands '. Old video footage of times long since gone. The women fixing the fishing nets and singing their songs as they worked. Would be a village thing. One takes up the lead and they all join in with the chorus. The programme was about old skills that have long since died off. In other words people doing things by hand. Crafts that would probably be done using a computer or a machine today. The people were so gifted back then. I remember getting a chance one to try make a basket once used thatched reeds. Talk about hard. Yet on one of these programmes we saw a man making one in a matter of minutes. Didn't have to look at what he was doing. Think the word is ' skill '. I wonder at times if life would have been better back then. Not as much by way of TV or computers or even cars. I know life was tougher. The people seemed more at peace in their living. Where I live is a concrete jungle. Noise, noise, noise and even more noise. Is good to listen to such music and let the mind drift backwards in time. To another age. Going to post a song by Runrig. They are from Scotland. They do have a lot of modern tracks. But they also sing a lot of tribal sort of songs. In honour of the Clans of old Scotland. The only other place I ever lived for a time. In the Highlands of Scotland. Before coming back to Dublin. I enjoyed what music I could find over there too. That was similar enough to our own music. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chcZxnzdzrY

The second song I just love. Scottish friend put me onto this band. Lot of their songs are in Gaelic. Lot used in films too. Played a lot on Irish radio too. Capercaillie is the band. More popular over here than Scotland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvqwH_mSZco

And that has been Top of the Pops ( Traditional style ) for another evening.  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Mairi

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
Those were really haunting. I think I actually might've heard that second one before, but I'm not sure. I absolutely love sean nos singing as well. Some nights I fall asleep listening too it. And sometimes I think things were better back then, too. I would like so much to live during those times and see those things for myself. It seems life was better back then. Everything was in balance as it should be. Old traditions were still thriving and music was an even bigger part of everyday life than it is now. Life was fascinating back then. I feel sometimes like I was born in the wrong time. It's why I'm such a history geek! My sister actually has a piper friend who is so into old ways and keeping traditions that he dresses in clothing that look like something one might've worn in the 1800s when he plays! He says the same thing, too- "I was born in the wrong time."  Do you happen to play an instrument?
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 01:48:21 PM »
Think we were all born in the wrong era. Just take me back a thousand years or more when warriors fought their battles and I would gladly die a happy man. With the name I use on here, I thought people might understand it better if I spelt it a simpler way. Gaelic spelling of it is Cú Chulainn. I knew they would never understand that. Biggest question I am asked is how to say the name and what it means. So begin the tales of the boy Satanta who killed the hounds of Chulainn and offered to replace them until new hounds could be found. The reaction is always amazing. They want to know more. Then you try and explain hurling to them. Used to be so funny when I used the chat room. That could take up a whole evening. Me and my culture. Was always another person from Ireland in the room too. Who was into all of this as well. We would be the only two chatting at times. The others would be lost. I just sold a Keyboard a few weeks ago. Hadn't used it in a long while. It would take me an hour or so to count instruments in this house. My mother is amazing. Pick up anything and play it straight away. I am not that good. But taught myself how to read music. Have tried them all. From pan pipes to the tin whistle. Some weird African instruments thrown in to the mix as well. The only thing Irish Irish I don't do well is drink.  :laugh3: A non drinking Irishman. Was house bound for ten years. So pubs and the likes were never of interest to me at all. I would just simply join in with any singing here at home. Microphone in hand and suddenly I am at peace. It is like the room is empty. Trouble is getting the microphone back off me. Odd when you think about it. Never a person from crowded places. Unless it involved a microphone. That is not saying I can sing like some expert. I just know the songs off by heart. Unlike some others who need to read the lyrics as they go. This forum keeps changing post by post. By the time we are done writing it will probably be green in colour.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 12:01:18 AM »
Mm, yes, I noticed your username isn't spelt the usual way. Good idea to spell it phonetically. (Whenever I think of Cu Chulainn, I think of the part in the book Angela's Ashes when little Frank wants to hear the story about "Cucu" or something along those lines. :laugh3:) I know, explaining things from Irish culture to others can prove to be very interesting sometimes. Sometimes it drives me mad! I actually was born and live in America, but I have an Irish family and I am still very, well, "Irish" and since I don't really have many friends, this is all I know. Even outside the family, most of our friends are Irish, either born in Ireland, or children of immigrants. Just recently an American woman told me that Irish isn't a language when I said something about speaking Irish. I wanted to scream with frustration because it was the 3rd time someone's told me that ("Really? Then why do I speak it?" I wanted to say. Haha!). It's good someone around here seems to love music as much as I do! African instruments, hm? Very interesting! And singing? I used to like to sing when I was younger. Now I only do that by myself! By the way, I gave ASMR a go. It was surprisingly relaxing... :-)
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 05:18:30 AM »
Glad you liked the ASMR. Think when people first watch it they are a bit baffled as to what to aspect to get from it. It is all about tingles. We all have tingle triggers. Once you find the right video it can be great.

Gaelic was accepted as a language within the EU a few years back. Has to be so many people within the Country speaking it for it to be recognised as a language of a Country. It is taken more serious in rural parts of Ireland. Can't say you hear it spoken around areas in Dublin at all. You hear more African spoken than you do Gaelic. Sign of the times. Taken so many people into the Country and they want to use their own language. As I put it, the more we take in the higher the number of non Gaelic speakers we will have in the Country. I always blame the Government. They should have made it our first language years ago. We could have learned English on the streets. Never any importance placed on it in our schools at all. Now, the next step, is going to be a choice as picking one of 4 languages to do in school. Gaelic will be an option. Just like French is an option. Which, to me, is wrong.  You can see the language slipping further away once more once this all begins.

So how are the dizzy spells and the headaches? Any better?
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 11:14:56 AM »
So true! The government needs to place more importance on the language! And even if it is taught in the schools, it isn't taught very well I hear. Have you seen the series "No Bearla" hosted by Manchán Magan? He tries to travel through the country speaking only Irish and never a word of English. It is sad that the native language is becoming a minority language. But who am I to judge? I'm the one whose mother and sister have to practically coax me to speak Irish.  :laugh3: I don't know, I just get... Shy about it. Must be an anxiety thing. My sister has a slight advantage in the language, having studied in the Donegal Gaeltacht (Gweedore). And the dizziness and headaches are a bit better, thank you for asking. :-) They were probably made worse by the fact that I wasn't sleeping well.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 12:27:38 PM »
Good to hear you are feeling better. That's the most important thing out of everything else.

A person going around Ireland using Irish alone wouldn't get very far in most Counties here. There are certain areas it is used in mostly. Gaeltacht areas. We do have Irish schools springing up too in every County. So some families want to keep the language alive. But to make it a normal optional language in schools is a bad move. In Canada, in the French speaking parts, the banned English from the schools to save their language. Every thing was taught in French. It worked too. Within two years a new generation of French speakers came about. Our government is looking at the fact that we are multi-cultural now. They have actually said that French would be more useful to learn in Ireland as it is a common language in the EU. Students in school find it a hard language to learn. So they are happy to not to learn it. Government forms come out to the house every so often. Writing is in both languages. I like to fill in the Gaelic side of the page. It is basic really. Look at the English side to see what they are asking.  :laugh3: Plus given out my home address. I will give out the Gaelic version. To see if the postman knows his Gaelic.  :laugh3: Some items arrive a lot later than they should. I am sure they are working out where the address is.

Back to music for a while. Good modern band. Dublin band. Not traditional. I live various types of music. Once it is good and they play their own instruments. Don't like fabricated bands. We like real music here in Ireland. Dublin has a great music scene. Will post two links. First song is the hottest song around at the moment. Probably the hottest band around too. Kodaline. Finally breaking through. They deserve it. Second one is a singer and song you probably heard before. I know the singer well enough. From years ago. As a rule he sings with his band. The Frames. But this was from a crap film. But the soundtrack won an oscar. Has to be one of the greatest / sweetest songs recorded in a long time. I am posting the video from the film. So you get a bit extra with it. Two of them became friends and recorded an album in the film. He was trying to win his girlfriend back. Her husband was living in another Country. It all have the happy ending everybody wanted.  :spineyes:

Kodaline :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D64eOFwWUd0

Glen Hansard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6slEoCqDD8
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 12:56:07 PM »
That first one is really catchy. I really like it. I am listening to the second one now. It is so pretty. Very sweet, like you said.:-)Sounds slightly familiar. And, yes, good for Canada! Now do the same in Ireland. ;-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 01:18:45 PM »
This is one of my favourite non-traditional songs. Once I was in the car feeling really anxious about something, and suddenly this song came on the radio just at the right time. At that moment it was like it was talking to me, and like this song was written just for me. It was probably the only thing that made me willingly get out of the car to go to school that morning. "The glow that the sun gets right around sunset helps me realise this is just a journey, drop your worries. You're going to turn out fine, oh, youll turn out fine. But you've got to keep your head up"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LMVJ2xd1g8
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »
Should have a head banging smiley. You ever heard of Thin Lizzy before? Lot of their songs take us back in time. Warrior sort of themes in the songs. Guitar and lyrics are amazing in this song. Singer died young. He was the first , how shall we put it, famous black Irish Man. Nobody knew what to expect when he hit the music scene with his band. But they became world known. His grave is well kept in the hills here in Dublin and people from all over the world come to visit it. He simply became a legend here in Ireland. Took the song Whisky in the Jar and done his own rock version of it. That song was the song that made them famous to begin with. As it had been covered by all the Trad bands only in the past. Suddenly a rock version. But I prefer the song ' Emerald '. Bit of an anthem here. Good story of sitting on a train coming home from town one day, with my mother and this lead singer got on the train at one of the stations. He was always dressed like a rock star. His hair was known just as much as he was. His big cowboy boots. He simply began chatting away to us. Just like any other person would. He was telling kids how important it was to stay in school. Little did we know he would be dead within a year. From drugs. So will leave Emerald. Then Whisky in the Jar. I am sure you know the trad version of the second song. Not lived till you heard the rock version of the song.

Emerald

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSJJy8VOmT0

Whisky in the Jar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j4OC7-g_84

Get you rocking in your seat.  :laugh3:

Andy Grammer. Takes all sorts of music. Upbeat sort of song. Kind of reminds me of song that is saying ' I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell '. It's not even heavy metal. A pop song. Rare for me to know any pop songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KD3nO24B8o   Matchbox20 are the band.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 01:53:03 PM »
First time hearing Thin Lizzy. Great music. I have a friend who I think might like this. I will have to show him. ;-) Funny you ran into the lead singer! Unfortunate he used drugs. And oh, I've heard that last one before! It does remind of "Keep You Head Up" too. Rare for me to listen to pop songs, too. I really only listen to trad mostly, and when I don't I end up listening to something old, like Simon and Garfunkel or Cat Stevens. Ever heard this one? It's a cute little song. It makes me feel happy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBLVw92feas
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 02:33:09 PM »
Oddly I have Tea for the Tallerman album on my MP3 player. Have a Mellow playlist on it. Crosby, Stills and Nash, Joni Mitchell, Neill Young, Janis Joplin to name but a few. It can hold a few thousand songs. Have all my CDs on it. Great mixture of every type of music. I don't leave home without it. It has to come with me everywhere I go. One band I love is Pink Floyd. Simply because their songs are about life. Wish you were here. One amazing songs. The lyrics remind me of my life. Could be all our lives. My sing a long song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPL_SV3n7IU

Then we will end with another of their songs that chills me out. Comfortably Numb. Amazing song. Again could be about the life of anybody at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU-OSLBKwG0
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 08:36:05 PM »
I can see how Wish You Were Here could be about our lives. I think my dad likes Pink Floyd. I wonder if he's heard these before. I can't leave home without my iPod, either. I can never be without my music. Another reason I always carry it around with me is in case I happen to freak out while I'm in public. Never know when that's going to happen. So if I do feel one of those "freaking out" moments coming on I can listen to some music and try to absorb myself in it so I'll stay calm. Speaking of Joni Mitchell...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EwlTp6RVI4
Not the original, but my favourite version as fake as it may seem.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 05:37:13 AM »
Good version of the song. One you can certainly chill out to. Nothing like a bit of sunshine and some mellow music. Like to cycle to a park that is a mile or so away. Within the park is an enclosed garden with a water feature in it. The one place I like to sit for an hour or so as I listen to my music during the summer. Even like my Irish contemporary music. That is what I will go with to begin with here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXTCjvheVM4

Second song I just love. Adopted Irishman. He was about to call time on his career and he suddenly made it big in Ireland. Chris Rea is his name. Now what I love about his songs is he can capture that summer feeling in his guitar playing. Amazing how he does it. On the Beach is one amazing song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X0FjlybCqs

He has one of those voices that stands out. No other voice like his. Husky sort of voice. But it works well for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIL8PxLmjm4

Love his songs during winter. As they take me back to the summer months.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Mairi

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 12:05:13 PM »
Chris Rea's music is definitely relaxing. Summer music definitely. I shared On The Beach with my dad and he liked it, too. The videos were really interesting.
     Right now I'm trying to find an amazing video of a woman and a little girl sean nos dancing, but I can't seem to find it. Meh... Well, in the meantime, I thought you might like this one by Clannad. I used to listen to it a lot a while back. Kind of reminds me of warriors!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mR8RyZNzG8
And here is my favourite song by Altan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7J3E-8mAjw
Bookmark and Share

Tags: