Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Salmonella fears!  (Read 67 times)

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Salmonella fears!
« on: July 07, 2014, 01:47:13 PM »
I am freaking out right now because I am worried I will eventually come down with Salmonella.  Let me just start from the beginning and explain myself a little bit.

I work at a fast food restaurant, and I was asked to prep up raw chicken and put it in the fryers.  So, I placed I think 8 pieces of raw chicken in the batter, and as I was leaning over, my iPod fell out of my shirt pocket I keep it in into the batter.  I quickly took out the iPod and ran it under some water and it LOOKS clean (even though I know it isn't).  However, I put the iPod in my back pocket after than and finished with the chicken.  I washed my hands twice (the water didn't feel really hot), and used 2 moist towelettes to clean my hands off.  I want to mention that I was wearing gloves the entire time.

However, I ate some food afterward when I went on my break - a burger and french fries.  I ate the burger with the wrapping around it so my hands wouldn't come in contact with it, and I ate the fries up to where my hand came in contact with it and then threw it away.  This happened around 5:30 last night, and so far I don't feel anything.  I am just freaking out because my stomach feels a little queasy, but it's felt this way before.  I had some diarrhea this morning and felt fine after that.  (Sorry TMI).

So should I be worried about salmonella poisoning?  I'm freaking out right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lars Thorwald

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Salmonella fears!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry... chances are you don't have it and even if you do most healthy people recover without treatment.
Bookmark and Share
"Is it meningitis? Scoliosis? Lupus? Is it lupus?"  --George Costanza

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »
To be honest I just feel bad for the people who ate your iPod batter - those things get covered in grossness over the course of the day.

But no, you don't have salmonella.  I cook raw chicken - barehanded - all the time.  As long as you wash your hands, you're good.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 03:41:13 PM »
Thank you for the responses.

Still so far so good.  Oh, and I did want to say that I replaced the batter after dropping the iPod in the old batter.  I'm not only a germaphobe for myself, but others too.   :happy0151:

And how long is the incubation period for salmonella? 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: