Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Thyroid and Anxiety?  (Read 203 times)

Offline SRD0288

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thyroid and Anxiety?
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:00:20 PM »
Any one else have both thyroid issues and anxiety?

I first found out about my thyroid problems about 1.5 years ago when I went to the ER for chest pains. After all the testing I checked out, and they gave me my blood work results without even going over them with me. A nurse came up to me in private as I was about to leave and told me to look into my thyroid. Luckily my Mom works for Hospice so she knows all the medical terms and numbers and told me my thyroid was way off. I started taking meds but then my Dr took me off of them after about 6 months because my numbers were normal. (Well duh, isn't that what medicine is supposed to do?) I've gotten about 2 or 3 blood tests since then showing my thyroid was off but none of the Dr's seemed to think it was "enough" to put me on my medication. I found a new Dr that is testing me again and I should get my results back in about a week or so. I am also getting a X-Ray of my head/sinuses because I'm having persistent headaches.
I have muscles aches, headaches, head pressure, neck pain, arm & leg aches, foggy head and so on. I also have really bad HA. Looking back I guess I've always had anxiety, but this last year has been terrible.

Any one else have the connection between the two? I'm wondering if my thyroid being left untreated is the reason my anxiety is so bad.

Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 41
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Thyroid and Anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 03:35:34 AM »
I don't, but I know a lot of people who do have both.  It's pretty common I think. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 04:59:49 AM »
I assume it's hyperthyroidism? Hyperthyroid is the one that causes/exacerbates anxiety. Your ex-doctor was silly for taking you off medications, if your thyroid levels were way off, it means your thyroid is malfunctioning. The medication doesn't cure anything... and thyroids don't just fix themselves... that's my understanding.

That's how it is for me. I've been hypothyroid for 5 years now, just recently got tested again and now I'm hyperthyroid... very strange, I've had to adjust my dose cause of it.

So to answer your question, yes, an untreated thyroid problem could be making your anxiety worse.
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline SRD0288

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 10:27:23 AM »
Thank you very much for your responses. I was Hyperthyroid but now I'm having a lot of the symptoms of Hypothyroid. My Dr even said I was on the wrong medication as well, so hopefully i'm able to get this all sorted out and fixed ASAP
Bookmark and Share

Tags: