Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: new guy here  (Read 62 times)

Offline tn85

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
new guy here
« on: July 08, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
I've been lurking around on here for awhile, finally decided to join this evening. I've came to this forum more than a few times when I was having a bad day, and it always helps just reading that your not alone.

I suffer from anxiety brought on by being a cardiophobe. I started getting heart palpitations just out of the blue about 2 or 3 years ago when I was 25 or 26 (I'm 28 now). I had never had one before and it scared the holy crap out of me. I was just standing at my kitchen counter opening mail like I do every day, and bam. I felt my heart do a weird flutter/hard beat kind of thing and it came with shortness of breath. It was over before I even knew what was going on though. The whole episode only lasted a couple of seconds. It scared me so bad I had my cell phone in hand ready to call 911 cause I thought I was having a heart attack.

The funny thing is, is that I didn't even suffer from an anxiety attack on that instance. I've been lucky enough to have only suffered through two of those.  Those didnt start till last year. The first one happened while I was out of town for work last summer. It was a late night, and I was very stressed out. I was laying in bed just looking up at the ceiling, mind racing, when it hit. I thought I was having a heart attack then too. I ended up waking up a coworker/close friend, in another room and they were the ones that told me I was having an anxiety attack based on what I was telling them.

The second one occurred March of this year. I had a heart palpitation while sitting at my home office desk and it kick started something in me right off the bat. I knew what was going on this time, but it still didn't help, it was a bad one. Thats when I decided, for my own piece of mind, to go get a full workup to make sure I was healthy. I had a full blood panel done, lymph nodes checked, everything. It all came back fine. I did an ekg there at my pcp's office too. It was fine. A few weeks later, still not satisfied, I asked my doc to give me a referral to a cardiologist, which he did. I did a treadmill stress test, and of course it was fine too. He told me not to worry about the palps, that they are harmless most of the time, and there is no way to tell why I started having them all of a sudden in my mid 20's (I blame stress).

After my March anxiety attack, I asked my doc to just give me something to have around in case I feel another coming on. Pretty much just a piece of mind kind of thing. He offered to give me Xanax, but I declined that, so he wrote me a rx for atarax. I've had them since March and have not even gone through the first fill yet. I actually haven't used them for anxiety yet, I've only used them occasionally to help me sleep at night (mild insomnia). I've been anxiety attack free since that last one in March, but have come close a couple of times. How I avoided them I don't know.

I also have this bad habit of thinking every little pain/tinge/ache in my upper left chest is something heart related. I've come close to bringing on an anxiety attack that way too. I actually get mad at myself because I know its more than likely all in my head.

So that's my story. I've had all the workups, seen the cardiologist's, and everything is fine. If it wasn't for my stupid heart palp's everything would be golden. I have them pretty regularly now, but I'm trying to teach myself to ignore them, as they don't come with any kind of chest pain, just a quick bout of shortness of breath. It kills me to think that none of this started till just a couple years ago. Before that first heart palp, I didn't have a problem in the world! I lived a normal worry free life that any guy in his mid 20's should. I'd love to have that feeling again. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read my quick story and I look forward to being a part of this support community!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 162
    • Poke This Member
Re: new guy here
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 05:33:13 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline jjZauis

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: new guy here
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »
I know that feeling ALL too well.   Yesterday and today I've had this dull pain on the left side of my chest and my mind immediately jumps to that I'm having a heart attack.   It's like it consumes all my thoughts.  I hate that it can come out of nowhere like you said.  You're just doing normal every day things and then bam.  Thankfully so far I've been able to talk myself out of calling 911 or having someone bring me to the emergency room, etc.  every time it happens.   But now any little tingle, twinge, pain, etc. that happens in my chest I'm convinced something major is wrong with my heart.  Bloodworks all been fine but the last time I saw my doctor I insisted on an EKG and she said it was fine, but I don't think she was even really paying attention as she knows I have anxiety and therefore writes off anything I go to her with as anxiety.   What happened was the nurse did an EKG but two of the wires wouldn't stay on my chest so the nurse didn't think it was an accurate reading and went to check with the doctor.  The doctor came in and said it was fine but I know she was rushed and didn't think I needed the EKG in the first place so I'm considering asking for a referral to a cardiologist.  I'm still coming to terms with accepting that it's all anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: