Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: small firm painful bump in right breast near areola  (Read 596 times)

Offline sheepsy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
small firm painful bump in right breast near areola
« on: July 03, 2014, 04:54:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

So here's the story,

About 2 and a half weeks ago my right nipple started feeling really sensitive and sore, this then turned into pain to the right of my nipple, and when I felt around the area I felt this small firm bump inside at the edge of my areola that hurt even more when I touched it. I also started feeling soreness at the tops of my breasts near the underarm area.

I went to the doctor, both primary and an OBGYN doctor (not my usual doctor OBGYN). My primary doctor ordered an ultrasound and the ultrasound was clear. OBGYN gave me a diuretic to take because he thought it was extra fluid in my breast causing the pain. He also told me that this kind of pain happens during ovulation. Well the diuretic gave me so many side effects that I stopped taking it after one pill. But the painful bump and soreness subsided eventually as I got closer to my period.

Come last Saturday, the second day of my period, the painful bump came back and so did the soreness. It hasn't subsided yet and my period ended on Tuesday.

I went to my regular OBGYN doctor for my wellness exam today and told her whats been going on. She did the breast exam and felt around it and she was like "oh it could be a cyst" but she wasn't helpful at all and didn't explain anything as to what caused it.

I'm just really upset with her because she wasn't helpful at all and didn't explain anything to me even though I was clearly upset when talking to her. She also said "it's normal to have lumps and bumps in your breast that aren't cancerous, especially since it's painful." Yes I understand, but you didn't even explain to me what it actually is.

She told me to go to this surgeon's office so they can check it out.

I know I'm young, I'm only 22 and there's no history of breast cancer in my family, I'm just so scared because I don't know what this stupid thing is and it hurts so much. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: small firm painful bump in right breast near areola
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 05:09:18 PM »
Well the good news is that you already had the ultrasound and so you can completely rule out breast cancer.

This sounds like classic fibrocystic breast disease (not really a disease, as over half of all women have this) where throughout your cycle, your breast has lumpy fluid filled cysts and then they go down throughout your cycle as well. Nothing to worry about. Please don't worry about cancer, you've had the most detailed breast scan (ultrasound) and they didn't find anything of concern.

I'm waiting to have a breast ultrasound next Wednesday after I noticed some nipple discharge. So I'm on the edge of my seat, but you really don't need to be. This is either a simple fluid filled cyst that every woman gets from time to time, or if it's warm and painful, it could be mastitis (completely treatable) or a blocked/infected milk duct. I highly doubt it's either of those as you've already been examined by your physician.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sheepsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 05:27:58 PM »
If it was a cyst wouldn't it go away by now since my cycle is over? Or do I have to wait for it to go down?

It's not really warm, it's just painful. :(

I made an appointment with my regular doctor so he can check it out again...he's been a lot more helpful with all the symptoms I've been having the past few weeks.

I'm trying not to get upset but it's so hard. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 05:45:36 PM »
A cyst doesn't necessarily go down after you start your period. It may shrink, but could still be there. Fibrocystic breast cysts can be very painful at times - especially while on your period. I really think you can stop worrying about this since you've had your ultrasound. An ultrasound is even more detailed then a mammogram.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sheepsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:06:13 PM »
Alright. Thank you bpadilla for your assurance. It really helps. Someone else told me they also went through the same thing and that the cyst went down a few days after her period. So I guess I will just have to wait.

I'm still going to keep my appointment with my regular doctor, but I will also make an appointment with the surgeon's office if it doesn't stop hurting by Monday.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sheepsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 06:36:01 PM »
Do you think that the diuretic actually did drain the extra fluid which is why it stopped hurting, but then it came back again when I started my cycle?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sheepsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 07:33:58 PM »
But then if it was a cyst it would of showed up on the ultrasound.
Bah.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 10:32:33 PM »
Sure the dirietic could've made it shrink. Have you ever thought that it might be closer to the skin? Such as a skin issue rather than a breast issue? ESPECIALLY since it wasn't on the ultrasound? You may have a pimple? Small access? I think it's great that you're keeping the appointment with the surgeon, but please don't stress over it until the appointment. It's virtually impossible at this point for it to be breast cancer because your ultrasound was clear. By the way, just curious - how old are you? Have you had children? Have you nursed before? I'm a doula so in also thinking along those lines.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sheepsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 11:03:29 PM »
Sure the dirietic could've made it shrink. Have you ever thought that it might be closer to the skin? Such as a skin issue rather than a breast issue? ESPECIALLY since it wasn't on the ultrasound? You may have a pimple? Small access? I think it's great that you're keeping the appointment with the surgeon, but please don't stress over it until the appointment. It's virtually impossible at this point for it to be breast cancer because your ultrasound was clear. By the way, just curious - how old are you? Have you had children? Have you nursed before? I'm a doula so in also thinking along those lines.

Hmm, maybe? When I'm upright the bump is at the bottom right corner of my areola, but when I'm lying down it's on the side of the areola. I don't think it's a skin issue since I don't feel the bump unless I press into the tissue.

I'm only 22. I don't have any children and haven't nursed at all before.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 11:14:27 PM »
A cyst is definitely sore.  I have had that before and had it checked out.  The more the dr played with it, the more sore it became.  It did go away after my cycle.  I did not have tests done on it.  It is true that lumpy tissue is normal.  And I do believe drs know what they are feeling when they feel it.  And the more you play with it, the more sore it will be and it will linger.  My dr suggested I cut as far back on the caffeine intake as I could.  I did, but the next month the soreness and cyst returned.  My ob said then, if you I liked the caffeine, may as well keep drinking it - it doesn't seem to be affecting the cyst.  The one thing I did do that helped with the cyst and soreness is drinking nettles tea (I brew it for 6-8 hrs and drink it) and if I do it every other day, I notice a major decrease in the soreness (it is safe to google that tea- it is good stuff).  It has been the biggest thing that has helped me with these issues.  I hope you feel better soon!
Bookmark and Share
Our thoughts dictate our emotions .... in other words, how you think is what you will feel.

Offline sheepsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 11:22:08 PM »
Thank you kcg, I will check out nettles tea then. I don't drink too much caffeine, but my family does drink tea in the evening before dinner, but I don't think it really made my symptoms worse. Mostly the pressing on the bump/cyst/thing made it hurt more today, and since my OB was pressing on it, and I kept pressing on it earlier today.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 11:53:27 PM »
Also the next time you see the surgeon/doctor, ask them about evening primrose oil. You can get it in capsule form over the counter at any Walmart/pharmacy and that's been known to help breast issues TREMENDOUSLY!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sheepsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 08:49:58 AM »
Guys, I'm really scared. I woke up and I have this faint line on my left breast near the sternum. And when I lift my arm it looks slightly indented. :( :( :(.

The line is actually a long V.

What is going on with my body. T_T
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 09:02:27 AM »
Could it be a vein?
Bookmark and Share

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 09:03:02 AM »
Could be the way you slept .... Marks from you clothes or bed sheets.  plus when you are anxious you are gypersensitive to everything.  Stop playing with it.  Let it heal.  I have also heard that anxiety itself can indirectly increase lumpiness (meaning - the anxiety makes you retain water more, etc) and the worst times of lumpiness for me did correspond with anxiety.  It has been checked multiple times.  Focus on getting your body physically better.
Bookmark and Share
Our thoughts dictate our emotions .... in other words, how you think is what you will feel.

Tags: