Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fearing the way you will die  (Read 472 times)

Offline BeeDot

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Fearing the way you will die
« on: July 04, 2014, 01:46:58 PM »
This might be a little strange....but bear with me.

I have read a couple of stories about people who had intense, unexplained phobias.  Perhaps one of the most well known ones is that of the actress Natalie Wood who had a fear of deep, dark water and who eventually drowned and died in a lake. 

I have an intense phobia of flying that came (seemingly) out of nowhere when I was about 18 or 19.  I am so afraid that I developed this fear because my soul (or whatever) knows to be afraid of it as a plane crash will be what causes my death.  I have also often been unable to see myself living to an old age and am so scared that that means I will die a young death.  I am 24 now.

This probably sounds incredibly irrational, but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this.  I love love love travelling, but if I can't get over this fear....I'll never be able to do the kind of traveling I want to do. 
Bookmark and Share
For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.  -Author Unknown

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 208
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fearing the way you will die
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 04:41:04 PM »
You do know that more people die in car crashes? The sky is a safe place on the whole. What crashes that do happen is plastered all over the news for days and this alone creates a lot of fear for some people. I have no idea if there is anywhere near you to exhibits planes? We have a place here in Ireland. For a person with a fear they can actually board a plane and have a look around it. One of those sort of places. Visiting place. Get a feel for a plane. See how big it really is. Take in everything. Try to work out the fear you have as you look around the plane. Knowing it won't be taken off the ground. First time I was ever on a plane was at such a place. May be worth checking out. See if any exist near you.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline kenzie3196

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 04:33:42 PM »
I'm scared of death period. This may not be true, but I've read that the people known sometimes as "worry-warts" are new souls on Earth and don't know what to expect. I think that it could be true. This is the list of things I am scared of, as follows:
1. Cancer
2. End of the world
3. Being murdered
4. Doctors and hospitals
5. The truth
6. Death of any kind
7. Certain colors (mainly red, orange, and yellow); I associate those colors with things that I am scared of. I'm not going to run away screaming at the sight of them, but I am superstitious about wearing them.
I think we are all fine, and whoever you worship gave you a soul that is new to this Earth; or a soul that has had very few visitations.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Miwli

• King Carebear
  • Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 05:23:53 AM »
Well, I've had some irrational fears about death before I started taking meds, but they're gone now. None of them ever happened. Besides, before my anxiety even started I had this unshakeable feeling I would die at the age of 27. I just KNEW it would happen. I'm 33 now lol. Besides, if I think about positive things I'm sure will happen, they never ever happen, so it'd be weird to think negative ones will, even though I'm still a firm believer in Murphy's Law xD.
Bookmark and Share
"As soon as you're born, you start dying, So you might as well have a good time"

Offline Zgirl

• Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 07:13:09 PM »
Once I realize half the things I feared didn't actually happen- that helps to start getting over other fears. I used to get so scared and literally freeze when driving on bridges over long stretches of water where I live, which got easier the more I did it...
Bookmark and Share

Offline creme_brulee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 02:14:07 PM »
I feel the same way! I'm terrified of flying and then I get more freaked out because I think that must mean it's intuition that I'm going to be in a plane crash or something. I know it's irrational. I try to tell myself if everyone who was afraid of flying was destined to die that way there would have to be a lot more plane crashes than there are. When I do fly I will take klonopin or have a bunch of drinks. And sit in the aisle seat- no windows for me!
Bookmark and Share

Offline letitgoin2015

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 04:45:30 PM »
I'm terrified of driving if I'm not the driver. (As if it makes a difference) and I do not fly at the moment.  I am terrified of dying every day, I am trying to get over it, but man is it hard. It's so hard to get over something that HAS to happen. I am fearful of things falling on me, car accidents, my house blowing up (I know..) everything. And this all started because I was given a clean bill of health by my doctor. Now I'm onto catastrophic thinking.

I really just hate not knowing. My odds are good, people in my family live to be fairly old but still, I hate thinking of all the people who were here yesterday and not here today who probably thought the same thing I am--"I'll live to be old!" because there is no guarantee. All the babies, all the children, all the silly mistakes that could have been avoided--and that makes me cry. Life is so fragile, and I hate it. I just wish we could all live to be in our 90-100, ailment free and happy.

I hate knowing we're all spiraling to our deaths no matter what. I don't think I'd be as afraid if I knew I wasn't going to return to what I was before I was born. I told my therapist this and she asked "Why? It wasn't bad?" and I totally get where she's coming from. But to me, I love everything so much and I want to do this life thing for another 70 years or so. I want to see all the technology that will come, all the advancements, all the medical advancements, all the fun clothes and shoes, the fashion, make-up, all the new fitness trends and food trends, new music, dancing, good movies--I love it so much. I so do not want to go back to being nothing after having all of this fun.

At least before you were born you didn't know all of the fun to be had, now I do and I don't want to just go back. And I don't want to go out painfully, or feeling like crap, and/or losing my mind (maybe I've already lost it) My biggest fear is not making it to old age and it scares me to think of that. My grandma's biggest fear was dying alone, and she died alone in a nursing home at 86. I hope my biggest fear does not come true.  :traurig001:

Bookmark and Share

Tags: