Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Freaking out again  (Read 348 times)

Offline KellboRose

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Freaking out again
« on: July 08, 2014, 07:35:47 PM »
I just had my first panic attack in a few months. I've felt anxious a lot but I've been able to avoid being overwhelmed with it until now. I was trying to sleep and I felt a weird fluttering feeling in my heart so of course I started panicking and thinking the worst. Then my heart starts racing because I'm freaking out and that feeling increases the panic. Then I feel like my arm is going numb and I feel like I'm going to pass out and I can't breathe and everything just feels worse and worse within seconds. I kept trying to tell myself that it's just anxiety. I've felt all this before yet I still feel like it could kill me at the time. I've had anxiety for most of my life but until about a year ago I never had a panic attack to the point I felt like I was dying.  I never used to think it was physical. Now any unusual feeling freaks me out. Even the slightest thing makes me think maybe there's something physically wrong. Usually it's worse when I'm trying to sleep. Is this health anxiety? In the past I've been diagnosed with gad and social phobia but I never used to worry about my health or dying. I don't really know much about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline envirogirl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Freaking out again
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 08:23:36 PM »
I get like this sometimes.. my body feels off.. i get worried im going to get dizzy. I wish I knew what to say ... you'll be okay. Remind yourself that you are in a safe place, you are safe within yourself. Sometimes those reminders help me.
Youre not alone. *hugs!*
Bookmark and Share

Offline saffron

• Dare to be different
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 09:53:06 PM »
Your situation is actually really similar to mine. My first panic attack happened about a month and a half ago, and I've had maybe 3 or 4 since then, with most of the symptoms that you mentioned (racing heart, fear of passing out, etc.). I've had increased anxiety, and I don't really feel like myself anymore. I'm seeing a therapist, and I had a full physical and blood tests at the doctor just to make sure everything was okay. You may want to do that, just for your own peace of mind. After the first panic attack, I thought there was something wrong with my heart, but everything checked out fine, and I'm perfectly healthy.

Like you, my panic attacks seem to happen at night when I'm about to fall asleep. My anxiety is always worse at night too, because it's just so much harder to calm yourself down at 2 in the morning, you know? But there's certain things that you can tell yourself. What worked best for me at first was just repeating "I am safe, I am warm, and I have people who care". Saying things like that only worked for a little while though. The thing that actually works, even though it sounds almost crazy, is to accept the situation and just say "Whatever happens, happens," or "Whatever will be, will just be". It's like saying "Yes, I may die, or I may not. The chances of me living are much stronger than the chances of me dying, and letting this anxiety and worry control my thoughts isn't going to do me any good." You never know, different things to say will work for different people. Learning to control your breathing can be very valuable too. Eventually you'll be able to see that this is all psychological, that it's all in your head. :)

I really can't say for sure if you have health anxiety, because I'm obviously not a professional. You may develop health anxiety if you don't go to the doctor to have yourself checked out. It's like catching something early; I probably would have developed health anxiety if I hadn't had those first worries of mine about my heart addressed. I'm not you though, and health anxiety may work in a different ways.
Bookmark and Share

Offline KellboRose

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 02:12:34 AM »
Thanks guys I appreciate the comments.  I ended up waking my mum up at 3am because I was feeling really overwhelmed. She suggested just letting it happen too.  I havnt been able to do that yet. The panic attack didn't last as long as they used to last night so now that I'm not in panic mode I'm trying to be more positive about it because I know it could have been worse. The first time I had a full on panic attack was when I was trying to sleep so now that's when I feel the most anxious. Sometimes I listen to relaxation audios when I go to bed but sometimes I feel more anxious then because it seems to highlight the fact that I'm trying to relax and I feel like I can't. I do need to see a Dr about this but I'm having trouble finding one that takes anxiety seriously and doesn't make me feel like I'm exaggerating or something.  Logically I don't think there is anything seriously wrong with me physically but in the moment it feels so extreme that I keep thinking maybe I'm going to have a heart attack or a stroke or something. I'm 30 and I'm not the healthiest person but I don't really think I'm going to die from something like that now but there's always a part of me that thinks that it could happen. The anxiety about my health seemed to start about a year after my nan died. She had cancer and my mum and I took care of her at home until she died.I don't think I dealt with that very well and this could be why I worry about dying now. Thanks again for the replies.  I think I just needed to tell someone how I felt and it made me feel betterto see that some people understand how it feels
Bookmark and Share

Offline beldandy0331

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 02:27:42 AM »
hi there... you are not alone.. i got panic attacks too.. i just have it yesterday.. i am starting to accept that i have anxiety  and i am looking for ways to lessen it.

i did change my diet and start taking fish oil. i almost become a vegetarian cause i eat more fruits and veggies now. i still have attacks but I notice it was not as worse than before. i think my diet really helps me.  I am taking fish oil and vitamin B-6. my doctor recommends it for stress.

well, i am just thinking that i am very lucky to have anxiety at early age. imagine if i reach the old age (menopause age when women gets the anxiety and depression, hot flushes and etch), at least i know how to deal with my anxiety and mood swings.. God is only giving us a practice so we become a better person in the future.

Every time i have the attack, i always ask myself that why should i panic if my brain is reminding me to protect myself? i should thank my brain instead for being so protective of me. i have nothing to be afraid of...
Bookmark and Share

Offline envirogirl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 05:52:58 PM »
I'm 27 and thought I was eating alright, skipping meals isn't always a good idea. I sleep in til noon most days but I still start with breakfast. Changing my diet for a short bit of time I realized helped and taking a multivitamin too. My eating habits have changed a bit since I still don't do my own shopping and well money is getting tight so I have to eat not to healthy stuffs too.
But anyways, anytime, write it all out on how you feel when you experience the anxiety/panic and how you feel afterwards too. I find that it helps to just let it all out whether I talk to myself or I write it. Talking to yourself well that is odd haha but it helps me =)
Good luck working through this, we will be anxiety free one day =)
Bookmark and Share

Offline KellboRose

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 01:44:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I agree that your diet can have an impact on your anxiety.  When these panic attacks started I paid more attention to what I was eating and when and I think it helped. Once I started feeling better I stopped worrying about it so much.  I think I need to go back to how I was doing things before.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cowboy-Kid

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 08:16:48 PM »
You should be vigilant as soon as possible with problems like this. It's important to get off this slippery slope before the negative thinking about your health becomes ingrained into your automatic thought process.

If you can afford it, I suggest seeing psychiatrist as soon as possible.

If that isn't an option, you can always learn about panic attacks through the internet. There are several ways to help stop a panic attack, you just have to find which one works best for you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline KellboRose

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 04:38:28 AM »
I've been waiting for an appointment to see a new counselor because my last one left. I've been listening to relaxation audios and I've started writing more when I get anxious.   I was doing better before but I started feeling more anxious recently due to  a stressful situation.  I think I just lost my confidence that I can deal with it  because I had one panic attack . I know it's just anxiety but in the moment when I get really anxious instead of being logical and knowing I can deal with it I panic. As soon as I had one panic attack I felt like I was just getting worse again and I lost sight of the progress I made before.
Bookmark and Share

Offline envirogirl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 02:04:14 PM »
I know what you mean by then you have the anxiety and you can't really think straight and you are just focused on that feeling in the moment. I was at an event I put together and had one and one woman there just looked me in the eyes and said okay tell me what is going okay. Just remind yourself that you are okay and you are in a safe place with safe people and you are safe within yourself.
Its easier when you have someone to calm you rather than being alone. I like being alone though so its tough for me.
Perhaps remind those things to yourself and if you need someone to comfort you and you can't have them there all the time; ask them to record what they say to you that helps you.
just a thought..
Don't loose sight of that progress. I have days, like today I'm uber stressed out because what is going on here at home. I keep having to pinch myself and say hey knock it off you have had some good day, this will all work out somehow, someway.
Maybe write down a list of good days and those positive experiences and see how much of them outway all the bad experiences so it shows you that you truly are moving forward? And if that list is way too close in number, its okay but at least there are positive =)
Good luck with the new counselor when you get the appt. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline KellboRose

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 03:09:24 AM »
Thanks again for the advice. Yeah it's hard sometimes when you feel like you need help because your stuck in panic mode but like you I prefer to be alone. Most of my anxiety is from being around people but now I get anxious when I'm alone too.  I talk to my mum sometimes when I feel really anxious so I'm lucky I have someone I can go to if I need help but I want to be able to calm myself down.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: