Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I have never read that others have this problem....  (Read 181 times)

Offline Amy_Angst

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have never read that others have this problem....
« on: July 05, 2014, 11:03:30 PM »
Since I have been so shy in writing in a forum about my anxieties, I have been doing a lot of reading just to see if I could find others with the same worries. So far I have had no luck. It would be hard to believe that I'm the only one.

The best way for me to describe my anxiety would be like this..... You know how a person with health anxiety is always worried about every little pain or twitch about their body and they think the worst.

I am like that with our house.  I notice every noise, every smell and I'm always on the lookout for any possible problems.

One example is:   The water from the kitchen faucet isn't as strong as it should be and it doesn't come out in a straight stream. My logical part of my brain tells me the aerator needs to be cleaned and or changed.  But the anxiety part is telling me there's something majorly wrong with the plumbing system.

Isn't it strange how we can think logically and illogically at the same time?

When something is bothering me I obsess over it so much until I am even sick of myself thinking about it that much.

I have many examples I could type but that one is good enough for now. At least it gives you an idea into my anxiety. 

So, do any of you have anxiety about household maintenance and real or imagined problems?

:action-smiley-065:Amy

Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: I have never read that others have this problem....
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 05:48:48 AM »
I don't have the same issues as yourself. But we used to have a member, not seen her near the site in a long time, and this was her exact problem. The very same as your home. Noises at home. Fearing a boiler may blow. Or the pipes may began to burst. She just could never sit still in her own house. Every little noise was something wrong in her house. In her mind that is. She could work a normal week. Not a bother in work at all. It was only once she got home her problems used to begin. Exact same as your own problems. Just thought I would write about her so you know at least you are not the only person with that kind of problem. She was always telling me about how much she worried about her home. About things going wrong. Fact was there was nothing wrong with her home at all. It was just her mind.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Amy_Angst

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I have never read that others have this problem....
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 02:41:37 PM »
Thank you for responding because even though you aren't having the same problem at least you are letting me know that there was another person with the same problem and for that I am very appreciative.

It doesn't help that I feel hyper sensitive.  A couple of examples are:  I was on a medication that I had to inject and I could actually smell the medicine. When I told my doctor about that she said in all her years of practicing medicine I was maybe the fifth person to say that.

I can smell the lightbulbs after they have been on a short while, while nobody else can.

Also, a few years ago when we got our new furnace, that first winter all I could smell was the glue or solvent the installers used to install the furnace and the ductwork.  That didn't bother me so much because I understood there would be an odor for that.   But the following winter I could smell heat in the hallway. I guess it congregated right there because of the small enclosure. But nobody else could smell that.  Of course I worried because I needed to make sure everything was okay. I calmed down when I smelled that same smell in a couple of stores.

Even though our kitchen cabinets are nearing 50 years old, when I open the door to the cabinet I can smell the wood at times. Again nobody else can.

I have plenty more examples but this is enough for now.

It just does my type of anxiety no good that I am super sensitive to smells and sounds. My ex used to say that I could hear a mouse pee on cotton. I think that might be a slight exaggeration though. LOL
Bookmark and Share