Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can't watch the news anymore.  (Read 170 times)

Offline Toasted Butter

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can't watch the news anymore.
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:54:44 AM »
Has anyone else found this to be the case? I always feel anxious after watching the news. I simply can't watch it anymore. I haven't watched the news for over a year because it's so much sensationalized fear-mongering that it seems purposefully designed to cause anxiety. Instead I rely on my friends and family to keep me informed about current events. I would like to be well-informed, but the stuff they put on the news is usually just fear-mongering and not real information anyway.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Beck101287

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can't watch the news anymore.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 10:27:46 AM »
Yes I feel exactly the same - this past week I've made an effort not to watch the news at all. I feel bad because I do want to know what's going on in the world but it's just too depressing - they should do a mixture of good and bad events to make it less depressing but the media only ever focus on bad things. I actually studied journalism at uni and did work experience at a few newspapers before deciding it wasn't for me because of all the sad stories. I know I can't avoid bad news forever and I don't want to be ignorant of the issues affecting our world but for people who already have bad anxiety it only makes them worse..
Bookmark and Share

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 02:25:16 AM »
I stopped watching the news years ago :yes:
Really would be great if there was a Happy News Only Channel :action-smiley-065:

I do keep up with stuff on the internet, but I can choose what I want to read about.... news just seems so sensationalized and of course, rarely is there a happy human interest story.

I do like the weather channel, though! :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 06:21:26 AM »
I turned off my TV five years ago. I have not once felt the desire to turn it back on. Passive information is so obsolete.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anxiousmind77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 10:24:06 AM »
I stopped watching the news years ago as well. My boyfriend watches the news every night and when I am over his house I'm kinda forced to watch it. But I always say to him " every piece of news on here is horrifying." I've noticed that the news in the morning is much more positive. Which is kinda screwed up. It's like oh hey you just woke up here's some happy news so your not depressed all day, then at night they're like ok now it's time for the bad stuff. Here ya go! Right before you go to sleep! Lol, so ya no news for me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jjZauis

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 04:29:58 PM »
I've never really been one to watch the news but I've started to realize how reading about news on the internet has become a trigger for anxiety for me.  But if i don't read it, I feel like I'm out of touch whats going on in the world
Bookmark and Share

Online TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 04:41:33 PM »
I cant handle the news either just way to many horrible things to see going on and I don't need the added anxiety and I feel so sad and sick when I see such sickening things going on . I know really I should be working on coping skills in that area but to be honest what can I do about something already done ? I can't so I stay away from the news and scary movies.
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

God is Good all the Time! All the Time God is Good! :)

Tags: