Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Had a full blown panic attack at work  (Read 181 times)

Offline fordaisy

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Had a full blown panic attack at work
« on: August 12, 2014, 10:05:25 PM »
We had a staff meeting today & thought I would be ok without taking anything to relax. The room was small and 18 people walked in, most of them were new employees. Then they shut the door and I was stuck in a corner NOT near the door (my only escape route). I started feeling nervous and excused myself, walked out the door and took 1/2 an ativan.
I managed to get through the introduction part but when my supervisor started talking, I suddenly became aware of my heart palpations & went into a full blown panic attack. My heart was racing, I was shaking and out of control in a public place at my work in front of everyone! It was horrible!
I grabbed my purse on my lap, dug out my pills and took the other half of my ativan. I don't think anyone knew what was going on, at least I hope not. I was hiding behind my purse & drinking water to keep my arms moving as I was freaking out & just wanted to run out of the room. I practiced deep breathing and calmed down and finally 1/2 hour later the meds kicked in.
I found out today I will be doing intervention with the kids. This is a relief as it is a one on one thing with the kids and I can sit down with them in a calm environment.
Has anyone had any wild stories of panic attacks in a public place where you were freaking out?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Had a full blown panic attack at work
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 11:04:04 PM »
One time i was walking home and had a panic attack. And i get vertigo when i panic. So at some point, the cops stopped me thinking i was intoxicated. That was a fun hour or so. Because of course, with the vertigo i could barely een stand, and with the police hassling me it only made the panic continue. Trying to explain to someone that you are having a panic attack while you are having one is extremely difficult.

Fortunately whether they believed me or not, they thought i was ill (Probably because I'd started shaking) and called for an ambulance. The paramedics promptly realized I was having a panic attack. Sadly, I do not remember most of the details of this event. Just that I would refuse to go out on walks for about eight months afterwards.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MJH

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 11:07:16 PM »
I've had one just sitting at my desk at work. Thought the sound of my having difficulty breathing would have freaked out my co-workers, but when I asked them about it afterward they had no idea anything had happened
Bookmark and Share

Offline fordaisy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 11:08:05 PM »
Oh my gosh - that is horrible. What do you do when you have a panic attack in public? Do you have any pills you take?
Bookmark and Share

Offline CanadianWhatnot

• Uh..
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:19:21 PM »
I had a rather difficult one in a restaurant the other day because we (my wife and I) were seeing my parents. They always bring out the worst in me, especially my mother because she believes the worst of every situation (it's where I get my glorious anxious mind from).

Literally a minute after sitting down everything started. My legs got heavy and I began imagining that I couldn't walk out the door. My heart was pounding, my head was swimming with thoughts, my gut was churning away, everything was wild for several minutes. I somehow managed to order food (not sure what I ordered but it was tasty) and made it through, but every single moment was an excruciating siege of something else followed by something else. In the span of about 45 minutes, I gave myself every ailment known to man and the pounding in my chest would not stop until I reached the parking lot and realized it was over.

I'm not on any medication and I don't really have an "out" other than going through it, but the relief after it being over is honestly better than anything.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fordaisy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 11:24:40 PM »
OMG CanadianWhatNot. You are a much stronger person than I am to live with that horror for 45 minutes. I would have excused myself and ran to the bathroom or car. Could ordering a drink have helped you through it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline CanadianWhatnot

• Uh..
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 08:30:15 AM »
I was thinking about it, but my parents are VERY judgmental and would've been giving me shifty looks the whole time. That might've made me feel worse.

I obviously have to attack this problem at the source and find a way to disconnect from my enmeshed relationship with my parents. (Yes, I've been reading some self-help books lol).
Bookmark and Share

Tags: