Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Help me. I am new here and this is my first post / I need info!  (Read 71 times)

Offline james12

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I am new to this site and I'm hoping that I can find some useful advice and/or reassurance. Like many people posting on here, I have cardiophobia. I am terrified of having a heart attack or going into cardiac arrest. I also made the mistake of googling symptoms and it only made matters worse. I had an EKG some time ago and it was negative. Here are the questions that I have:

1. What is the likelihood of someone in their 20s or early 30s having a heart attack (I know it's rare, but still) and how could this even happen?!? I feel like we haven't been alive long enough for our hearts to be damaged. Is it congenital or genetic?????

2. Is it possible to have a heart attack from being stressed. I've found multiple things that have given me conflicting info regarding this.

3. If I had heart issues, that could potentially result in a heart attack, would I still be able to be extremely active (I know there's the rare story about athletes dying, but that's based on genetics or abnormalities, neither of which I have)?

Please try to provide me with as much information as you can :)
(I think reading about other people's heart fears made mine worse).
Bookmark and Share

Offline james12

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Help me. I am new here and this is my first post / I need info!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 06:29:13 PM »
I feel hopeless /:
Bookmark and Share

Online cameronj

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 06:58:03 PM »
Hi, I have been going through similar fears myself. I spoke with a cardiologist (MIT for undergrad and Harvard Mass General for Med school) and this was his response to me, "the chance of a 21 year old having a heart attack that is not congenital or from heart disease is super super super super super rare, less than 1 in 100 million." Please do not fixate on the .02% chance or whatever it is of you having a heart attack. I made that mistake and am dealing with the repercussions of it. 

If your EKG was negative, then you most certainly do not have any congenital issues and I sincerely doubt that you have heart disease since this would've probably shown up in your blood work (assuming that you have had it done).

Hopefully other people will respond to your post to provide you with additional reassurance since it sounds like that's all you need.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 09:37:04 PM »
I'm sorry you feel hopeless and have to go through this.  The odds of your having a heart attack are practically nonexistent.  You might feel better if you find a therapist to talk to about your fears - they'd be able to help you figure out ways to conquer them.
Bookmark and Share

Online redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 09:46:56 PM »
I am new to this site and I'm hoping that I can find some useful advice and/or reassurance. Like many people posting on here, I have cardiophobia. I am terrified of having a heart attack or going into cardiac arrest. I also made the mistake of googling symptoms and it only made matters worse. I had an EKG some time ago and it was negative. Here are the questions that I have:

1. What is the likelihood of someone in their 20s or early 30s having a heart attack (I know it's rare, but still) and how could this even happen?!? I feel like we haven't been alive long enough for our hearts to be damaged. Is it congenital or genetic?????

2. Is it possible to have a heart attack from being stressed. I've found multiple things that have given me conflicting info regarding this.

3. If I had heart issues, that could potentially result in a heart attack, would I still be able to be extremely active (I know there's the rare story about athletes dying, but that's based on genetics or abnormalities, neither of which I have)?

Please try to provide me with as much information as you can :)
(I think reading about other people's heart fears made mine worse).

Sorry you're going through a rough time.

Unfortunately, all the reassurance from everyone will only temporarily help you....you'll feel ok for a while and go back to the irrational thinking.

I would suggest a therapist, and maybe some meds. Sounds like you have HA. (Health Anxiety).

And of course, Welcome to AnxietyZone! :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share

Tags: