Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Phobia of stroke  (Read 211 times)

Offline chriscam1234

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Phobia of stroke
« on: July 01, 2014, 04:56:04 AM »
I am a hypochondriac, but I'm afraid of having a stroke more than anything. I would say that the idea that I might be having one has crossed my mind everyday for the last 5 or 6 years. Why is it that I'm so afraid of this particular medical emergency? I can tell you what scares me about it, and that's just the fact that you lose brain function. Your brain is basically what makes your reality, so the idea of it just giving out scares me horribly. I always have stroke like symptoms and they've been getting worse. I have numbness, tingling, spaced out feeling, headache, nausea, dizziness, confusion, memory loss, sweating, high blood pressure, stomach pain, sensitivity to light, blurry vision, fatigue, lack of focus, imbalance. I have had so many heart tests and the last few times I went into the hospital for stroke like symptoms I didn't have one. Still it scares me so much. Even if I do get rid of my anxiety how do I stop thinking about something that can happen at anytime unexpectedly. It's also something that can happen to anyone. Is this fear conquerable? By the way I usually put more thought into what I type, but I'm so panicky right now. Can anyone help?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walnut

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Re: Phobia of stroke
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 09:28:08 PM »
First off I apologize that no one has replied to your post. I just wanted to say that I believe high levels of anxiety could cause these symptoms. Especially if you are obsessing over a particular illness or disease. Then your mind could very well mimic certain symptoms. I once woke up and  had a really bad headache, tingling in the left side of my face and left arm. I freaked thinking it was a stroke. I went to the E.R.,  I was exam ined and the doctor said it was not a stroke but anxiety. Of course I didnt  believe him and I sought further assurance from him. He told me that he had seen a man in the E.R. a few months back that actually looked like he was having a stroke. He said the mans face was drooping and he had other symptoms that looked like a stroke. They did all the tests and found he had not had a stroke. So, of course they start to assume that it is Bells Palsy. Then after talking with the patient he learned that the man had severe health anxiety and had been obsessing that he might have a stroke and so he developed the symptoms of it. The E.R. doctor said the mind could do strange things but he himself could not explain how this happens.

I believe if you had the proper therapy whether with a professional or from a book that you could overcome this fear. I personally overcome fears like this but they are soon replaced by a new fear or obsession. You may benefit from reading a book on OCD. Like "how to overcome obsessive thoughts" theres a lot of work to do in that book but very helpful. The reason I suggest reading something that treats OCD is because hypochondria and ocd are closely related in my opinion. When most people think of OCD they think of the tv show Monk or people who are afraid of germs, hand washers people who check locks etc. Now those are symptoms of OCD but there are others symptoms. LIke, your obsession could be about having a stroke. Your compulsion would be to seek reassurance that you arent having one or to read on the symptoms to "check" to see if you have all the symptoms. OCD is a lot deeper and more complicated than people think because OCD can affect people differently.
I know my reply is very late. I am sorry for that. I hope that something I said makes some sense and it helpful to you.
Bookmark and Share
I am horrible about forgetting which threads I have replied to. If you dont get a reply back from me feel free to message me.

My screen name used to be "Nutty" Ive been a member since 2008. I forgot what email I used back then so I cant login to my old name.

Tags: