Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Please HELP. I'm struggling and don't know what to do anymore  (Read 442 times)

Offline Lars Thorwald

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please HELP. I'm struggling and don't know what to do anymore
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 10:49:44 AM »
I'm sure you're fine but if your fear/anxiety remain try watching the Seinfeld episode where George thinks he's having a heart attack. It's a hilarious episode--one of my favorites. Maybe a good laugh will help. Take care.
Bookmark and Share
Last week I saw my psychiatrist. I told him, "Doc, I keep thinking I'm a dog." He told me to get off his couch.  --Rodney Dangerfield

Offline Tunnelvisionary

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 11:03:34 AM »
You need to stop all checking and reassurance behaviors. Any time you get anxious about your heart, checking your heart rate, wanting to get reassurance from doctors/other people, googling, and ruminating over this problem are all behaviors that FUEL obsessions. You have to stop engaging in these behaviors completely if you want your mind to settle down. At first, your mind will go nuts because it feels like it is giving up control, but that is okay. Remain resilient and persistent in your effort not to try and reassure yourself. Sometime soon, the anxiety will die down.
Bookmark and Share
Anxiety disorders in a nutshell.

Anxiety/Uncertainty ---> Checking/Reassurance/Googling behaviors ---> Brief relief but fuels obsessiveness about disease. ---> Repeat

Stop anxiety by stopping the checking/reassurance/googling! Tough at first, but stick with it.

Offline Bocephus

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 11:46:44 AM »
Reminds of of when I bought a blood pressure monitor..  I used that thing every day for a long time..  Started when I used one of those stands in the grocery stores and it was grossly uncalibrated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 11:50:31 AM »
Lol. I had a stethoscope too back on the day when I was afraid of my heart. I would check my heart 3 times a day I think and write down the beats per minute each time lol.
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline Worrier1978

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 11:56:19 AM »
Thank you for all of your responses! I'm doing much better now. My dad made me talk to his cardiologist and he pretty much told me that people my age do not have heart attacks unless its from drugs, severe obesity, or congenital and even when they do occur, they are EXTREMELY rare. And that my symptoms are just a manifestation of my anxiety or muscular (exactly what you all said!). I guess I just wasted 3 days obsessing over nothing.

Thanks for suggesting for me to stop checking my heart rate. It's helped a lot

So glad you're doing better! I'm also glad that you spoke with a cardiologist because then you're hearing it straight from a professional. Much more reassuring than anything else! And as far as wasting 3 days obsessing over nothing...join the club! (Or wait, don't! It's not a fun club!!!) I pretty much wasted my weekend obsessing over something & being angry/upset over something that isn't going to change. Ugh. Not good when I have a gazillion things to get done! Anyway, glad you're doing better!
Bookmark and Share

Offline cameronj

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 08:33:53 PM »
Thank you for all of your responses! This past weekend has made me realize that I really need to find a psychologist in order to get my obsessions and fears under control. 

Tunnelvisionary, you are exactly right about my need for constant reassurance. I am also constantly questioning the reassurance that I receive and eventually end up freaking out again. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Tunnelvisionary

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 04:44:25 PM »
Glad I could help! HA is a symptom of OCD usually, and how OCD usually works is Anxiety/Doubt/Uncertainty pop up ---> You engage in repetitive checking/reassurance behaviors to feel better ---> You begin obsessing about the issue. It seems counterintuitive as you might think that obsessions fuel compulsive checking/reassurance, but its actually those checking/reassurance behaviors that fuel the obsessive thoughts. Stop the behaviors, the thoughts will fade on their own.

When anxiety like this comes up, it is best to sit with it for a while and not do anything about it. This will seem so odd and alien to you, but after a while, you'll realize that your need to know and your need for reassurance is what is making you so miserable.

It really helps to recognize that reassurance will not really help you feel better, as much as it might seem that way.

Highly recommend watching Mark Freeman's OCD videos on YouTube. Whether you have OCD or not, the advice is universally helpful for anxiety of any kind. They are really simple and generally short, focused videos. Finding a therapist to help you deal with it is also a great step!
Bookmark and Share
Anxiety disorders in a nutshell.

Anxiety/Uncertainty ---> Checking/Reassurance/Googling behaviors ---> Brief relief but fuels obsessiveness about disease. ---> Repeat

Stop anxiety by stopping the checking/reassurance/googling! Tough at first, but stick with it.

Tags:

anything