Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Does not working full time makes me more anxious/unsettled?  (Read 88 times)

Offline tresflip

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
hello everyone. new to this site so please be gentle  :winking0008:

Basically I stopped working two years ago and I trained to be a photographer which I now am. So I work for myself but of course nowadays getting full time work in that profession is HARD!

I live in a foreign country and it has been 6 years. I hate where I live with my family and trying to move but the expense and because I am not working properly it is very hard to move. I cant explain how much I hate living here, it causes so much stress that panic attacks started about a year ago and I have managed to get control of them now but recently my brain just loves to think of a past bad experience or something really stupid and it takes all my soul to not think of such stupid things, it happens all the time and I dont feel like home is home. Is this because I am not working properly so i have to too much time on my hands which leads to irrational thoughts making panic worse etc etc. Do I need to be working to earn money to enjoy life and take my mind off stupid things? Sorry if that is quite long but I would love to know if anyone else has or does feel the same.

Thank you
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 20
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does not working full time makes me more anxious/unsettled?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 01:24:17 PM »
Hi Tres, and welcome to Anxiety Zone...  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Tres, I had my initial problem with panic disorder with panic attacks, some five years ago.  It became so severe that I was out of work for a number of months.  Once I started seeing a psychiatrist and therapist, I was told by both how important it was to get back to work as soon as possible.  There is no doubt that the human mind does better when it has something to focus on, and being back at work helped me tremendously.  Not only does work keep the mind occupied/distracted, but most jobs have the added plus of affording us socialization.  Being around other people takes our focus off of us, and puts it on them.

So, it might be a good idea for you to consider finding a job that both takes up your time, as well as allowing you to come into contact with people.  It sounds like your profession of being a photographer, is currently doing neither of these for you.

Again, welcome to Anxiety Zone, Tres.  The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does not working full time makes me more anxious/unsettled?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 12:21:33 AM »
Hi Tres, when I lost my job for 3 years -- I managed my time well.  Two members of my family had strokes, and I completed my first novel.

But recently when I had generalized anxiety, I found myself ok at work.  But more stressed by my leisure time because it was unstructured.
It's great you're trained to be a photographer.  Maybe it you can expand in that area somehow, your stress will decrease.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: