Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Afraid of the effects of Clonazepam  (Read 154 times)

Offline coderbrah

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Afraid of the effects of Clonazepam
« on: June 30, 2014, 02:37:43 PM »
Hi everyone, 4,5 months ago I tried XTC for the first time in my life. It gave me a pretty rough comedown and I've been having debilitating anxiety ever since (also strong derealization). Because of this I have developed a bit of a pill phobia. I'm really afraid of everything that changes my mood/mental state. I even had to psyche myself up for a month before I had the courage to start taking 5mg of Lexapro.

I have been given 0.25mg Rivotril (clonazepam) pills to help with anxiety and Lexapro startup troubles as needed. However I'm too afraid to try them out. Part of me thinks I'm going to feel high or too foggy (I already have pretty bad brainfog) or it might make me very depressed.

Does anyone have any input? I have really bad anxiety and even sitting still is uncomfortable for me (no pqnic attacks though) so I guess in a way it will give relief?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
Re: Afraid of the effects of Clonazepam
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 04:32:56 PM »
Welcome Coderbrah,  :action-smiley-065:

I am happy you joined us, you are in the right place  :yes:

There are many members here, including myself, that had really good success with Lexapro and Klonopin  :happy0151:

Many members here will be able to answer any question you may have, as you start on a recovery to bright future :nature-smiley-016:

My doctors, has in the past prescribed both medications to me, and I had very good results and actually very few side-effects - other than maybe a little drowsiness.   :yawn:

Have you spoken with your doctor about the Ecstasy use?  - Just want to make sure you disclose everything to your doctor - so they can best treat your condition.  Also, I am hoping that you are avoiding any further use of leisure drugs  :yes:  - doing any type of this type of drugs can really affect your Lexapro and Klonopin medications negatively.  :spineyes:   

I just want to make sure you stay healthy and safe!  :grinning-smiley-003:

You have a lot of support here - Keep us all informed on your progress.

And again a warm welcome - you are among friends!   :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline coderbrah

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 05:05:14 PM »
Thanks for your reply. Yes I have disclosed my drug use with my doctor as well as my psychiatrist. And no, I will definitely not touch drugs again (that pill was my first drug use (alcohol included) in over six years, go figure lol).
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 07:25:15 PM »
I have been given 0.25mg Rivotril (clonazepam) pills to help with anxiety and Lexapro startup troubles as needed. However I'm too afraid to try them out. Part of me thinks I'm going to feel high or too foggy (I already have pretty bad brainfog) or it might make me very depressed.

You are almost certainly not going to get a 'high' from clonazepam, but sedation is a possibility though probably not much at that dose, depression is less likely though benzodiazepines may sometimes trigger it with prolonged use.

0.25mg is a tiny dose. Clonazepam was developed as a high potency anti seizure med to treat epilepsy and the average dose for that would be around 10g/day with some taking twice as much, i.e. 40-80 times the dose you've been prescribed. You might find this interesting.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline coderbrah

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 04:34:39 PM »
I have taken 0.25mg Rivotril two-and-a-half hours ago. I'm feeling slightly sedated/a bit slow but overall a lot calmer yes. It didn't knock my anxiety away completely nor do I feel disinhibited, but I'm also at a fairly low dose.

If anyone's reading this and afraid to try a benzo as well: it's really nothing to worry about, you'll just feel calmer and a bit tired.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 05:30:54 PM »
Clonazepam was developed as a high potency anti seizure med to treat epilepsy and the average dose for that would be around 10g/day

Correction: that should read 10mg/day   ::)

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 06:37:50 PM »
There are many people who have experimented with drugs during their youth who don't have addiction concerns.  Some have smoked some pot, drank, even went to a party and rolled on E...and are not addicts.  With that said, if I were seeing you I would want you to have a full addiction assessment before proceeding with clonazepam.

As for getting high or having euphoria with clonazepam...depends.  It's kind of like opiates in a sense...not everyone gets high or has euphoria when they take opiates...actually most don't in therapeutic doses.  Many hate the way opiates make them feel...groggy, less energy and a little sick.  But, addicts process drugs differently...it effects them differently.  Opiates give them energy, they have more confidence, feel like Superman.  In the same way any of the benzos can do this as well but usually in higher than therapeutic doses.

Not giving any patients accounts I can speak personally about clonazepam as I was taking 2mg three times daily and certainly felt euphoria.  It gave me energy and confidence.  I'm not much of small talking with people I don't know...but I wanted to talk with everyone...felt on top of the world.  But, I am also a recovering addict.  I have a strong family and personal history of addiction.

It's why it's very important even when broaching low dose BZDs for your psychiatrist to take your addiction history into account.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Tags: