Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Help with Rabies fear?  (Read 54 times)

Offline C0nfuzzled

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Help with Rabies fear?
« on: July 06, 2014, 04:53:02 PM »
Hi everyone for the past couple of weeks ive been scared of rabies>and even further a apocalypse of rabies infested people. I asked on some other sites and i just wasnt made fun of. It comes and goes but i would really like for you guys to help me. I live in Ontario in a densely populated area away from like forests and stuff like that, in the city. So im scared if like a raccoon finds me while taking out the trash will pop out and bite me.  :( :( :( Its really scary to live life like this. It doesnt happen all the time and i read the news that my area has had like 2 rabies encounters in 80 years however im still really scared. Like every time i see a video, or hear about i think the world is gonna come to the end. Im a teenager and i dont want to see a counselor because it comes every couple of weeks and i get over it. I posted recently about brain parasites, but im still terrified because rabies can kill humans in days and i wont even know it is in my bloodstream. Please help me with some guidance over this phobia after watching movies like world war z, i heard in the movie it was about rabies so that is a exact worry about whats gonna happen please help me i would really appreciate it, My biggest fear is being bitten, not knowing it and then dying in the hospital not even knowing im dying because my brain is so messed up. Please help i beg of you
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 20
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Help with Rabies fear?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 05:38:29 PM »
Hi COnfuzzled...  My name is Chuck and I am one of the Global Moderators here on Anxiety Zone.

Regarding your issue with rabies, this is not an uncommon fear/concern on the site.  You may already know statistics, but I will share them with you just in case you don't.  The population of Canada is just over 35 million people.  In the last 12 years, only 12 people in the all of Canada, have contracted rabies.  That means that your chances of getting rabies on a yearly bases, is one in 35 million.  I would say that your odds of getting rabies are pretty close to zero at that point.  Also, in North America, most rabies cases in humans are contracted by a bat, and I am certain that you would know if a bat bit you or not.

Because of your predisposition to worry extensively over your fears/phobias, I would suggest you do your best to avoid the negative.  This includes negative websites, movies, music, etc., anything with a negative theme.  The TV news is usually 25 minutes of negative stories, followed by a few minutes of a single, positive story, that is suppose to make things better.  Sensationalize sells, unfortunately.

Will the world come to an end, COnfuzzled.  Yes, at some point.  But like rabies, the chances are in your favor that it won't occur in your lifetime.  And when it does occur, we will have no control over it.  In life, there are many things that we can't control.  Those are the things we have to learn to accept, and not worry over, as that is just a waste of time.

Good to have you here on Anxiety Zone, COnfuzzled.  The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline C0nfuzzled

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 05:56:47 PM »
when you mean the world will come to an end do u mean not in my lifetime or u dont know, thanks for the reply made me feel better 1 case a year is pretty good and i dont have alot of bats where i live (near toronto) thanks for the reply.
Bookmark and Share

Offline totallyphobic

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 07:28:59 PM »
COnfuzzled

Hi I am sorry if you were made fun of on some other sites. That doesn't happen here. Just to add to what Mobilechucko posted if you ever were bitten by a raccoon you would totally know it and could start the vaccine same with a bat you would know if you were bitten by one. As I have posted over and over here the past few days I suffered with this fear and phobia for years and you know what I feel like I have totally wasted the last 20 years of my life worrying over every little bite from a bug or possible saliva dropping. 14 years ago I was clocked by a bat while walking to my car from what the health dept and bat conservation told me when they were spraying for West Nile it must have thrown off the bats sonar. Well anyway I have lived through all that and while I will not lie and say from time to time the fear and phobia comeback a bit it has become much easier and being on this site has helped so much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline C0nfuzzled

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 09:09:33 PM »
hi do u have any advice from over coming it the fact really helped from mobilechuko.
Bookmark and Share