Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Pretty sure I just electrocuted myself a little...  (Read 268 times)

Offline pluperfecthell

• May
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My panic attack is having a panic attack.
    • Poke This Member
Pretty sure I just electrocuted myself a little...
« on: July 10, 2014, 04:12:14 AM »
It's like 4:00 a.m. and I went to the bathroom and washed my hands but didn't dry them very well. My pinky bumped into the part of the Mac charger  that goes into the laptop when I was getting back in bed and I felt a shock. My arm feels kind of sore and I'm scared that that was a serious shock. AGHHH, WHY DIDN'T I JUST DRY MY HANDS CORRECTLY?!?!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pretty sure I just electrocuted myself a little...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 05:01:13 AM »
Is there a visible burn on your skin? If not you're fine, the electricity wasn't enough to cause meaningful damage. Any damage to your heart would've been obvious by now. So if you are not dead and are reading this, you can assume it wasnt enough to kill you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline pluperfecthell

• May
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:13:19 AM »
No, no visible burns! I was barefoot and my feet weren't touching the ground so I'm paranoid that an electric shock is running through my body and that when I shower or plug the toaster in while I make breakfast, I'm gonna feel the shock. I'm so dumb. I'm feeling a prickling sensation in my hands and arms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 05:29:32 AM »
Okay. You realise, 'serious shocks' like. Kill you. And they don't feel like a 'maybe' shock.

I have been seriously shocked as a child. You don't second-guess that kind of electrocution.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline pluperfecthell

• May
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 05:50:11 AM »
I know. That's the most frustrating thing about health anxiety... You know it's irrational but that doesn't stop you from worrying about it. I've been too nervous to go to sleep for the past hour and a half. I don't know much about shocks and I definitely don't want to google anything.

I just feel like the whole wet hands + no shoes + feet not touching floor + the charger was a bad combination and my arm is bothering me with all these random sensations. I feel like I should sleep it off and I'll be over it in the morning. I just have to talk myself into it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 06:11:28 AM »
You stub a toe or hit your arm into something it can send a shock like wave shooting through you. I doubt you got an electrical shock at all. Most probably just the normal type of reaction shock we all get if we walk into things.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline pluperfecthell

• May
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 06:16:54 AM »
I didn't walk into anything or hit myself though. I touched the part of a laptop charger that plugs into the laptop with my hand wet and instantly felt a shock.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 06:36:43 AM »
You are still here and writing about it. Couldn't have been all that bad. Or else you wouldn't be here to tell the tale.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline pluperfecthell

• May
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 06:49:12 AM »
True, I guess. I didn't know if the effects would only be instantaneous or not since I've never experienced anything like this before. It's been over two hours and the sun is up, so I'm gonna try and see if I can bring myself to sleep and hopefully I'll feel better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 06:49:47 AM »
Pluper, when I was electrocuted I lost control of my entire body. I literally just fell over. You'd know. You wouldn't be tasered then question whether you were tasered. And the kind of electrocution you're talking about is like 10 times that. Oh, and it hurts. It doesn't tingle. It hurts.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline pluperfecthell

• May
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 07:00:28 AM »
Well. That sounds horrifying. What I felt was like the shock I get from shopping carts sometimes but I was just 100x more scared because my hands were wet and the whole feet thing. The tingling keep switching from hand to hand and to my feet. I'm having some annoying chest symptoms but I'm hoping that if anything worse was going to happen, it would've by now. This is so ridiculous, I've stayed up until 7 A.M.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lars Thorwald

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 11:37:04 AM »
Let this be a lesson to you: avoid washing hands after using bathroom.
Bookmark and Share
"For days after death, hair and fingernails continue to grow but phone calls taper off." --Johnny Carson

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 01:17:47 PM »
I once got a jolt from an electrified fence big enough to knock me on my feet. Then were was that one time that I accidentally put the business end of a screwdriver into an electrical socket. Even big shocks don't necessarily do any damage.

Have you never gotten a bit of a shock from static electricity buildup? You're probably dealing with about the same amount of voltage; which is to say, not much.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 09:07:29 AM »
No, no visible burns! I was barefoot and my feet weren't touching the ground so I'm paranoid that an electric shock is running through my body and that when I shower or plug the toaster in while I make breakfast, I'm gonna feel the shock. I'm so dumb. I'm feeling a prickling sensation in my hands and arms.

I get the same sensation during storms. Thunder startles me, and after a few times it turns to panic, and the symptoms kick in. But whats more important is that electricity cannot do what you are worried it might. If you were to see someone hit by lightning, you could immeidately go to assist them without fear of being affected by the electricity. The electrical charge will have left your body and dispersed before you even felt the pain of the shock.
Bookmark and Share

Offline avianwaif

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • artist and crafter
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 12:51:43 PM »
How did you manage to do this with your 'feet not touching the floor' while you were in the bathroom? Can you fly?!

3 hours worrying is nothing... call your doctor or 24 hour health advice line if still concerned. We can only reassure you so far. We try!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: