Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Facial asymetry and dentation of muscle, please help me through this  (Read 87 times)

Offline Rasalhauge

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So, Iīve been obsessing about this ALS-crap for what seems to be ages and then some. Iīve taken a big step against it today, and made arangements to start CBT, physiotherapy, psychological counseling (basically just examining why Iīm wired this way). I have an apointment with a neurologist comming up, but was adviced against going since my doctors couldnīt find anything abnormal at all and they believe it would just intensify my belief in ALS.

Nevertheless, I have managed to get over most of my symptoms by going on oh so many long and intensive MTB-rides. Most symptoms have significantly lessened or completely disappeared. But, I have some problems (that arenīt actual symptoms) still apparent. One of the most annoying is the tension in my face, it has caused my facial expression to be all but gone. I is actually physically hard for me to even smile Could anxiety or depression cause that? Or could my initial fear of Parkinsonīs have been correct (masked facial expression is more or less a cardinal sign of PD)?

Then thereīs this thing about my face that keeps bugging me. As of latelly, i.e. since I got convinced I have ALS, noticed that my face is rather asymetrical. My cheeks have quite a noticeable difference in muscle/fatty tissue, and when I tense my face (make a face) I can notice two very distinct dents in my right cheek (maybe 3-4mm in diameter and maybe 1mm deep), but they arenīt noticeable when I donīt tense up my facial muscles. What could this be? Could it have been there all the time I had severe acne when I was a teenager, and took some quite heavy medications (isotretinoin) against it. Could that in someway have aletered my fatty/muscle tissue permanently?

I also feel like one corner of my mouth is drooping (and it looks like it might be a little), could it somehow be due to tension in face?

Iīm trying really hard to think logically about this, so please, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Bookmark and Share
Actual diagnoses;

- OCD (HA and others)
- GAD
- Major depression
- IBS and Gastritis
- Hemisensory symptoms and somatorform disorder

Self diagnosed with;

Bulbar onset ALS, Limb onset ALS, Young onset Parkinsons disease, MS, Rheumatoid arthritis, muscular dystrophia, and so many more....

Offline SkittishSari

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Re: Facial asymetry and dentation of muscle, please help me through this
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:17:39 PM »
Everyone has an asymmetrical face. Google Shannon Doherty and look at her eyes! Or just think of people having a dimple on one cheek and not the other. And by the way, dimples are caused by weak muscles and they are fine.

So glad you are pursuing therapy. I hope you can get to the point where you won't feel you need the appt. with the neurologist.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SkittishSari

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 11:22:40 PM »
Also, Tom Cruise. totes asymmetrical.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 05:35:04 AM »
TL;DR I already know you don't have ALS. Dents are not the same as LMN atrophy. Dents are never ALS. Muscles waste as a whole, not in compartment units of the same muscles.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 10:05:01 AM »
My facial muscles always feel off when I'm under immense stress - it started maybe a year ago and now whenever I'm very anxious or tense if I try to smile my mouth cramps and shakes like crazy.  Weird as hell, but I assume that's just part of the anxiety life.
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 10:12:56 AM »
As stated asymmetry not only of the face but, hands, arms. shoulders, legs, feet etc is VERY normal.  What I don't trust is your ability to self examine.  Glad to hear you are doing the things you need to do.  But, haven't you learned one thing by now?  Your ability to examine and assess yourself is poor at best?
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Tags: