Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: noise overload?  (Read 161 times)

Offline Kissa

• Rec's: 1
  • I don't remember what calm and relaxed is...
    • Poke This Member
noise overload?
« on: July 06, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »
Hubby and I went out for lunch today to a sports bar. We wanted to try it and since it is Sunday Lunch, we didn't expect much of anyone being loud. Boy were we wrong! The place was less than half full. But there were a few people (5) sitting at the bar that were just over the top.

A few years ago I worked for Target. I would easily be overwhelmed by to many screaming children, to much noise in electronics dept. and just any time it got overly loud. So I quit.

I used to enjoy music in the car, not any more. I used to not mind a noisy bar/restaurant, but can't even think about that now. Its not the mass of people I'm around, I could be stuffed into a room of 1000 people and be fine as long as its not loud! I'm not sure when this exactly started but its gotten increasingly worse. I'm not even sure what to call it.  I already take meds for anxiety and depression.

Help? Anyone??
Bookmark and Share
Just because I understand an acknowledge what I am worrying about is silly, doesn't mean I'm able to stop worrying about it.
~One Breath at a Time~

Offline joe2014

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: noise overload?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 04:57:56 PM »
Is it like you have super sensative hearing? Because my anxiety does give me that sometimes.  Or is it that the noise raises your anxiety?
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kissa

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 05:22:43 PM »
 the noise raises my anxiety, doesn't really matter what the noise is. Just if its loud or to much.

I also want to add that I am so frustrated with my depression and anxiety. Some times I cry just because I'm so frustrated. The nurse practitioner that I working with my meds doesn't seem to know what to do with me. She is just doing alot of "poke and hope" type things. This is the 3rd person to try and help me with my meds. Sometimes I'm tempted just to check myself into the hospital thinking that maybe they'd get my meds straightened out for me faster!
Bookmark and Share
Just because I understand an acknowledge what I am worrying about is silly, doesn't mean I'm able to stop worrying about it.
~One Breath at a Time~

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 06:06:44 PM »
I think I know what this is, because I have it too.  Loud noises, florescent lighting, etc. gets to me.  My theory is that when a person is already anxious those extreme stimuli only adds more stimulation to their already sensitized nerves.  So, yes overload is a perfect description for it.

Take care! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaggy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 06:37:38 PM »
Yup this happens to me too. It gets worse if I sit there and give it attention. Loud places I start to panic and I don't know why
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
Hi Kissa...

I sure do agree with CarrieAnn.  When we are already in a sensationalized state, because of an anxiety disorder, it takes very little stimulation to trigger that overload.  I know that when my anxiety is at its worse, just having the telephone ring will cause me to almost jump out of my chair.  And there are times I have to wear sunglasses in some stores that have bright, florescent lighting.

While I don't have any answers for you, I can tell you that you are not alone in this.

As always, the very best to you, Kissa!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kissa

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 07:05:17 PM »
It is nice and comforting to know I'm not the only one with this issue. I wasn't sure since its not really discussed much. Guess I need to figure out how to deal with it. Hubby seems to be losing some of his hearing and has to turn up the TV. And when ever he is home, it is on.

I also never developed the talent of being able to block noise out. Guess that is probably part of the problem!

Thanks guys!
Bookmark and Share
~One Breath at a Time~

Offline agonisingsoul

• Rec's: 0
  • In the middle of the crisis
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 12:21:56 PM »
I have had something similar since the age of 21. Unfortunately, it started off one time that I took some LSD to have fun with friends. And I started complaining that sounds sounded differently, "stereophonically", and that they were very loud and "penetrated" my head for some seconds and then went away. My friends laughed at me.

Unfortunately, this stayed with me since then. There are times that the slightest noise might come inside my head, drive me crazy for a second or two and then go away. It is not a very annoying sensation anymore, I have learned to control it most of the times, but when I am tired or irritated that can become scary.

Thing is, in my case I attribute this to the use of recreational drugs.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: