Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Really, really scared and upset...mole biopsy  (Read 428 times)

Offline ans1723

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Really, really scared and upset...mole biopsy
« on: July 03, 2014, 08:33:45 PM »
I have seen dermatologist several times in the past couple years after smartening up about sun/uv exposure. They have all looked me over and said I was fine. That didn't stop me from occasionally checking for myself, of course, and for some reason I decided to look at a mole I remember being "darker" on the back of my thigh. I glanced at it and my heart nearly sank...it was basically black! It was small (maybe why I had brushed it off before), but something was off about the color. My preferred dermatologist (the one who does my mole mapping) is out of town until next month. I know I couldn't wait that long so I visited my runner-up derm today. He took a look at it using his scope and said it does need to come out. He said it's small but looks a little "wild and crazy" under the scope. I asked him if he thought it could be something and he said it is small and thats good, but he can see where the pigment is "clustering" indicating some dysplasia. He also did a punch biopsy because it looked a little deeper under the skin. Then he added I "caught it early" and it's "nothing to lose sleep about." I can't stop thinking about and researching melanoma. I am so scared!! I am young and expecting my first baby with my husband this January. I am so scared I am going to get the worst news......I am so upset and scared right now!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rhiannon

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Really, really scared and upset...mole biopsy
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
Hey, you caught that devil of a mole. So good that you got it checked in time. I've read that moles change colours naturally as well, so if that was me I would've completely ignored it. Not sure whether it was actually a malign cell, but you got it out and all is good with you I hope. If anything, sometimes worrying can make you more susceptible to these things, so tell yourself you are healthy and strong. A strong woman who is about to have a baby. You got this!Congratulations by the way!
 Hope you feel safer about your health with time. I'll add something and I hope not to upset, but sometimes doctors benefit from taking out a mole, so they're easy to say you should take it out. I have some strange looking moles and sometimes a new one pops but the doctor says it's alright. but everyone is different, that is just my situation..
 :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 09:56:48 PM »
Even if it is melanoma - and it's probably not - catching it at this early a stage means they would simply cut the entire mole off and that would be it.  I've known a couple people who had early stage melanoma, and that was the beginning and end of it; they're fine now .
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 10:24:54 PM »
I have a friend who has had recurrent melanomas.  As long as they're caught early, there's no issue. You're considered cured after removal.

This is ONLY if you indeed have it, it could be nothing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ans1723

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 12:00:17 PM »
Thanks for the words. I am just having my moments....waiting is such torture. :( very scared
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 06:38:27 PM »
I had a small mole on my butt that I'd never seen before and my regular derm said he thought it had changed.  (I thought it might even be new) so he removed it and it was severe dysplastic nevus.  They did a 2nd surgery which was 2 inches by 2 inches and said that's the same surgery they would have done if it had been melanoma so there's no chance that one would ever cause me problems. 

If it's mild to moderate, they won't even do a 2nd surgery.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ans1723

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 08:15:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply. What scares is the color. I really appreciate the words...
Bookmark and Share

Offline jilllayy

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 07:27:26 AM »
I had a mole on my back that fit every sign of melana. the abcde rule. the dr looked at it under a scope and looked back at me with sad eyes like i already had melanoma and it wasn't good. i was what, 22 at the time. well that dr was a douche because when it was sent to biopsy it was completely normal! dont worry. i had a black mole removed off bottom of foot. normal! i have a black mole on my butt and dr doesnt even care to remove it since to odd looking ones came back normal!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ans1723

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 03:29:50 PM »
Thanks for the words... Can't wait until this waiting game is over :( praying for good news
Bookmark and Share

Offline karachondria

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Obsessed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
I'm sorry I'm commenting so late. This topic has really interested me because I've just newly developed a colourful mole on my hand. Tiny though. I'm going to get it checked out and this topic has eased my nerves knowing even if I did have melanoma I would survive easily. Thank you
Did you get your biopsy news back? Hope it was good news by the way
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 05:00:21 PM »
I know melanoma panic all too well. I am very high risk for melanoma, and my little sister has had it (luckily fiund at an early stage), and i have had numerous changing moles removed that the dermatologist had that look on his face about. In every case, my worst looking moles hVe only been dysplastic. In one of my panics, I read and read about melanoma and the chances are so slim, even when a mole is sent for biopsy. From memory, only 1 out of every 33 suspicious and high risk looking moles will come back cancerous. I know it's impossible not to worry so I won't even suggest that, but the statistics are on your side!!!! I hope you come back to share your good news soon!!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: