Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: GAD and OCD  (Read 193 times)

Offline anxietysucks123

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
GAD and OCD
« on: July 08, 2014, 05:58:44 PM »
I've been struggling with GAD for about two months and it's been really hard for me because I have these up and down moments. One minute I'll be really happy and telling myself that I'm strong and can make it. The other minute, anxiety will hit me like a bus. I'll feel really down and I'll feel like there's no light at the end of the tunnel. Please reply, thank you.   :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline lfiasche

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: GAD and OCD
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 06:33:25 PM »
 You are not alone!! I have been going through the same thing. All you can do  be as proactive as possible. Believe  in yourself. Stay busy .
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 02:19:35 AM »
Welcome  :action-smiley-065:

I am happy that you are joining us - this site has many great resources and wonderful people to assist you in your Journey to a brighter future  :nature-smiley-016:

We all have been on this path, currently and also in the past. (like myself).

GAD and OCD along with Panic Disorder - has been my story  B-;

I look forward to hearing more about your progress, feel free to share your story - if you wish, since everyone here can relate  - including myself.

Have you seen or seeing a doctor?, on any medications?  What are some the GAD and OCD symptoms you currently struggling with?

The good news is you have a lot of wonderful people here to support you through your journey  :grinning-smiley-003:

Again, Welcome and make yourself at home  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline anxietysucks123

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 03:11:25 AM »
Never-Quiet no I haven't seen a doctor and I'm not on medications at all. And my OCD is fear of harming others. I'm afraid I'll go mad and kill loved ones and it terrifies me. I haven't told anyone about my anxiety except my best friend. I just feel like they wouldn't understand and my mom would tell me I'm fine and that would be the end of it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 12:50:16 PM »
Yup!   ::) 

I had the same thing with my OCD, it is so difficult to speak of it... because of the guilt and shame I was feeling.

In my case, it was actually preventing me from getting married  ::), and it was very difficult to tell anyone about it, which of course made it worse for me. :(

Thanks to modern research - this biological condition has been identified as  "Intrusive Thoughts" which is one of the by products of Biological Anxiety disease (we now know - chemicals in the brain get scrambled and need to re-synched so they work normally).

I had all of them - Panic Disorder, GAD, Depression, and of course OCD with "Intrusive Thoughts"  :dazed:

The good news - is that we have now have solutions in the medical arena - Medications, Therapy, and mental techniques!   :grinning-smiley-003:,

For me - I was shocked that these "Ugly Thoughts" and fears would just pop into my head, I would never in million years... do such things...

Once, I had the right doctor, and medication, and with understanding this Biological Problem, with the chemicals in my brain... ALL THOSE UGLY THOUGHTS (Intrusive Thoughts) disappeared  - like someone turned off a "Switch - in my brain"  - I WAS AMAZED  :B-;

I just couldn't believe that was possible, until I experienced it first hand !   :sprachlos020:

I want to share a book review - which I wish was published when I was going through this "NightMare"  >:(

Most importantly, the book focuses on the fact that the person is not sinful (religious obsessions) or (repugnant obsessions) for having these intrusive thoughts.

The following is a book review that I found:

By L. H. on June 3, 2007

My boyfriend was diagnosed with OCD a little less than a year ago. While I found many books on OCD, and several written for family/friends of those with OCD, these books mainly focused on "visible" obsessions and compulsions (checking, washing, cleaning, rituals, etc.), rather than intrusive and obsessive thoughts, which is what he primarily suffers from.

This book was an AMAZING find, as it focuses ONLY on obsessive thoughts, and does a fantastic job at it. While it does give an overview of what OCD is, it does so with the assumption that the person reading suspects that they might have unhealthy obsessive thoughts, and that they are not yet diagnosed with OCD.

There are entire chapters dedicated each to repugnant obsessions (themes of harm, violence, and sex) and to religious obsessions, which in other books are not explained in depth at all. The book also gives methods to overcome the obsessive thoughts which are challenging but doable, and explains why other methods of "stopping" thoughts are ineffective and actually cause OCD to persist.

Most importantly, the book focuses on the fact that the person is not sinful (religious obsessions) or [...](repugnant obsessions) for having these intrusive thoughts.

This booked helped me to understand what my boyfriend is going through a million times better than any other book on OCD he or I have read, and he agrees that the book is right on track. I would recommend this book to anyone who is, or is close to, someone who struggles with obsessive thoughts. I can't stress my satisfaction enough!

I don't, know but does that sound similar to what you might be going through right now ?

Let me know if you any questions.  :happy0151:

I hope you find this helpful  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline anxietysucks123

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 04:29:07 AM »
I'm afraid of a doctor giving me medication to take and I'll get addicted or get really bad side effects. Have you ever had any trouble with side effects?[/font]  :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 11:23:30 AM »

It took me years before I would take any medication because of unfounded fears!  :angry:

Don't let it happen to you - Remember the 3 steps "I am In Control"
=================================================
  1.  You and you alone, will decide what you will take and when - so you can take a breath... and relax  :yawn:
  2.  All modern medications are so much safer today - many people on this forum have already taken them or currently taking them.
  3.  Your doctor can start on a low dose - and when you feel comfortable - you can start taking them - or choose not to - Remember "I am in Control"  :grinning-smiley-003:

There is nothing that the doctors will give you for OCD that is Addicting - the correct word is Dependence.

As with the blood pressure medication I am currently taking, = is dependence.  It is helping me by controlling my high blood pressure, it is a medicine not a drug.  Am I dependent on it, yes - but we are also dependent on water, air and food.  This wonderful medicine is helping me live a healthier and longer live, so I can enjoy my wife, my children and grandchildren. 

My mental health is just as important as my physical health, and I am dependent on medication for my OCD - it helps correct the chemical imbalance in my brain - so I can move forward and enjoy my life without Fear, Guilt, and Shame  :grinning-smiley-003:

I personally believe that God has blessed us with marvelous medications that my parents and grandparents never had - how lucky we are to live in today's age of advanced medication that is no less than a "miracle" for those it helps! :happy0151:

Don't fear - instead learn more about it, you will find many of use have vastly improved the quality of our lives, by taking action.

We are all here to support you, when you go to your doctor..., let us know how it went..., when you get medication... tell us what medication your dr. has given you and share it with us...  Many of have already tried it, and can give you feedback from our own experiences from the wonderful people here (including myself)...and how to get started and move forward.  :yes:

I wish I had something like this forum back in 1979 available to me, in my darkest hours, when I was suffering in silence - what a wonderful tool! :yes:

Your are starting to make progress - soon I know you will overcome this  :action-smiley-065:

Your new future is waiting for you - you just need to open the door - we are all cheering for you!! :sign0060:

Bookmark and Share

Tags: