Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Shortness of breath. The one thing on my mind 24/7!  (Read 133 times)

Offline nikki295248

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Shortness of breath. The one thing on my mind 24/7!
« on: June 30, 2014, 08:58:49 PM »
I have been having awful shortness of breath lately! I've had it for well over a year now and had a chest xray done about a year ago which came back normal but too afraid to go back to the docs to ask for more testing. I notice it almost every single day. Its especially bad when I try to do anything physical but even when I'm just sitting here. I also notice it a lot after I eat. I believe I'm also suffering from allergies right now because I've had a stuffy nose with post nasal drip for about 6 months now! This short of breath is freaking me out though! I can't get it off my mind which I'm sure makes it worse. Can anxiety really cause it to be this bad? I also get chest congestion once in awhile too with the post nasal drip. I try breathing exercises but that just seems to make it worse! Any suggestions?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Krum1974

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Shortness of breath. The one thing on my mind 24/7!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 11:36:44 PM »
I am going thru the same thing right now.  Very short of breath doing anything remotely physical like climbing stairs.  I also feel short of breath at work sometimes.  Things have been really stressful there lately. I had a full heart workout last summer and know I'm probably fine but of course I worry there's something wrong.  I try to do breathing exercises thruout the day to calm me down which helps.  I think it's common with anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tiredofbeingexhausted

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 02:46:18 AM »
Oh thank heavens me too! I have random sinus stuffing too plus stomach issues make it worse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 06:16:09 AM »
It's a symptom of significant anxiety. Its common enough that studies have been done on sufferers, and what they found was very interesting.

When we get that breathless feeling, there is absolutely no physical change. No accelerated or slowed breathing. No lack or abundance of oxygen. It is all perfectly normal even as we are terrified we're going to suffocate.

Anxiety does it to us. Makes us think that we're in danger. But really, that does make perfect sense, as its a system designed to save our lives. Thats why you get the urge to see a doctor; the urge to do *something* to try and save yourself.

Trouble being, you're not in danger. Anxiety is a jerk.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nikki295248

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 10:30:40 AM »
Thank you all for the reassurance! Feels better knowing I'm not alone and it is just anxiety. I'm going to try to remind myself of that all day today and hopefully it helps!
Bookmark and Share

Offline cmatthews1112

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 01:42:33 PM »
Omg. I have been having bad shortness of breath this week. I'm convinced its a heart attack but it comes and goes. I know it's probably anxiety but have to convince my mind of that.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: