Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: What works for you?  (Read 128 times)

Offline ConstantlyCory

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What works for you?
« on: July 07, 2014, 06:18:08 PM »
Hello All,

So I just posted in the Introduction section and now here I go for post number two. I've had GAD for years and it seems that symptoms have become progressively worse over the last few years. Crazy brain fog, depersonalization, inability to focus, irrational fears, lack of sleep, physical pain, extreme fatigue, you get the idea.

My question is for those of you whom suffer/suffered from the same, what works for you to alleviate these annoying ailments? How long did it take roughly? Or do you simply deal with it?

Bookmark and Share

Offline nopuedodormir

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What works for you?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 06:50:09 PM »
As of last night, the idea that my symptoms are mostly likely GAD and not some kind of heart/circulatory problem was enough to me to sleep a lot better.  One of the readings stated to write down worries and Ive started that as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ConstantlyCory

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »
nopuedodormir,

My symptoms wax and wane as well with the aide of occasional rational thought. I'm curious, however, if you've found anything that works longer than a few minutes, hours, days? How long have you been writing down your feelings?
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 12:07:45 AM »
My GAD is atypical in that I have few physical symptoms.  Maybe some shallow breathing, tight stomach on waking and such.
My notable symptoms are: a general sense of dread, a diminished sense of humor, a nervousness dealing with leisure/unstructured time, and
some social phobia.

But I've been taking klonopin for two weeks and most of those symptoms have diminished!  Have you ever taken klonopin?
I wonder if it might help for your physical symptoms too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ConstantlyCory

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 01:55:03 AM »
Hello worldbeat00,

You know I was given Lorazepam once and the feeling of not being in control, (floaty,warm,buzzing,weightlessness) put me into a massive panic attack so I've been apprehensive of medication ever since. Perhaps I need to  try again though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LO87

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 01:56:28 AM »
What worked for me was having a structure too-- I got a job and now my moderate to severe GAD is quite mild. No meds, just a course of CBT and keeping busy. To feel better it took from last December till now, so just over 6 months but I count myself very lucky in that. I think my anxiety was for a very specific reason (unemployment) and once I solved that issue I started to get better. Maybe you could also try to occupy your mind more? Are you working or are you a student?
Also I would recommend cbt--it's always worth trying before you ask for meds. It helps if you know feeling better is all down to YOU and not chemicals.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 06:03:04 AM »
For me, what worked was finding an outlet for my fear. So I started reading and watching scary works of fiction a lot. That was the ceaseless nervousness could focus on an external "threat" that I could stop at any moment. Once I started doing this, it started to work extremely quickly.

A girl heard her mom yell her name from downstairs. So she got up and started to head down. As she got to the stairs, her mom pulled her into the room and said "I heard that too."
Bookmark and Share

Offline ConstantlyCory

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 07:37:06 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions all,

I use music as a distraction! A good scary movie is always nice too!! I am an engineering student so i do stay pretty busy with that. However, it's competitive and so it adds to my stress and anxieties. Can anyone point me in the right direction for CBT? Not familiar with it...

Bookmark and Share

Tags: