Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Salmonella fears!  (Read 76 times)

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Salmonella fears!
« on: July 07, 2014, 01:47:13 PM »
I am freaking out right now because I am worried I will eventually come down with Salmonella.  Let me just start from the beginning and explain myself a little bit.

I work at a fast food restaurant, and I was asked to prep up raw chicken and put it in the fryers.  So, I placed I think 8 pieces of raw chicken in the batter, and as I was leaning over, my iPod fell out of my shirt pocket I keep it in into the batter.  I quickly took out the iPod and ran it under some water and it LOOKS clean (even though I know it isn't).  However, I put the iPod in my back pocket after than and finished with the chicken.  I washed my hands twice (the water didn't feel really hot), and used 2 moist towelettes to clean my hands off.  I want to mention that I was wearing gloves the entire time.

However, I ate some food afterward when I went on my break - a burger and french fries.  I ate the burger with the wrapping around it so my hands wouldn't come in contact with it, and I ate the fries up to where my hand came in contact with it and then threw it away.  This happened around 5:30 last night, and so far I don't feel anything.  I am just freaking out because my stomach feels a little queasy, but it's felt this way before.  I had some diarrhea this morning and felt fine after that.  (Sorry TMI).

So should I be worried about salmonella poisoning?  I'm freaking out right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lars Thorwald

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Salmonella fears!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
I wouldn't worry... chances are you don't have it and even if you do most healthy people recover without treatment.
Bookmark and Share
"For days after death, hair and fingernails continue to grow but phone calls taper off." --Johnny Carson

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »
To be honest I just feel bad for the people who ate your iPod batter - those things get covered in grossness over the course of the day.

But no, you don't have salmonella.  I cook raw chicken - barehanded - all the time.  As long as you wash your hands, you're good.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Caribou

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 03:41:13 PM »
Thank you for the responses.

Still so far so good.  Oh, and I did want to say that I replaced the batter after dropping the iPod in the old batter.  I'm not only a germaphobe for myself, but others too.   :happy0151:

And how long is the incubation period for salmonella? 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: