Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Worried my son has rabies...  (Read 124 times)

Offline Hypowoman90

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Worried my son has rabies...
« on: July 04, 2014, 08:58:21 PM »
While in Puerto rico, my son as nipped my his grandparent's chihuahua. It left  little scratch on his hand.  The dog didn't look rabid but it is allowed roam freely... My son is showing no symptoms of rabies. This happened within the first few days we were there... So I would say around the 6th or 7th of june. Almost a month ago. My partner told me I was being ridiculous when I wanted to get a rabies shot when it happened... His whole family insisted the dog wasn't rabid. He didn't look sick or  anything. No foaming at the mouth or anything like that....

Reading that thread with the person with the tingling hand and raised bumps is what triggered this. My son has been asking me to kiss the palm of one of his hands... He can't talk so he can't tell me if it's tingling but he isn't acting like it hurts him.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried my son has rabies...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 09:09:29 PM »
Sorry for triggering your fear  :(, why can't your son talk? can he write out for you if he feels off? I think since the people in Peurto Rico said that their dog wasn't rabid that it isn't. And your son would be showing symptoms by now and in the hospital, I think that he's fine because he isn't showing any obvious symptoms.
Bookmark and Share
Hypochondria is like a shadow, always there. I used to do so much fun stuff without my anxiety and now I do so little with it :(

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 09:20:54 PM »
I'm sure your grandparents have their dog vaccinated for rabies. It's the Law in the US for pets to be vaccinated. I'm pretty sure it's that way in Puerto Rico, where I have a lot of friends, too.

If the folks in Puerto Rico said the dog doesn't have rabies, then they know he's had his vaccination and know he isn't rabid.

Listen to what Smalm said. She knows what she's talking about! :yes:

Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 09:28:55 PM »
PS!!! Just texted my friend in Puerto Rico. When he moved back there from NY, he brought his cats with him. His cats had to be up to date with rabies vaccine before being allowed in Puerto Rico. My friend said that all pets have to get vaccines that live there, so I'm sure the doggie has been vaccinated  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:31:33 PM »
The dog lived here when it was first born. I think it did have vaccinations, because it lived here in chicago and then my partners uncle flew it out to puerto rico and it's lived there since... This was years ago though.

I would like to correct you on dogs and puerto rico, though. It might be  law, but nobody listens to it. There is a huge and I mean HUGE stray dog problem in puerto rico. It's so bad you can walk down the street and have ten + dogs following you in some areas. All of the dogs are allowed to roam freely and they breed like crazy. Their offspring is then homeless and nobody gives enough crap to vaccinate or sterilize their animals.  Just google it. There are Dead/dying dogs just laying out in the street and nobody cares to even clean up the bodies. I am not over exaggerating. Do a quick google search. It is awful awful awful. That's why I was worried about rabies.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 09:35:49 PM »
I know about that situation you mentioned, it's sad.

But the dog you're referring to moved from Chicago to Puerto Rico... which means he had to be documented to go into PR (with proper proof of vaccination. ) Being the case, he must be vaccinated yearly or every 3 years (if given a 3 year vaccine). Health Departments are strict about it. I have pets and get letters when they are coming due for their rabies vaccines. My friend in PR said it's the same.

I'm sure the doggie is up to date on his vaccines.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 09:41:49 PM »
The move happened  probably around 4 years ago... I think in 2010. I can almost guarantee you they have not bothered to update the dog's vaccines.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 09:59:53 PM »
But it's the law there. Being that the dog was brought into PR, had had to be vaccinated at least 30 days prior. And now that there is a record of him, I'm sure he's up to date.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 10:38:46 PM »
They don't even have many vets there. Most people don't have the money to even see a doctor themselves.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 10:43:40 PM »
The dog was brought to puerto rico around four years ago, so I know he was vaccinated then. But don't they have to get vaccinated every year or so? Like I said,  I can almost guarantee you they dog is not up to date if this is the case. The people, including my in laws genuinely do not give a ***** about their animals and the law enforcement do not enforce laws pertaining to keeping your dog vaccinated. There are simply too many dogs to do that.  The most I've seen a dog have there is a flea collar.
Would my son be sick by now if he did have rabies?
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 10:52:01 PM »
Like I said, my friends in PR say once a dog or cat is brought in, there is a record of it. My friends in PR all get letters when their pets are due for vaccines.

If your son was infected, he would have been sick by now, yes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline FrequentlyScared

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 06:38:09 AM »
It's important to separate possibilities from probabilities. I'm slowly learning this. Is it 'possible' for a 747 to come through your window at 3:45 am? Well, yes, there is a way for that to physically happen. Is it 'probable', no.

In the middle of a rabies scare myself. Coping better this time, so yay. Anyway, a few facts I've learned:

* rabies is managed by erring far on the side of caution. Since it is untreatable once symptoms start, vaccine is often given in 1/1000000 type cases because no one wants to get sued.

* rabies shots for dogs are scheduled every 3 years, after the 'puppy' shot that's good for one year. The dog was only a year or so overdue at the worst case.

* rabies shots are effective far longer than the scheduled interval. Again, we see the abundance of caution in that recommendation. Feral cats are managed reasonably well by one or two shots in their lifetime.

* humans are only mildly susceptible to rabies. Even from a known bite, without treatment, the odds are far in your favor. We treat bites aggressively because to wait is too late.

* while the incubation time (between bite and symptoms) can be quite long (weeks to months), the "shedding" interval is very short. Dogs, cats, and ferrets only produce virus particles in their saliva a matter of days before their death. This is why those species can be observed for 10 days after a bite and are no longer routinely euthanized and tested, because if they were transmitting rabies on the day of the bite, they'll be dead or dying in half that time.

So, based on your description, your son got a tiny nip from a dog that still had significant immunity to rabies. That's possible to transmit disease, but highly improbable. Going by the book, if you'd reported it, public health would have not given vaccine, but observed the dog for 10 days. Ten days have elapsed from the bite. So, how's the dog? Is the dog happy and healthy? Then it's, and I hate this word too, impossible that he was infective back in June, and your son is fine. If the dog is dead, then please do call your doctor. Time is on your side still.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: