Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: ok repost--- but i NEED people who have experience with ent drs  (Read 233 times)

Offline naynaydevil2

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Ok so a month ago, it started with a sore throat for a couple days. Then the pain went to just ONE pea sized spot of my throat on the left side of my throat. That also came along with ear pain on that side. Went to two ER drs, my gp and an Ent. I had an ultrasound done on that side of my neck and my thyroid ---- normal.

the Ent felt around, checked my ears, so no infection in the throat/ear etc. He did do a scope (thru my nose and down my throat). But my concern is that I literally counted 5 seconds that the scope was in my throat and he pulled it out saying there is nothing, no mass/tumor etc. He was nice, but very rushed. He said "there is nothing in there, but yes you do have to stop smoking". That was July 3rd.

since then my ear/throat pain (no new pain, in the same spots), has gotten worse over the last couple of days. I haven't had a cigarette since yesterday morning.

I'm wondering, did the Ent miss something? Was he.not in there long enough with the scope? Is there.something hidden somewhere that he can't see and I need an MRI or something????? I'm freaking that this pain is worsening and am wondering if I should get a 2nd opinion.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• :]
    • Poke This Member
Re: ok repost--- but i NEED people who have experience with ent drs
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 12:16:10 PM »
Ok so a month ago, it started with a sore throat for a couple days. Then the pain went to just ONE pea sized spot of my throat on the left side of my throat. That also came along with ear pain on that side. Went to two ER drs, my gp and an Ent. I had an ultrasound done on that side of my neck and my thyroid ---- normal.

the Ent felt around, checked my ears, so no infection in the throat/ear etc. He did do a scope (thru my nose and down my throat). But my concern is that I literally counted 5 seconds that the scope was in my throat and he pulled it out saying there is nothing, no mass/tumor etc. He was nice, but very rushed. He said "there is nothing in there, but yes you do have to stop smoking". That was July 3rd.

since then my ear/throat pain (no new pain, in the same spots), has gotten worse over the last couple of days. I haven't had a cigarette since yesterday morning.

I'm wondering, did the Ent miss something? Was he.not in there long enough with the scope? Is there.something hidden somewhere that he can't see and I need an MRI or something????? I'm freaking that this pain is worsening and am wondering if I should get a 2nd opinion.

I saw your original post.

Your ENT knows what he's doing. They go to med school for years....

You've been to 4 docs including an ENT...you have had ultrasound and scope.

Your ENT already told you everything is fine.

You must stop questioning this. Just because it "only took 5 minutes" doesn't mean he missed anything. It means he knows what he's doing and it took him 5 minutes to see through the scope that everything is ok.

Trust him and let it go. :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 12:32:53 PM »
hey....

you didn't tell me when your plane was coming in!  I mean I'll pick you up and everything   :winking0008:

naynay-----you can certainly get a 2nd opinion.  In your state of mind, do you think that will make a difference?  I mean really make a difference?

can i play psychologist for just a minute?

you know what I think is driving this? 

I think it is that you want to quit smoking.  You know all the health risks of smoking.  You have made some attempts with to over the last few months (that I am aware of).  But, so far you haven't been successful.  It doesn't mean you won't ever be, but at this point....this is scaring you either consciously or subconsciously or both.  Now throw in the allergy and drainage and sinus crap you have with corresponding aches/pains  and your anxious mind has taken it and run for the cancer hills.  Presto this no longer allergies/sinus issues it is throat cancer due to your failed attempts of quitting. 

Okay done playing psychologist   ;D

nay---i still don't think you have throat cancer 

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »
Thanks guys-- red apples ( Not that it makes a difference of diagnoses) but it wasn't 5minutes...not even.close to 1 minute. I counted in my head and it ir was 4 maybe 5 SECONDS. that's what bothered me. And he knew my anxiety was thru the roof and that's the only reason why he did the scope to begin with. That would be my reasoning for wanting a 2nd opinion.

six...hell no! I'm not taking a plane there you'll give me as dope slap my mother already did that lol!!! Anyway, yes the smoking thing is bothering the crap out of me. Ive limited it to only smoking at home, no more butts at work (as that is where I smoke more because I get pretty much free hand breaks as long as I do my work). So that has been ok. The 2nd opinion--- which may be irrational will ease my mind. 60% says he misses something, 40% of me feels I'm ok. That's not a good enough ratio for me. I know deep down that it probably is anxiety. But the non symmetrical symptoms, then longevity of the symptoms, and the fact that its only one tiny spot in my throat is driving me nuts!
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 03:00:04 PM »
Any ent'rs have input?
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 03:14:55 PM »
Any ent'rs have input?

Nanananananay!!!!!!!!! Be it seconds or 5 minutes- trust that the DOCTOR knew what he was doing.  I don't think the time would have made a difference.
Listen to the 40% of you that feels you're ok! That's the rational side  :yes:

And you said it yourself: "I know deep down that it probably is anxiety" followed by the irrational word "BUT".

When I start thinking irrationally, I tell myself this: "BUT" is followed by BullSh*t.  :yes:

I don't think a second opinion will make a difference. I do think that once this cycle runs its course, you'll look back and say "what was I thinking?"

Get on that plane to SixPack's house.  :action-smiley-065: :spineyes: :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 03:22:18 PM »
"BUT" is followed by BullSh*t...  yes indeedy   :laugh3:

and red----nay is RIGHT I would dope slap her.   :yes:  but I would also take her out to dinner.   :P
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 06:59:14 PM »
"BUT" is followed by BullSh*t...  yes indeedy   :laugh3:

and red----nay is RIGHT I would dope slap her.   :yes:  but I would also take her out to dinner.   :P

Hey, Sixpack, mind if I join you both for dinner? We'll slap her silly and then all have a nice meal! :action-smiley-065: :party0006: :happy0158:
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 07:21:46 PM »
Aaahh now I'm getting ganged up on!!!!! Lmfao. Red-- six lives well enough close to me to wack me around. Yea, we have a love/friendship/dope slap kind of relationship  :laugh3: hahaha

ok just one more question and I PROMISE to stop.....why are these symptoms so long? If the symptoms would die down or stop my anxiety level would decrease significantly. How long would you guys go with these symptoms after the all clear from the drs?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 08:52:19 PM »
as i recall your appointment with the ent was last week.  he said your throat and nose were angry red.  and you had a lot of drainage.  You were also told your throat muscles were tight--or some muscles in the throat/neck area. 

my "professional" opinion  (professional is in quotes cuz I am not a pro, lol)------  allergies or sinus drainage can be a short affair or a long one.  I always seem to have some level of the junk in my throat--at times it can  be sore etc.  How long for it to clear up?  well I imagine if I was having a lot of stuff going on, I would be on an antihistamine (ie claritin, zyrtec) and decongestant (sudafed) exactly how the box read.  If I could take nasal sprays (ie flonase), I would be on it too.  Now since you were told muscles were tense, then I would look at that as the result of the "tension" you've built up thinking you had cancer.  Likely this is the bulk of what is causing the pain.

How long would I deal with this before going back to the doc?  Well IF I was truly keeping up with the pills AND TRULY not going to the cancer scenario (basically allowing my mind/body calm down so that those muscles could relax too),  I would give it a month.  Then I *may* go back to the original ENT and tell him I'd been doing this, that and the other thing, and things just aren't any better.  Then ask:  are there any prescription level meds that may do a better job.  I still wouldn't pull the cancer-fear card.  Why?  because fundamentally I don't think it is cancer.

yes I know this has been going on for a while, but I don't think you've been following my IF statement above----specifically the "not going to the cancer scenario".   :winking0008:

naynay----really and truly  I get problems with my right ear.  Lately it has been fine.  but I get a lot of stuffiness/plugupedness/popping etc.  I don't think I would be exaggerating if I said it  had some level of 'issues' 6 months to a year at a time.  I think I have scarred up Eustachian tube from numerous ear infections as a kid.  so I think that ear can have trouble draining.  I also think that whenI am stressed that ear bothers me more.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 10:22:25 PM »
Aaahh now I'm getting ganged up on!!!!! Lmfao. Red-- six lives well enough close to me to wack me around. Yea, we have a love/friendship/dope slap kind of relationship  :laugh3: hahaha

ok just one more question and I PROMISE to stop.....why are these symptoms so long? If the symptoms would die down or stop my anxiety level would decrease significantly. How long would you guys go with these symptoms after the all clear from the drs?

Naynay, well, I live in NY, too  :yes: Close enough to come get you!

I have severe sinus/allergy issues, with very mild asthma and eustachian tube dysfunction. (Which I never heard of until being dx'ed 2 years ago when I had a severe sinus infection)

Let me give you my latest scenario:

On May 7, I went to have sinuses/ears/throat checked. Doc said sinuses were "a little" inflamed but not bad. Ears were clear. Throat had minor irritation from Post Nasal Drip. I'd been using my Allegra, Nasacort and Astepro since March.

By May 16, I had loss of appetite and figured it was my anxiety. I forced myself to eat. I'd have a week of forcing myself and then a week where I was ok. This went on for a while but by June 17th, I decided to see the doctor because I really wanted to eat but couldn't....

He checked ears/nose/throat: turns out that now I had a full on Sinus infection with both ears infected. I had no congestion, sneezing, facial pain, or headaches. Just that I couldn't eat!

My sinuses were swollen shut. Doc put me on amoxicillin for 10 days. Within a day of taking it, appetite was back.

I waited a month. But remember, I'd been taking my allergy meds as prescribed.

Doc has since switched me to Flonase to use with my Astepro and Allegra. I'm also using my Earpopper (I got that as an RX, insurance covered it) because it helps "pop" my ears.

Recheck at the doc on July 3rd: Ears are clear/throat is better. Sinuses are 80% better. I suffer with allergies about 10 months per year, worst in Spring and then into Fall.

As for how long would I go with the all clear from my doctor? Well, I trust my doctor and I guess I should mention that I don't have HA but I do have OCD. I was annoyed that I couldn't eat and totally dumbstruck when I found out I had not only a full blown sinus infection/ear infection, but sinuses were swollen shut.

If I were you, being that you got the all clear, I would continue to take any allergy meds that you should be taking, every day. I would also try to let go and believe the doctor. And wait a month.

Of course, it's possible that you need different allergy meds.

I don't know if you have post nasal drip (PND), but if you do, that can really make the throat sore, even if you don't have a cough. But you've been scoped....

For Sixpack, do you have an Earpopper? Your doc can prescribe it. Google "the ear popper" and ask your doc to write you a script. There is a special code on the website in case your pharmacy doesn't know how to put it through. (Mine didn't, but when I gave them the code, everything worked out). The Ear Popper really is great for drainage issues.

WOW. I typed a lot. My fingers are going on a short vacation now.  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 06:54:23 AM »
redapples--- no never heard of the ear popper thing.  interesting...

and I did forget about the nasal spray thing.  I can't take the steroidal type nasal sprays anymore due to an eye condition I have the propensity for.   BUT, yeah, nasal sprays can make throats sore too.    :yes:

Bookmark and Share

Tags: