Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Early onset dementia  (Read 269 times)

Offline nabila12

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Early onset dementia
« on: June 29, 2014, 11:07:37 PM »
I am a 34-yr-old female with no neurological symptoms, but I recently had a CT scan come back completely normal except for that it "could suggest premature [brain] atrophy." I am scared to death now and have Googled myself into a black hole. I learned about a kind of dementia called Pick's Disease that can have an onset as early as age 30 AND is more prominent in people with relatives who had motor neuron diseases. Well guess what...my grandfather died of ALS, so now I am terrified, especially since there is the possibility of developing BOTH Pick's disease and ALS together. I went through an ALS scare 10 years ago when I was only 24 and was even having symptoms, but the neurologist said I was fine and obviously I was. I don't know what to do. I know one obvious step is to stop Googling. Please help!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Early onset dementia
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 11:30:49 AM »
Really would appreciate some sage words here. I am at work and can't focus because I am so scared about this. Please help!! I have a grant to write that is due today and I just can't focus on it. :(
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 12:03:24 PM »
Dementia runs in my family which makes me that much more of a fighter to preserve the brain, to defy the odds, to not go down as the others did. Do everything I can to eat well, do varied exercise, read, learn, write, meditate, inhale the positives, exhale negatives and trump whatever may want to get the upper hand.

You had a clear scan. Good for you. What do they know about brain atrophy? Not much I'd say. The brain remains a vast mystery. Believe in yourself, in hope and optimism and the support we can get and give right here.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 04:02:32 PM »
Thank you, Tina. I have a lot of medical professionals telling me it is probably just the way my brain is naturally and an overread by the radiologist, but when the radiologist talked to my family doctor, he told her that the CT scan was "definitely not normal for a 34-year-old." To make matters worse, I had a very minor traffic accident today where my passenger side mirror hit another parked car's passenger side mirror on a very narrow street and I am reading into that as a sign of some brain disorder, even though I have had multiple "oopsies" in that same car over the past two years. Same with any spelling or handwriting mistakes I have made today. Suddenly they are the sign of something ominous. I called the neurologist's office today to see if I could get in any sooner, but her soonest appointment is still the 10th. I know in the grand scheme of things that isn't very far away, but I am just so scared, it feels like an eternity.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 04:50:32 PM »
Sure understand your concern. It is all too easy to get our confidence rattled. The mirror damage, if any, can be repaired. The fact that you catch a spelling or handwriting error is a very good sign. We all make errors.

Try and do whatever you can to distract yourself, preferably something physical like walking or cleaning or cooking or any hobby you may have. Try and meditate which I do telling myself "breathe in courage, breathe out fear." It can help to calm you and restore your belief and confidence in yourself. Give yourself a hug.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 04:56:58 PM »
This is honestly harder than the colon cancer scare I went through that last nearly two years. There is just something about imagining myself as a burden to my friends at and family at the age of 35 that is devastating in a different way than having cancer would have been. I keep trying to remind myself that surely statistics are on my side, but I can't find those damn statistics!
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 05:12:52 PM »
Understand that worry also. It consumes me. But the statistic to note is that it affects 50% of the population over 80. Before then it is so rare, doubt they even keep statistics. That is probably why you can't find any.

The best antidote is to enjoy yourself and bring joy to those around you. :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 05:21:08 PM »
Don't know if I should share here, but I did find some statistics that suggest at MOST I have a ,043% chance of having the type of dementia I am worried about. I definitely think statistics are on my side on this one. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 05:46:11 PM »
I don't what it is, but I can't stay off Google. I can't stop worrying about this and I don't know what to do. This is just how my cancer scare was in the beginning, too. Mercifully, this one will be over sooner rather than later, but I hate this so much. I am so sorry to come here and complain, but it is one of the few things I can do to keep myself off of Google.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nabila12

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 12:42:07 PM »
OK...I have to admit it somewhere. I actually paid good money, the same amount I will be paying to see my neurologist, to get medical advice off the internet. I have to say, though, I am impressed with the results and one neurologist told me basically that premature atrophy is a common finding and usually not anything to worry about, though it is a good idea to have a neurologist take a look just to be sure. Has anyone else ever gotten so desperate they paid certain sites I won't mention by name for medical advice? I feel so silly, but I was so desperate and scared!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: