Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Help! Have been managing this really well until today  (Read 106 times)

Offline PinsNneedles

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Help! Have been managing this really well until today
« on: July 02, 2014, 08:26:29 AM »
Hi all, good news is that I have been managing my health anxiety really well of late thanks to some basic distraction tactics and CBT skills. Unfortunately I am feeling myself spiraling back into the trough of despair today after a visit to the toilet.

Found some red blood on the tissue paper which freaked me a little bit but then looked in the bowl and it was bright pink! Only had this before when I have been able to blame it on beetroot but this time due to a diet I am on I know fine well I haven't been near beetrooot.

I am now focusing on cancer and feel out of control. Is there any advice, comfort you lot can offer or is it a case of visiting the doctor to be told it's nothing and unless I want cameras pushed inside me then stop worrying.  arrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhh
Bookmark and Share

Offline richdelb

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Help! Have been managing this really well until today
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 09:25:36 AM »
Bright red blood on toilet tissue, and the 'pink' you describe in the toilet are common signs of hemorrhoids or an anal fissure.  I get this from time to time, especially if I don't eat well and get constipated.

I did run to the doctor when it first happened in a total "colon cancer" crisis.  I was younger than his "normal" recommended age for a colonoscopy by a few years, but he ordered one anyway. (he said it would be a good "baseline" for the future) I was totally clear, not even a polyp.  They did find moderate internal hemorrhoids which didn't need treatment at the time.  The test itself wasn't bad. (the prep sucked for me the night before, and my anxiety over the whole thing was tremendous)

I occasionally notice a little blood particularly if I strain too much.  Also, don't sit on your phone playing Fruit Ninja (or whatever your favorite game is)  The extra time you sit will strain your anal muscles and make hemorrhoids worse.
Bookmark and Share

Online doug65

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 10:09:44 AM »
Keep in mind, treating HA is similar to treating other medical ailments.  It takes time.  One doesn't heal a broken arm overnight, same with HA.  Look at it as a setback and continue to move forward.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline PinsNneedles

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 10:51:57 AM »
thanks both, not sure whether to run to the docs to be on the safe side or not, hmmmmm will ponder that one a while. Just had another BM and only blood on tissue not bowl.

How on earth do you know about fruit ninja? Are you stalking me :-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline richdelb

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 12:52:59 PM »
How on earth do you know about fruit ninja? Are you stalking me :-)

Ok, that was FUNNY.  I'd keep an eye on it for a few days, and try not to worry. (easier said than done, i KNOW) Blood in the stool is not "normal" but it's also not usually a sign of anything major.  See what happens over a few more days, and if you continue to see it, go to the Dr. and get checked up.  Sometimes they can diagnose hemorrhoids in the office and nothing further is needed other than some lifestyle changes.  (mostly eating habits and making sure you are getting enough water each day)
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 7
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 01:13:58 PM »
Hi all, good news is that I have been managing my health anxiety really well of late thanks to some basic distraction tactics and CBT skills. Unfortunately I am feeling myself spiraling back into the trough of despair today after a visit to the toilet.

Found some red blood on the tissue paper which freaked me a little bit but then looked in the bowl and it was bright pink! Only had this before when I have been able to blame it on beetroot but this time due to a diet I am on I know fine well I haven't been near beetrooot.

I am now focusing on cancer and feel out of control. Is there any advice, comfort you lot can offer or is it a case of visiting the doctor to be told it's nothing and unless I want cameras pushed inside me then stop worrying.  arrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhh

First, do not worry!

It could definitely be diet related or hemmies...or you might have strained when "going" without knowing.

For the record- I have shat yellow, green and....PINK! (not all at once, that would be a rainbow! :action-smiley-065: )

I'm talking the entire BM was a bright PINK!  I don't have HA so I didn't worry about it but I was curious- when it happened the second time.

Turns out my affinity to Watermelon Sherbet was the culprit.

:action-smiley-065:

It doesn't always happen...but if I eat too much Watermelon Sherbet things are going to be Pink.

Now, you've been doing good up until this toilet treasure was found..... Look at it as a treasure...of sorts...for you to move past the fear/anxiety - and practice what you've been doing all along!

Fruit Ninja? No idea but sure sounds funny  :laugh3:

Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 08:27:27 PM »
I've had so much blood from an anal fissure that the entire toilet bowl was dark red.  Looked like the heaviest period day I'd ever had in my life - it was a little terrifying!  A small amount of blood can really look like a lot.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PinsNneedles

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 01:05:40 PM »
Thanks all. Was managing it ok, calmed down since the post and then about 3 hours ago I had another episode and the bowl was bright red again. Just gone again, probably through nerves being shredded, and it's normal, well as normal as it can be under the circumstances. It's like the blood isn't in the stool but just comes with it.

Panic mode setting in now, just cancelled work meeting in London for a docs appointment.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: blood in bowl