Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Xanax and pamelor  (Read 75 times)

Offline NovocaineKisses

• Trix
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Plot Twist!
    • Poke This Member
Xanax and pamelor
« on: July 07, 2014, 11:26:27 PM »
I'm starting my pamelor tonight, finally, if I have a panic attack and need to I can take a xanax even though I've taken the pamelor eight? I hate starting new meds and I especially hate combining them. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Bookmark and Share
“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline insights

• Rec's: 86
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Xanax and pamelor
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 12:51:01 AM »
I'm starting my pamelor tonight, finally, if I have a panic attack and need to I can take a xanax even though I've taken the pamelor eight?

Sure. Indeed, I think all those starting antidepressants should also be prescribed a benzodiazepine (BZD) for that very purpose because antidepressants may initially worsen anxiety.

There is no significant interactions between the two types of meds because they affect different receptor systems, however, BZDs can slightly delay neurogenesis, the process by which antidepressants are thought to produce their therapeutic effect, but it's far better, IMHO, to delay the antidepressant kick-in a bit than have people stop taking the med.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline NovocaineKisses

• Trix
    Thoughtful
  • Plot Twist!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 01:01:39 AM »
Thank you so much foe your reply. I'm honestly terrified to take my pamelor still :-\
Bookmark and Share
“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline insights

• Rec's: 86
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 02:03:38 AM »
I'm honestly terrified to take my pamelor still :-\

As a notorious pill-phobic I know this won't help, but antidepressants don't harm people, though admittedly the side-effects can sometimes suggest otherwise, however, stress/anxiety/depression have been implicated in many of the lethal diseases of humankind.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline NovocaineKisses

• Trix
    Thoughtful
  • Plot Twist!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 02:42:49 AM »
Actually that helped a lot. I've been doing better controlling it on my own with just my xanax but I don't want to remain on the xanax and become addicted, which in all honesty I probably am already, but I need an extra push. I'm amazed by what I have accomplished without it so far in the last few weeks but I am in a rut now and I need the pamelors help to keep going and getting better. I see my Dr on wed too so maybe he will have some suggestions too.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: