Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: N Floweri please God help me.  (Read 352 times)

Online Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
N Floweri please God help me.
« on: July 07, 2014, 06:22:54 PM »
We are vacationing in FL right now and have been swimming in the pool. Today my 2 year old vomited twice and has a fever. I'm absolutely beside myself thinking he has N Floweri. I have sobbed and I am in the verge of going to the ER. We are in a great clean community and the pools seem well cared for and clean but I'm paralyzed with fear of this. Could this be it? There was also a little boy here sick with a stomach virus and actually went to the ER. It was just a quick virus. As of now my vacation is ruined because I'm terrified my son has this. Should be go to the ER and express my concern of n Floweri?
Bookmark and Share

Online Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
Re: N Floweri please God help me.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 06:28:32 PM »
N Fowleri
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:28:57 PM »
It's unlikely that he got it in a pool. Pools are chlorinated and cleaned. N.F is in freshwater and even then, it's rare.

He probably has a stomach virus, or maybe he ate too soon before/after going swimming.
Bookmark and Share

Online Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 06:43:39 PM »
He for sure didn't swim to soon after eating. He also vomited twice and has a temp of 100.4! I'm a nervous wreck right now because I have secretly feared this happening after reading about NF on this site along with a post on a social media site about an 8 year old who got it from a lake trip, I don't even know what to do I'm so upset. Google says it states with flu like symptoms which he has fever and vomiting. Then progress to neurological symptoms. I'm truly ill over this right now. I won't relax until he is well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 06:50:50 PM »
First, you must stop googling. Don't engage in the google.

Flu like symptoms can be caused from anything  from Lyme Disease, the common Cold, Anxiety- the list goes on.

FWIW, N.F. lives in lakes  and has been for years. But the stats on cases from over 50 years- there have been under 134 cases- in 50 years.

What would have happened had you not read about NF on that social media site? What if you'd never heard of NF? Think about it. If you'd never heard of it, you would not be reacting as you are now.

Your child will be fine. Stay away from google.... and for peace of mind, have a doctor look at your child. The fever is low grade.

Good luck to you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tunnelvisionary

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »
Flu like symptoms are very common for so many types of infections. Flu-like symptoms are the body's response to infection. So you can't tell that he has N Fowleri just from his symptoms. Of course, this will not satisfy your HA.

You need to also recognize your tendency to catastrophize. Catastrophizing is when you jump to the worst conclusion possible based off mild symptoms or signs. It is part of HA and if you indulge it, you just keep yourself within the anxiety loop.

You need to stop researching symptoms, you need to stop googling in response to anxiety, and you should probably limit the amount of health/illness things you read in general. If you spend lots of time browsing these forums, you just allow others' fears to scare you as well, if you are deeply entrenched in HA.

There is so little of a chance your son got a deadly infection from a swimming pool that I would really advise against going to the ER as it is reassurance seeking behaviors that make the HA worse and worse.

Also, very young children just get sick a lot. It's how their immune systems develop. It could just be a coincidence your son has gotten sick, and you could be attributing it to the pool. The infection could have been developing well before you got to the pool.
Bookmark and Share
Anxiety disorders in a nutshell.

Anxiety/Uncertainty ---> Checking/Reassurance/Googling behaviors ---> Brief relief but fuels obsessiveness about disease. ---> Repeat

Stop anxiety by stopping the checking/reassurance/googling! Tough at first, but stick with it.

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 06:57:26 PM »
it is a stomach virus.

don't go all catastrophic  on us :winking0008: 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline sheepsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 06:57:54 PM »
Lindsay, your son will be fine. It is probably just the flu. I have gotten it the same out of the blue.

Do. Not. Google. That is the worst thing you can do. I also suggest getting him checked out by a doctor.

Not necessarily the ER. But if they have a patient first or something of the sort around.

He will be fine. :)
Bookmark and Share

Online Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 07:09:06 PM »
Of course first symptoms of NF is fever nausea vomiting and frontal headache. He didn't act like he was in pain he was totally fine then puked on me, then about 20 mins later puked again. Fever is low but he most def is running a fever. I called my dad (he owns the condo we are at) and he said they test pool water and treat it every morning. Still not good enough for me. The fact there had only been a small handful of people effected isn't good enough. I always jump to the worst case possible outcome. I'm my mind it's the worst until probe  other wise.
I love my son and I couldn't imagine him contracting this illness. My children are my whole life and that's why I freak out when they show a scary symptom. I can't stop crying. He us sleeping and i want to wake him up to see how he is acting. Isn't it odd to contract a viral infection or stomach bug in July? Of course google says NF is most common in summer months and southern states! Absolutely terrified. I was even second guessing coming people of my fear of NF.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 07:12:55 PM »
There is absolutely nothing I can do to tell you any different. You answered your own question by stating "I always jump to the worst case possible outcome. I'm my mind it's the worst until probe other wise".

If that's the case, then take him to the ER.

And no, it is not odd to contract viral infections in warmer months.

I think your fear is NF. Period. There is nothing I can do to help. Sorry.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 07:29:47 PM »
I agree with redapples.  Lots of anxious people will site reasons why they jump to conclusions.  Lindsay all of us love our kids.  My kids are my life too.  but that isn't a reason to jump to conclusions about catastrophic diseases.  your fear is of NF.  Which has nothing to do with your child.  your child has a virus.  Let him sleep.  He will be fine in a couple of days.

and no it isn't weird to get a stomach bug in July.  when we were in fl many years ago in june of 2000, our kids came down with a stomach bug.  My, then, two yr old daughter vomited on my husband on the plane all the way home.    my 11yrold had a stomach virus last week.  a lady who works at walmart that I was chatting with last week said she had one that lasted three days.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Online Lindsay2427

Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 07:35:13 PM »
Thank you everyone. He woke on his own and I gave him Motrin and he is drinking cold fluids. I also forgot to mention my other 3 children have been swimming in the same pool along with other children in the complex. I'm praying this is a quick bug. We have until Saturday here so I'm hoping we can still enjoy our trip.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sweetblubrry

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 07:46:15 PM »
I live in Florida and I hear about these cases sometimes. I have never heard of a case coming from a pool. It is always a lake where the child submerged their head in shallow water. I do worry about this from time to time too, but no worries it does not happen in pools! I think if it were to happen the pool would be so poorly cared for you could see the dirtiness and wouldn't want your kids in the pool because it looks so gross.
Bookmark and Share
Struggled on and off since I was 13 (29 now) with health anxiety and OCD. No therapy. I accept my thoughts and deal with it as it comes.

Offline a14

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 09:11:36 PM »
Is he able to communicate enough for you to test his sense of smell? Parosmia (the sensation that everything you smell smells burnt/rotten no matter what it is) supposedly precedes even the flu-like symptoms, so he would already have that if he had contracted PAM. I went through my own PAM nightmare two years ago and testing my sense of smell every day is the thing that got me through. I'm sure he's fine--public pool instances are much rarer in an already extremely-rare disease than freshwater instances. I hope for your peace of mind.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BrookeAshley1

• Rec's: 1
    Thoughtful
  • I may not know where I'm going but I'm on my way.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 09:37:16 PM »
I can tell u that i've lived in florida since i was 4 yrs old, and have swam in pools my entire life, and have never had amoeba. My daughter is 4 and also swims all the time. It can not live in chlorine. There is simply no way he caught that. If anything its a virus thats totally unrelated. You need not worry about this at all.
Bookmark and Share
Giving up is always an option, but it is never my choice.

Tags: