Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Has anyone taken Fluoxetine for PD/Agora?  (Read 249 times)

Offline jjZauis

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Has anyone taken Fluoxetine for PD/Agora?
« on: July 01, 2014, 04:28:22 PM »
I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with being prescribed Fluoxetine for PD/Agora.   My doctor prescribed me 10mg of it for two weeks and then 20mg for the past two weeks.  I think eventually he'd like to get me up to 40mg.    The strain/twinges of pain/tightness I had been feeling in the left side of my chest that for weeks I had been convinced was the start of a heart attack has thankfully gone away.   Now I'm just having this dizzy light headed kind of fog and total tiredness no matter how much sleep I get.  Yesterday I was so out of it and lethargic I needed to leave work early.   The other part, is that for the past week I have had such abdominal pain on and off.  I can't remember ever having pain like this that lasted over 48 hours with that being my only symptom.  It's not nearly as bad, but reminiscent of the pain I felt before I had my appendix out.  I tried googling it even though that only ever seems to make my anxiety much worse and some had abdominal pain as a side effect for Fluoxetine (prozac) and others didn't.   I'm just curious if anyone else on here who's been prescribed it for this has had these side effects when they first went on it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has anyone taken Fluoxetine for PD/Agora?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 04:54:50 PM »
I'm on Prozac (and Lorazepam) for GAD/Agora.

Good that he started you at 10mg for first 2 weeks, then up to 20mgs. (I'm on 20mgs, works great for my GAD, Agora and OCD).

I've had the lethargy, fog head  and abdominal pain with the occasional loose...poop. Also had a less than stellar appetite...

Doc gave me a B12 shot and told me to get a good multi B vitamin (I use EZ Melts-Energy Memory Mood Enhancer).

Within a short time, (2 weeks, maybe 3) all side effects disappeared. :yes: Energy is back, feel good, getting out, doing things.

I also use Lorazepam for sleep (2mg at night) and a smaller dose during the day if needed.

Apparently the B vitamin combo works very well with SSRI's and is said to actually help them work better. I still take them every day.  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline jjZauis

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »
Thanks for the response Red!  That makes me feel better.   I'm definitely going to look into that and bring that up with my doctor.   I had never imagined that my stomach problems lately would be connected with starting this medication.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 04:10:12 PM »
You're welcome!

I found that a little Pepto Bismol helped! It was definitely worth getting over the little bumps in the beginning of Prozac. :action-smiley-065: :action-smiley-065: :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 04:53:57 PM »
Hi JJ :action-smiley-065:

I am with RedApples - we are both taking Prozac :yes:  -

I have been on Prozac 30-40 mg and Diazepam 10mg at night for the last 5+ years...

It works great for Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia, GAD and OCD (at higher doses) - never had a Panic attack in the last 5 years  :happy0151:

Something that I personally experienced with Prozac - unlike any other SSRI I have taken before - It is the "Most Stimulating" - unlike, Paxil or Zoloft which is more sedating.  Prozac is the only SSRI - that I actually lost weight vs gaining weight  B-;

10 mg is a great starting dose, I could never take 20 mg for initial dose because of the side effects it would produce.

Initial side effects are rough on Prozac for me - it took a couple of weeks for them to go away.

I noticed on your post - that you didn't mention if your Dr. prescribed a small quantity of Benzodiazepines for Prozac - my doctor did prescribe a small dose of Klonopin to help me sleep and stay on Prozac for the next (4-8 weeks).

You may want to ask your doctor for it, this will increase your ability to stay on Prozac until the side effects fade away - also, for Panic Disorder - a Benzodiazepine is almost always prescribed to avoid any further panic attacks until the Prozac can kick in...

Especially for Panic Disorder - Like I had - which was very nasty to control them without a Benzo.

I posted this earlier - that you might find helpful:

What I learned from my own 'First Hand Experience'  - that the better Psychiatrist and Doctors (which I consider to "Best Practices")  will use "Combination Medication Therapy" for someone who starting an antidepressant for anxiety).

I wish they would have done this when I first starting my antidepressants  :yes:,  to help me control my panic attacks and anxiety - when first starting an antidepressant such as Prozac, and it really helps in helping me stay on it for 4-6 weeks - until I would start to feel the positive benefits of Prozac (which for me, was the most stimulating, but also best one of the BEST  :happy0062: for me.

My doctor explained to me that "Combination Medication Therapy" would accomplish the following:

1.   My doctor used both an Antidepressant/SSRI and a low dose of Benzodiazepine - which really helped me immensely. :yes:

2.   My doctor explained that the Antidepressants will take up to 4 to 6 weeks  ::) to begin relieving anxiety symptoms and in some people if used alone - it can actually increase anxiety initially during the first few weeks  (as It did with me…) .  Which is one reason I had such a hard time staying on antidepressant.

3.   My doctor, further explained to me that the benzodiazepines are fast acting anxiety blockers (bringing me relief within 30-60 minutes) to stop my Panic Attacks caused by a Panic Disorder, and could also  help shield me from additional anxiety that may initially arise from the SSRI or Antidepressant that I was taking (Prozac) . :happy0151:

You may want to ask your doctor about this, It really made a world of difference for me!  :grinning-smiley-003:

My two cents  :twocents:   

I had a couple of doctors who would not prescribe me a benzodiazepine  - but, once I made an appointment with a Psychiatrist they were more than happy to give me the correct medications to help my Panic Disorder and Anxiety attacks.

Combination Medication Therapy -

The strategy is to hold the individual on low-dose benzodiazepines (e.g., alprazolam 0.25 to 0.5 mg tid or qid plus antidepressant) for four to eight weeks. When the patient's panic has abated and antidepressant levels are adequate, the benzodiazepine can be slowly withdrawn.

Hope this helps,

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 12:16:12 AM »
Great info, NQ!!! Prozac really is wonderful.

Luckily, 20 mgs works for my GAD, OCD, and Agora :) with a side order of Benzos (mainly at night!) :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline jjZauis

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 03:04:05 PM »
Thanks for that information NQ!  So a little more background is that many years ago (14 to be exact) I was seeing a psych that diagnosed me with clinical depression, I mean looking back, that was a rough time for me with a lot of changes going on.  But at the time that Doc prescribed me Celexa.   I don't even remember when I stopped seeing that Psych but it wasn't too many years later, and from then on my Primary just kept refilling the Celexa for me.  I was also seeing a therapist regularly who made a world of difference with my depression.   But then the past couple of years is when my anxiety started getting more frequent, and of course, I didn't think it was anxiety.   I thought my dizziness was due to something being wrong in my inner ear, I thought the stress I felt and sometimes twinges of pain in my heart was the start of a heart attack, etc.  it just got progressively worse.  And really started to control my life and affecting basically every aspect of it.  After a lot of tests showed there was nothing wrong with me I recently started to accept it was anxiety which is why I made an appointment with a new pysch who wanted to take me off the Celexa and get me started on Prozac.  This was all over the course of the last month.  He did give me Ativan to take when needed but that actually gave me anxiety on its own because I didn't know what to expect, if it would have some adverse reaction or something.   So I'm now at the point where I've taken my last dose of Celexa and I'm supposed to jump from 20 to 40 of the Prozac.  But I called him and told him I wanted to wait until after I saw him again just because of the concerns I'm having.   After a good month or so I'm suddenly dizzy again, im fixated on the fact that somethings wrong with my heart, but then there are new side effects like my stomach problems, being tired no matter how much sleep I get, and sometimes just feeling like there's a blanket of fog around me.   I'm considering cancelling my vacation that is at the end of this month because that in itself is going to incorporate so many things I consider triggers.   However, cancelling it would really really dissapoint my boyfriend so my anxiety is at a high right now with me not knowing what to do and being concerned about how im going to feel, etc. on this little trip. 

But yes, i was prescribed a Benzo (Ativan) to help until Fluox/Prozac takes full effect I'm just worried to take it.  I've taken it three times and it's helped all three times I needed to take it this past month but I'm afraid I'll become dependent on it, I'm afraid of my body becoming used to it and therefore not being able to have an effect when I really need it, etc.   

I've also started seeing a Cognitive Behavior Therapist.   Thanks for all your insight!
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 03:17:44 PM »
Thanks for that information NQ!  So a little more background is that many years ago (14 to be exact) I was seeing a psych that diagnosed me with clinical depression, I mean looking back, that was a rough time for me with a lot of changes going on.  But at the time that Doc prescribed me Celexa.   I don't even remember when I stopped seeing that Psych but it wasn't too many years later, and from then on my Primary just kept refilling the Celexa for me.  I was also seeing a therapist regularly who made a world of difference with my depression.   But then the past couple of years is when my anxiety started getting more frequent, and of course, I didn't think it was anxiety.   I thought my dizziness was due to something being wrong in my inner ear, I thought the stress I felt and sometimes twinges of pain in my heart was the start of a heart attack, etc.  it just got progressively worse.  And really started to control my life and affecting basically every aspect of it.  After a lot of tests showed there was nothing wrong with me I recently started to accept it was anxiety which is why I made an appointment with a new pysch who wanted to take me off the Celexa and get me started on Prozac.  This was all over the course of the last month.  He did give me Ativan to take when needed but that actually gave me anxiety on its own because I didn't know what to expect, if it would have some adverse reaction or something.   So I'm now at the point where I've taken my last dose of Celexa and I'm supposed to jump from 20 to 40 of the Prozac.  But I called him and told him I wanted to wait until after I saw him again just because of the concerns I'm having.   After a good month or so I'm suddenly dizzy again, im fixated on the fact that somethings wrong with my heart, but then there are new side effects like my stomach problems, being tired no matter how much sleep I get, and sometimes just feeling like there's a blanket of fog around me.   I'm considering cancelling my vacation that is at the end of this month because that in itself is going to incorporate so many things I consider triggers.   However, cancelling it would really really dissapoint my boyfriend so my anxiety is at a high right now with me not knowing what to do and being concerned about how im going to feel, etc. on this little trip. 

But yes, i was prescribed a Benzo (Ativan) to help until Fluox/Prozac takes full effect I'm just worried to take it.  I've taken it three times and it's helped all three times I needed to take it this past month but I'm afraid I'll become dependent on it, I'm afraid of my body becoming used to it and therefore not being able to have an effect when I really need it, etc.   

I've also started seeing a Cognitive Behavior Therapist.   Thanks for all your insight!

Don't be afraid of the Ativan. It's helped you before, it will help you again. As for dependency, I only take it at night and the odd day for pop- up anxiety...tiny dose...less than .5 mg. Taking it 2x daily or less, as per my doc, won't turn to dependency..... as I've mentioned I actually used to take it 4x daily until I was on Prozac the first time, and suddenly, when Prozac kicked in...I actually was forgetting the a.m. and noon ativan doses.

I think you should do what makes you comfortable. Maybe increase the prozac to 30 instead of 40...and then after a week, go to 40. But speak with your doctor, by all means!!

I hope you don't cancel your trip. I know you can do it.  :yes: :action-smiley-065: :spineyes:

Bookmark and Share

Offline jjZauis

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 03:24:37 PM »
Thanks Red, yeah I'm on the .5 of Ativan as well.  I don't know why I'm so hesitant to use it.   But I think I'll have to until I feel like the Fluox is doing it's thing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 03:10:20 AM »
Thanks Red, yeah I'm on the .5 of Ativan as well.  I don't know why I'm so hesitant to use it.   But I think I'll have to until I feel like the Fluox is doing it's thing.

Awesome! Give the Fluox time, though. For me, it kicked in at 3 weeks. You'll know when it kicks in. Good luck!!! :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: