Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Ridiculous rabies fear  (Read 164 times)

Offline blakebeck94

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Ridiculous rabies fear
« on: July 10, 2014, 12:06:03 AM »
Once again, I'm afraid I may have contracted a rare but fatal disease. This time it's rabies. Here's my story: I like to do some urban exploring with my friends, and today we went to an abandoned bomb shelter that is located in the middle of a wildlife reserve. When we opened the door to the said bomb shelter, we heard something rustle deep within. It startled us, but we moved in anyway. The entire place was very dark and I couldn't see very well at all. Anyway, I may afraid that this animal or any other possible animal (maybe a bat or a raccoon?) may have been infected with rabies and that I inhaled some saliva or something. I know this is a very rare way to contract a very virus, but once again the fear is consuming me. Somebody please talk me down!
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ridiculous rabies fear
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 12:15:04 AM »
blakebeck94-

Ok..I'm here to talk you down!

Rabies fear apparently is a very common fear for people with HA, as I've learned here on this wonderful website.

Your rational side is telling you that it is a very rare way to contact rabies. Listen to your rational side.

You are safe. You are ok! You do not have rabies.

For what it's worth, I'm very into wildlife. Raccoons sleep in trees during the day.

Also, less than 1/2 of 1% of all bats "might" contract rabies. Bats don't contract it nearly as much as other animals.

I don't know where you live but here in NY, in certain parks, the DEC leave bait for raccoons, etc, called OBV (Oral Bait Vaccine) - I'm sure other states do it, now, too.

Rest easy. You're fine.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Faron79

• Rock-n-Roller!
  • Mood: Silly
    Silly
  • Thoughts CANNOT harm you...therefore fear cannot..
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 12:15:20 AM »
You honestly have a better chance of being hit by lightning today!

Rabies is VERY hard to get. If nothing BIT you...you're 100% FINE.
No skin penetration = NO RABIES.

It's LITERALLY that simple.

Faron
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 02:35:40 AM »
Once again, I'm afraid I may have contracted a rare but fatal disease. This time it's rabies. Here's my story: I like to do some urban exploring with my friends, and today we went to an abandoned bomb shelter that is located in the middle of a wildlife reserve. When we opened the door to the said bomb shelter, we heard something rustle deep within. It startled us, but we moved in anyway. The entire place was very dark and I couldn't see very well at all. Anyway, I may afraid that this animal or any other possible animal (maybe a bat or a raccoon?) may have been infected with rabies and that I inhaled some saliva or something. I know this is a very rare way to contract a very virus, but once again the fear is consuming me. Somebody please talk me down!

Are you serious? I can't. I just can't. You INHALED a mystery animal's rabid saliva.

At least you know it's ridiculous. Because it absolutely is.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline blakebeck94

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 11:43:14 AM »

Are you serious? I can't. I just can't. You INHALED a mystery animal's rabid saliva.

At least you know it's ridiculous. Because it absolutely is.

I know, anxiety got the best of me.

Thanks for the support, guys. I woke up feeling much better, though it's still in the back of my mind. Hopefully the concert I'm going to tonight will help me forget about this stupid scare.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: