Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Constant worries of harming others  (Read 76 times)

Offline broken_teeth

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Constant worries of harming others
« on: July 05, 2014, 01:40:15 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm currently going through a rough patch, since Im away from my home town (in another country actually) for a longer period. Im pretty much alone here and it tends to happen to me that my thoughts go negative, I start to think all the time and carry a lot of guilt and worries. My current problem is that Im so obsessed with the fear that I will harm others, for instance Im constantly worried that I will damage through negligence (not cleaning enough etc.) the flat Im renting, because the landlords are really cool. But the biggest current worry is Im afraid I wont be able to get tattoos anymore, which I really love and are really a positive point in my life, because Im taking Zoloft and Eglonyl (sulpiride) and im not worried about me, im worried that I will harm others (the tattooer, other people), Im not sure in which way. I mean, the tattoo artist does change the needle for each customer, but Im not even sure how i could… infect? somebody with something, maybe that my medication will magically damage somebody, go from the needle onto the tattoo machine or I dont know what, its all so "what the f***". What do you think of this? Are there any methods that would help me in coping? I do regularly get therapy (even here, while away), but still…

Thanks for the help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Constant worries of harming others
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 02:26:08 PM »
Hello BT.  Welcome to Anxiety Zone...  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

BT, how much Zoloft are you currently taking?  I am glad to hear that even though you are away from home right now, you are continuing to see a therapist.  Make certain that you are 100% open and honest with your therapist, as to your current thoughts, guilt, and worries.

Remember, we are not our thoughts.  As negative as they are, as long as we don't act on them, then that is all they are, just thoughts.  Have you been taught cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)?  If not, talk to your therapist about CBT.  Part of CBT teachings is to substitute positive thoughts for negative ones.

It's good to have you as a member here on Anxiety Zone.  You will find many members that are experiencing what you are.

The very best to you, BT!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline broken_teeth

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Constant worries of harming others
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 03:57:12 PM »
Hi, thanks for the help. Im taking 50mg of Zoloft and 150mg of Sulpiride. If it gets really hard, I take a benzadiapine (Apaurin), but thats really really rare as I try to avoid them.

I am familiar with CBT, but I think both my previous and my current therapist have different approaches to therapy. To be honest, Im a bit more unconscious-dynamics inclined, I tend to think that CBT focuses too much on surface phenomena, rather than those things which are actually driving our illnesses. It was somewhat hard to open myself to the new therapist, but I guess it is slowly progressing.

Id love to hear some feedback on my anxiety, especially regarding the tattoos. I myself have to say it sounds a bit wacky when I think of how exactly I would harm the tattoo artist or other people getting tattooed by him if I am taking my medication. It is weird, but unfortunately, it is persistent. Like a broken tape thats so hard to fix.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: