Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of sudden cardiac arrest suddenly popped up  (Read 195 times)

Offline Expertgamer

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of sudden cardiac arrest suddenly popped up
« on: July 02, 2014, 05:47:50 PM »
So for the last few days my fear for sudden cardiac arrest suddenly popped up... Have been dealing with a fuzzy feeling my chest area ever since. The timing was not so bad since I had to see my doctor yesterday for something else, so I discussed it with him. He did a small checkup (BP at 125/80, lungs working fine, no heart murmur, the slight pain between my shoulders wasn't anything serious). Never had an EKG done but I suppose if my doc was concerned with my symptoms he would have referred me to get one anyway.

I left the doc with a good, relieved feeling but I still can't shake the feeling I will drop dead at any time. My doc reassured me he just didn't saw it happen. I also discussed this with my psychologist today and she explained that I feel these things because I focus on them.

I know that getting going to cardiac arrest at my age (23) is almost unheard of in perfectly healthy people. And I know that going into sudden cardiac arrest in general is a rare occurrence. But I keep feeling strange things in my chest area.. It freaks me out. I try not to dwell upon it, think about what my doc said and I seek a lot of distraction. That works for a while but it keeps creeping back up on me.

Has anyone expierenced this too and can they provide some tips perhaps? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline MLB2805

• Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of sudden cardiac arrest suddenly popped up
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:40:55 PM »
I fear this too!following for tips!
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline HNDFL

• Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Never Give Up Never Back Down
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 10:59:17 AM »
Hello expert

I have also experienced my share of fear of some sort of cardiac event. Luckily I have pushed past it! Here is the catch I'm only 16, so it is even more unheard of. I went through a series of doubt after I had an EKG, electrocardiogram, and blood tests. I seriously thought they had missed something. Then one day I said I'm done with this fear and looked at the facts. NOTHING abnormal showed up on any test! I'm only 16 so the likelihood of it happening is very very slim.

Tips that I have for you

1. DO NOT GOOGLE ANYTHING MEDICAL- as most people would tell you, this WILL just make any anxiety you have worse!

2. TRUST YOUR DOCTOR- if they don't see any reason for you to worry about something, then don't worry. My mom told me this "Worry is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but it gets you nowhere!"

3. FIND DISTRACTIONS- If you are anything like me, when you are bored your anxiety strikes. So I have learned to find distractions. I will play Xbox, read, go exercise, etc. What I am telling you is to find SOMETHING to do. If it is the last thing you want to do, but your other choice is to be bored, DO IT. Boredom and anxiety DO NOT MIX

MSG me if you have any questions!!

HNDFL

Bookmark and Share
"An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up"-Proverbs 12:25

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."-John 14:27

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 02:01:17 PM »
Yeh I can totally relate!

I work as a cardiology secretary so you can imagine what that does to someone with health anxiety!!

I have chest pain, palps, tingling arms, numbness etc etc. I had an ECG which was normal, a 24 hour ECG showed my palps which were normal and benign apparently and an echo (which they first said didn't look right which terrified me) it said something like 'query regional wall motion abnormality' which was pretty scary! This was then shown to another cardiologist (as it was a nurse who initially reported on it) and he said it's fine and nothing wrong, they miss read it. You can imagine that really scared me and I now think what if he was wrong?!.. however, I need to start believing in what people say and understand that hopefully if he was concerned he wouldn't have just dismissed it all so easily as it's not worth his job if I have got something wrong with me!

Working in a hospital doesn't always do you any favours as I can look up my own results and see things i'd rather not see!

Anyway sorry for babbling... but to the point again; when I saw a GP in the beginning he said 'Do your family suffer from heart disease' to which I said no and he said that's the most important question. If your GP was worried, they'd look into it in more detail. You're fixating on your chest just like I am right now, crazy what the brain can do!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: