Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Seeking Lexapro Users.....  (Read 128 times)

Offline Brittney.kerby0510

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Seeking Lexapro Users.....
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:11:11 PM »
Ive always thought I just suffered a SEVERE case of anxiety..... Just recently I was diagnosed with OCD. I thought OCD was the washing of the hands over and over or checking the locks repeatedly.... I had NO IDEA of all of the symptoms caused from OCD!!!! Needless to say, my OCD is BAD and the anxiety and panic attacks just play a role with it.... Any who, I realize everyone reacts differently to meds, everyone has different doses, etc..... I don't take meds.... not even Tylenol hardly because of my fears. my pdoc just prescribed me Lexapro 2.5ml liquid. What meds do you all use for OCD? has anyone ever used liquid form? I know im on a low dose, but the reason for that is to just get me used to taking a med. is anyone else too scared to try a med even if they know it will better them?
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 7
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
Re: Seeking Lexapro Users.....
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:22:05 PM »
Welcome!

OCD is an anxiety disorder :action-smiley-065: Some people check things, some wash their hands, some think about things over and over, the list goes on.

I have OCD and GAD, and am getting over Agoraphobia.

Yes, that is a nice, safe, low starting dose....your doc is good to start you off at a smaller dose, so that your body will adjust slowly and you won't feel side effects. As you increase, it will feel the same...but as you get to the clinical dose needed, you will begin to feel better.

I've taken Liquid Prozac in the past - the first time I was on it.

I'm on Prozac 20 mgs to treat OCD/GAD/Agora. I also take 2mgs Lorazepam at night.

My OCD is not the hand washing kind...it's the kind that used to make me unplug every appliance/light before leaving the house, check the stove a gazillion times before leaving the house, checking locks/windows at night.

Now, I check the stove ONCE before I leave the house. I check the doors at night once before bed. For me, that's pretty normal and less time consuming.

What kind of OCD do you have? :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 08:46:28 PM »
Thanks for replying! I have frequent panic attacks. If I leave my drink in a room and walk away from it then come back, I have to dump it out because Im afraid someone has done something to it. Any ache or pain I get, I think its killing me. I always think my time is near... Intrusive thoughts seems like the only symptom I have :/ Im really hoping I can "man" up and finally take my med. Ive always had bad symptoms from meds so ill stop taking them after the first dose. Hopefully with this low dose, I can start and just chill!! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 7
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 12:21:38 AM »
You're welcome :action-smiley-065:

Lexapro at the low dose you're starting is going to be fine. You'll see. Those intrusive thoughts are going to melt away once you are up to your clinical dose. Some people do fine on just 5-10 mgs of Lexapro, too.

Stay positive and look forward to how you'll be able to "chill" ...it's really a great feeling! :spineyes: I'm chillin' right now!
Bookmark and Share

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 12:30:37 PM »
Hi Brittney,  :action-smiley-065:

I love RedApples recommendation - and totally agree. :yes:

After the long journey of getting my "Panic Disorder", "GAD" and "Social phobias under control"  - I got hit with this "OCD Nightmare"    - How lucky can one get!  :dazed:

My OCD consisted of 3 major themes:

1)  Intrusive Thoughts - That really unsettled me, where are they coming from - I was feeling a lot guilt of how these ugly thoughts would come from my own head ???

2) Checking and Rechecking - Everything - I would check the headlights on my car - did I leave them on - after checking them 5 times already, did I leave the stove on at home, on...and on.... - At that time I was working as tire installer at Sears, do you know how many times I had to recheck that new tires I installed on the car - were tightly on???  :spineyes:  - I almost lost my job - It took me forever - I ended up checking every tire four or more times - I had visions of the car's tires coming loose on the freeway - killing people  B-;- because I feared that the tire bolts weren't tight enough - or that I forgot to tighten them!!    :angel-smiley-006: :spineyes:

3)  Fear of Losing Ideas and Important thoughts - My kids were about 10,11 years old, I would be at amusement park with my trusty notepad in my pocket, every time a thought or an Idea came to me, I would take the notebook out immediately and write it down, I was extremely fearful that I would lose that Idea - so I had to "Capture It" on paper.  Instead of enjoying the day with my kids,  :(  I was at a bench writing every 10 minutes into my notebook.  My wife brought it to my attention - "What's the matter with you? - We are here to enough time with kids!"  B-; - That made me realize - I had a problem  :spineyes:

I went to my Psychiatrist to explain these problems – the most serious one for me was INTRUSIVE THOUGHTS –the other ones I could manage them with some mental strategies.

At this time, I was currently on Prozac and taking a small dose of a benzodiazepine (Klonopin)  - My Dr. explained that we could start to increase the dosage of my Prozac from the standard 20 mg to a higher dose that might help eliminate or lessen the OCD....

Wow!! - After a couple of weeks - of increased dose on Prozac - All three of main OCD - "Disappeared - Literally - just vanished... Like someone turned off a "Switch in my brain" - That I was delighted is and understatement - every area of my life was vastly improved.

I have used Lexapro before, with good results, but for me - and everyone is different - it helped but was not nearly as effective as Prozac.  With that said, there are many successful cases of OCD relief from Lexapro and I am confident that it will help most OCD sufferers.

Just nice to know, that if Lexapro does not work or with time (in my case - after about a year and half) stops working - we are so fortunate to have other great medications your doctor can recommend  :yes:

Here is a technical note regarding OCD medication that may help:
Since the 1970s, it has been known that drugs that affect a specific brain chemical -- serotonin -- are particularly helpful in OCD. These include a particular tricyclic antidepressant called clomipramine (Anafranil) and also the class of antidepressant drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, or SSRIs. SSRIs approved by the FDA for treatment of OCD include Prozac, Zoloft, Luvox, and Paxil. Other SSRIs may also be used.

In either case, you are on a great path to recovery and improvement already!  Keep up the good work!   :grinning-smiley-003:

Side note:

My 2 cents here  :twocents:

1)  Might considering speaking with your dr. about getting a prescription of a small dosage of a benzodiazepine in case you need it, -if you feel comfortable about it, since Anxiety and OCD are related, there were days I would use it - if had really severe anxiety.  If you don't need it, - even better  :yes:  But, I always want to have a backup plan, that will help me stay on my Lexapro (or any other AD med) for the 4-8 weeks to start kicking in...

2) Another resource for help on OCD "Intrusive Thoughts:  I just spoke to friend in the medical field - who recommended a book to her friends that were having this OCD "Intrusive Thoughts" = which are very insidious to your self-esteem and mental health because of the "Guilt and Shame" they bring  :sick0002:

There are very few books, that I know of that deal specifically with OCD "Intrusive Thoughts" - but here it is:

Overcoming Obsessive Thoughts: How to Gain Control of Your OCD-David A. Clark , Christine Purdon

I haven't read the book personally, since I no longer have this OCD problem (thanks to Prozac), but it has received some high reviews:

The review points out a very important fact:  Most importantly, the book focuses on the fact that the person is not sinful (religious obsessions) or (repugnant obsessions) for having these intrusive thoughts.

The following is a book review that I found:

By L. H. on June 3, 2007

My boyfriend was diagnosed with OCD a little less than a year ago. While I found many books on OCD, and several written for family/friends of those with OCD, these books mainly focused on "visible" obsessions and compulsions (checking, washing, cleaning, rituals, etc.), rather than intrusive and obsessive thoughts, which is what he primarily suffers from.

This book was an AMAZING find, as it focuses ONLY on obsessive thoughts, and does a fantastic job at it. While it does give an overview of what OCD is, it does so with the assumption that the person reading suspects that they might have unhealthy obsessive thoughts, and that they are not yet diagnosed with OCD.

There are entire chapters dedicated each to repugnant obsessions (themes of harm, violence, and sex) and to religious obsessions, which in other books are not explained in depth at all. The book also gives methods to overcome the obsessive thoughts which are challenging but doable, and explains why other methods of "stopping" thoughts are ineffective and actually cause OCD to persist.

Most importantly, the book focuses on the fact that the person is not sinful (religious obsessions) or [...](repugnant obsessions) for having these intrusive thoughts.

This booked helped me to understand what my boyfriend is going through a million times better than any other book on OCD he or I have read, and he agrees that the book is right on track. I would recommend this book to anyone who is, or is close to, someone who struggles with obsessive thoughts. I can't stress my satisfaction enough!

Hope this helps ...

Kind of long, but just wanted to share  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 07:53:52 PM »
Thank you very much for that! Very informative! My psychiatrist actually prescribed me xanax to take prior to starting the lexapro just to settle me down about taking it.. Lo an behold.... I haven't taken it yet lol nor have I started the lexapro yet. I'm not sure what I'm waiting for, I know that I'm scared of side effects... I will definitely check out that book though. I have always read anxiety/panic attack related books. Maybe this one will strike something better :) I'm glad you are feeling much better! Hopefully I will soon!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: