Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: The contents of your OCD thoughts - do they matter?  (Read 331 times)

Offline Berabouman

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
The contents of your OCD thoughts - do they matter?
« on: August 14, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »
I've read my fair share of articles and books about OCD (as I'm sure you all have!) but one thing puzzles me - the disagreement about the content of your OCD thoughts. Some books seem to take the stance that you should disregard the content of the thoughts, as they are not important - you could be worried about anything from the world freezing over to whether or not you turned off the stove. It's a kind of "it's not me, it's the OCD" school.

While others seem to say that the content of the thoughts does matter, at least to the extent that they can help us find what it is that we are really worried about (lack of safety, constant betrayals) and gain greater understanding from there. That stance seems to be "no matter how outrageous and worrying the thought is, it may help us in self-growth somehow"

I realize that I am generalizing here and not all experts/books espouse one view at the expense of another. Indeed, like so many things with life, it seems to be a case of "sometimes this is true and sometimes the other"

I ask because I initially was of the "it's just my OCD" school. It provided a sense of relief to know that whatever I was thinking of was most likely an unfounded fear, even if it felt real. However, recently I've been doing some pretty deep work with my childhood trauma with my therapist, and I've realized that almost all (or all!) of my OCD worries are somehow related to my mom - either things she has said, fears she has or (more likely) has displaced onto me. So in that sense focusing on the content of those thoughts may lead me to greater understanding of the condition, and help in general.

What do you all think? Does the actual content of the OCD thoughts matter? If so, how? If not, why not? I'd like to hear whatever anyone has to say about the subject. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline superapple

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: The contents of your OCD thoughts - do they matter?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 03:27:42 PM »
i used to have ocd with a few things, touching things, grouping things into a specific number, and other things like that and they really mattered to me but i have come to realize that what ocd stands for "obsessive compulsive disorder" having an ocd is a disorder so i don't think that it matters what the contents of ocd thoughts are because you don't actually mean it
Bookmark and Share
If I don't reply to your post send me a PM with the link to the post or send me the message :)

Offline Berabouman

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:26:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply! Anyone else care to share their thoughts/experiences?
Bookmark and Share

Online Beth0810

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:47:05 AM »
No, content of the thoughts does not matter.  This is a pattern that your brain gets into, as you know, and the thoughts are just a symptom of that pattern.  It's the pattern, not the thoughts, that matters.  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline fr8train

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 10:08:53 AM »
I relate with u as my parents have been terrible to me.  To the extent that its the ocd and not you i cant believe that because i have ocd about things that anyone says.  my mind can take a thought and just roll with it and scare me to unbelievable extents.  I hope the best for you.  It is just the ocd because ocd is a mean and unmerciful assailant, but that dosent mean we cant beat it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: