Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is it anxiety of something else  (Read 278 times)

Offline AbbiM

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Is it anxiety of something else
« on: August 01, 2014, 08:48:40 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is being put n the right place or perhaps if I'm even on the right discussion thread, but recently things feel like there getting out of control and I'm not sure what is happening to me.

A few years ago I used to have a problem eating in front of people that were not my immediate family or eating out at a resturant - my throat would close up and I just couldn't swallow. I also used to find that every time we went away on holiday, on the first night I would suffer nausea and tiredness and occasionally vomit, but after that I calmed down and enjoyed the holiday as normal. For the last five years all of this had gone, I could go away without being sick and I could eat in a restaurant perfectly normally.

Back in March we were away and I sat down in a cafe for dinner, and suddenly i felt sweaty and like I wanted to retch, I was unable to eat all my food. I then spent the rest of the afternoon retching. After that I felt better but was still unable to eat for the rest of the holiday as my throat was very tight and I was scared If I ate I would be sick. Once I return home my appetite returns to normal and I am eating normally without retching. The same scenario happened when we went away in June, I hardly ate, and kept having attacks of nausea and retching.

It was earlier this month things seemed to get worse and I felt like I was loosing control. It started on a family day out where we were off early and stopped in a cafe for breakfast I ordered my food feeling fine and hungry and whilst we were waiting for food to be served the usual feeling came across me of the throat tightening so I could not swallowing and the gagging and retching. After this I struggled to eat hardly anything for the rest of the day. The next day me and my husband went on holiday, i was ok until we got there and then i found myself retching and being physically sick again. For the rest of the week we were away I was hardly able to eat anything, my throat would close up and I would panic about that If I ate I would be sick. I find it really frustrating as I don't understand why I am acting like this and I get frustrated that I don't seem to be able to control anything and it is spoiling what should be fun times. We are due to go away again in a couple of months and I'm terrified we are going to waste so much of the holiday with me not feeling great and not being able to eat out. I then start to panic that perhaps I have a serious illness - perhaps something life threatening.

As soon as I am home and eating at home, my appetite returned to normal, and i stopped retching.

I don't know if this makes any sense to anyone, but if it does I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you.
Bookmark and Share
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is it anxiety of something else
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 10:02:08 AM »
Hi Abbi, and welcome to Anxiety Zone...  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Abbi, what you have written sounds identical to what I was going through some five years ago.  My problem also started in restaurants.  I could be halfway through a nice meal, and suddenly I wouldn't feel just right.  I felt like my throat was closing-up and I would have slight trouble catching my breath.  I would have to excuse myself and go to the bathroom until it passed.  I didn't realize that I was having small panic attacks.  As time went on, the attacks got worse.

I was diagnosed with panic disorder with panic attacks.  I now see a psychiatrist, and she is in charge of my mental health needs.  I also see a psychologist for therapy sessions.  I am on anti-depressant therapy, and also being taught cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), and I am doing so much better.

Again, welcome to Anxiety Zone, Abbi.  The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline AbbiM

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 10:26:19 AM »
Hi Chuck,

Not that I want anyone to suffer with anything, I do find a lot of relief from reading that you have gone through the same thing. Having to excuse myself to go the bathroom is also a common occurrence. I find myself automatically locating the bathroom whenever we go anywhere and working out the fastest route there if we're not sat near!

As recently everything seems worse I keep considering whether I should go to the Doctor, but I always feel a bit wary as to whether they'll take me seriously.

It is reassuring to know that you are doing so much better.
Bookmark and Share
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Offline Kavenchols

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 03:35:12 AM »
That being said, sometimes symptoms are serious and do require emergency medical attention. If you are unsure whether your symptoms stem from anxiety and panic or from an underlying physical problem, do not hesitate to seek medical attention.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 09:45:54 PM »
13 years ago I literally couldn't swallow while eating in public. It was a psychological nightmare. I would tense up and as soon as I was ready to swallow food the muscles would lock up. I developed a fear of choking that made it worse. I would have to always have something to drink while eating and I would take small bites. Everybody else would be finished eating and I would be halfway through because I was taking such small bites.

It comes back from time to time but not like it did 13 years ago. It simply went away.
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Tags: