Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can you really recover after having so much anxiety for so long?  (Read 260 times)

Offline nomoretears

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
It's been 4 years I've been dealing with this now, and my depression is worse too.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can you really recover after having so much anxiety for so long?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 01:36:06 PM »
Are you taking meds/seeing a therapist for the depression?  When your really depressed take your mind off it by doing something creative.  To me using my artisit side takes away from the negative loops our minds get into during a episode of depression. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline nomoretears

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 02:04:25 PM »
I do enjoy artistic pursuits, but so often, I don't feel like winding down or relaxing, I feel like I don't deserve to be happy, like I haven't done anything to earn it.

I do take meds at night, they don't do much in the day though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 02:43:49 PM »
Your minds like a machine.  You get only what you put into it.  You only put negative in-you'll only get negative out. Its your free time/ hobby.  Doodle, draw, paint whatever gets you out of the funk.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 03:11:46 PM »
I think it is possible to recover, along the lines of what the other post said, changing the way you think can help immensely.  Positive thoughts can be calming, thus calming to the nervous system.

I also agree on staying busy by doing something you love.  I have been painting furniture as a hobby---experimenting with making my own chalk paint.  Some pieces of furniture I have found in the alleys near my home.  Once they are painted etc. they look brand new!  My husband has a booth at the antique mall, I sold two pieces (a dresser and a vanity table) within 2 weeks!  Having a hobby or craft you enjoy can help take your mind off of your anxieties-----gives your mind a break.

Take care :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline abigailb

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 04:29:40 PM »
I wonder the same thing sometimes. I was telling my therapist that I have a lot of trouble distinguishing between anxious and "normal" because I am realizing that anxiety has been my lifelong companion. It's been 6 years since I admitted having anxiety and a few months since starting treatment. One thing I have done recently is get a rescue dog. Not the right choice for everyone, but she gives me something to direct some of my energy toward, and being around her as she progresses to becoming a family pet is calming. I also have a cuddly kitty who loves the crap out of me, and a husband too I guess. :P
Bookmark and Share

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 05:59:32 PM »
It's been 4 years I've been dealing with this now, and my depression is worse too.  :(

Hi NoMore  :action-smiley-065:

Just looking at some of your old posts....

I believe I read you had some major employment and relationship issues, and also you were on Zoloft?

Are you currently taking any medications ?

You can definitely recover from any anxiety  :grinning-smiley-003:, I am an example of this - 30 years worth of Anxiety disorders, Panic Disorder, GAD, OCD - Phobias etc   B-;

I think most SERIOUS anxiety disorders are biological and not psychological - and it wasn't until 7 years later after trying almost everything I could find on self-help that it improved my anxiety about 20% (after hours per day of effort :spineyes:)   - but it did not remove my anxiety... it stayed, until I started to try different medications - after some effort - found the right combination that quickly stablized my anxiety, and within a year removed all major anxiety problems - where I could live a normal life  :action-smiley-065:

Hope this helps  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Tags: