Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Social Media giving me anxiety  (Read 189 times)

Offline lindotts

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Social Media giving me anxiety
« on: July 09, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »
Is anyone else experiencing anxiety related to *****?

I look at how long friends have been off, or whether they've read messages, and whatnot, and worry constantly about them for some reason.

It's starting to scare me how much anxiety social media is giving me.
And my "seen by" isn't working on ***** chat, which is giving me way more anxiety than a normal person should have.

Anybody also experience this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Social Media giving me anxiety
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 01:10:27 PM »
I've heard a lot of people have this, as do I.  We're a generation of instant answers/rewards/satisfaction.  We get frustrated when a call isn't instantly returned or an email isn't replied to.  My smart phone recently broke and its amazing how "addicted" I was to it.  When I played on my phone my mind was use to those instant satisfactions of playing a game or checking *****.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline lfiasche

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 02:02:42 PM »
Your not alone. I just recently realized how addicted I am to social media and technology. Its really unhealthy for us. One thing I did realize is that I was blowing it way out of proportion. For instance...If I did not get the answer that I expected I would automatically jump to conclusions that I had no evidence to support. " Did I say something wrong"  " Is so and so mad at me" etc etc,
Now I try to make a point to not look at it so seriously...
Bookmark and Share

Offline lindotts

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 12:35:00 AM »
I will regularly check when certain friends have been online and if its over an hour for the ones that are on a lot, I will have a mini heart attack.
I'm just so scared of bad things.

I'm also constantly scared that someone has unfriended me without my knowledge. Ugh I'm so pathetic. :/
Bookmark and Share

Offline an0nym0us

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 04:15:09 AM »
My social media anxiety is a bit different. At the urging my my younger brother I made an account on *****. About an hour later someone I recognized as having gone to the same high school as me tried to friend me. I immediately panicked and deleted the account. Evidently, I'm even less social than I had thought.

Though I do remember experiencing something more similar to what you described when I was a bit more social in middle school. I think Rob783 raises a very good point, the prevalence of smartphones and other methods of communication make us a generation of instant gratification. We have the internet at our finger tips at all times and are used to receiving an answer directly after a question is formed.

Do you think taking a short break from social media would help you? Or maybe setting a limit for the amount of time you allow yourself to spend with it a day? I know it would probably be incredibly difficult, but if it's become such a stressful presence in your life, have you perhaps reached the point where the negatives outweigh the positives?

On an unrelated note: I suddenly feel very old for not "getting" social media. I feel like an out of touch grandmother asking a child why on earth they would want to play video games when they could instead be outside catching bugs or beating each other with sticks or...whatever it is that some adults delude themselves into thinking the average child still routinely chooses over electronic entertainment.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AfternoonRose

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 10:50:58 AM »
Social media makes me very anxious as well, maybe not exactly the same way you describe it though.

On *****, I was always anxious as to how people would interpret my posts and was always worried about whether or not I was being stupid, too mean, or offensive. It went to a point where I regularly deleted my own posts a short time after posting them because I was constantly afraid to give off a bad impression. In addition to making me anxious, ***** also made me utterly depressed. I am so unsatisfied with where I am in life right now that seeing people showcase everything they have that I don't, made me miserable...

Needless to say, I have deactivated my ***** account for almost a year now. I would feel more comfortable being on social media once I am more comfortable with my own life...
Bookmark and Share