Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Time for increase?  (Read 339 times)

Offline Drielly84

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Time for increase?
« on: June 29, 2014, 11:19:15 AM »
3 weeks on 50 mg of Zoloft and two weeks on 25 mg of trazodone at night to sleep
The last several nights the night time panic attacks have come back
Good news is that they don't last very long and I'm able to get back to sleep after they pass
However I still wake a few times each night which is so bad now that I'm off for the summer but may be an issue come middle of August
I did end up taking an ambien last night after not taking it for two weeks

Is it time for an increase in zoloft?

Should I try the 50 mg of trazodone?

Should I try taking both trazodone and zoloft together at night?  When I did this will the celexa it worked very well

I'll be out of state all week visiting family and my sister does not know or would approve of med takin meds while pregnant so I'm worried to try and increase my med while up or if I should just wait until I see my psych on the 10th of July.....
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Time for increase?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 11:46:35 AM »
Hi D - I think you shoul probably call your doctor and tell him what's going on. I don't think I would just up the dosage myself.  I think there is a very good chance you might need to increase the zoloft dosage but I would run it by the doc. My Dr said to take my zoloft in the morning because of sleep issues.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 12:43:50 PM »
Yeah I'm planning on calling her tomorrow and I do take the zoloft in the am and after I take it I do feel groggy for a bit then it passes
I really don't want to increase the dose while I'm out of town but I don't want the panic attacks to get worse either
Maybe I'm just anxious about flying
Ever since I booked my ticket a week ago I've been worried about flying :( this could also be why I have the extra anxiety oh well
Think I'm going to go out and shop for a bit so I don't think about too much ! Lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 02:18:06 PM »
Yes, that's what I was wondering - you may want to time your increase properly because sometimes that can increase your anxiety. Ya go shopping that usually helps all women somewhat.  Haha.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 91
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 05:52:07 PM »
Should I try taking both trazodone and zoloft together at night?  When I did this will the celexa it worked very well

Given that you feel a little groggy after taking Zoloft switching to taking it at night may help.

I'm worried to try and increase my med while up or if I should just wait until I see my psych on the 10th of July.

While you will almost certainly need to raise the Zoloft dose for good results I'm not sure that doing it while traveling is the best time to do it. It sounds like you have enough stressors atm, adding possibly heightened anxiety from a dose increase may be too much.

Maybe I'm just anxious about flying

I would be too. The drive to and from the airport can be really dangerous. :laugh3:  Fortunately, the flying bit in between is extremely safe which evens out the overall risk.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 06:09:43 PM »
Hahaha the drive can be problematic especially once I land in NJ! The traffic up there alone will make me feel the need to be medicated!  :spineyes:
If I decide to take the zoloft at night and it doesn't work... Will switching back to the am be an issue
For example I took zoloft this morning so I won't try it tonight but I may try it tomorrow night and for a few nights after that.... If I decide to take it in the am again... Will I have to skip a dose so I don't take the doses too close together?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 08:59:33 PM »
For example I took zoloft this morning so I won't try it tonight but I may try it tomorrow night and for a few nights after that.... If I decide to take it in the am again... Will I have to skip a dose so I don't take the doses too close together?

Yes, you could go back to mornings if it doesn't work out. To switch I suggest you split the 30mg and take 15mg in the morning and the other 15mg a night for one day and then the whole 30mg the next night, reversing this if you want to go back.

BTW, there is an argument for dividing the dose every day because of the short Zoloft half-life. Many report doing better when it is taken in split doses. The reason doctor don't often recommend it is because compliance becomes an increasing problem as the number of times a day a med is taken multiplies.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 09:16:36 PM »
Okay that makes sense
I'm on 50 mg of zoloft so when does it become problematic to take the trazedone with it? I am currently prescribed up to 50 mg of trazodone
Also is it safe to take 10 mg of ambien with 50 mg of trazedone?
I don't take both often at all but a situation like the past several nights with waking up and having a panic attack even with taking the 25 mg of trazodone has me worried that this may become an issue now
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 01:04:50 AM »
I'm on 50 mg of zoloft so when does it become problematic to take the trazedone with it? I am currently prescribed up to 50 mg of trazodone

It doesn't. At 50mg trazodone has so little impact on serotonin pathways that there wouldn't be any adverse interactions even at the maximum recommended Zoloft dose of 200mg. At the current low Zoloft dose you might be okay even at 150mg trazodone, though there is usually little point in exceeding 100mg as the amount of sedation lessens as the dose increases. Once you're into its active antidepressant range of 225+mg the sedation becomes fairly insignificant, especially when taking the slow release formulation which produces less variation in plasma levels.

Also is it safe to take 10 mg of ambien with 50 mg of trazedone?

It should be as they also affect different receptors, but you should run that past your doctor, and be aware that tolerance to Ambien tends to build quickly so it often has a much reduced affect after only limited use.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 03:55:58 AM »
I'm just so frustrated because I was doing better and my sleep was getting better and now I'm having a hard time again.  I really don't take the ambien often, last time I took it besides yesterday was two weeks ago :/ I just don't know how to shut off my mind in the middle of the night after I wake up even with taking the 25 mg of trazodone
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 04:30:36 AM »
I just don't know how to shut off my mind in the middle of the night after I wake up even with taking the 25 mg of trazodone

I've been having the same problem lately, albeit without the trazodone. If your doctor has approved it, upping the trazodone to 50mg might give you a better result than adding the Ambien.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 04:44:43 AM »
Yeah I should have taken the whole 50 mg when I went to bed
I took 25 mg and then the other 25 mg around 3:30 am and an hour later I'm still up
I'm just afraid to take the 50 mg and still be up after a few hours :/
I know with the 25 mg of trazodone I can take the ambien as well for nights that i have a lot of trouble
I also did take some antacid when I took the second dose of trazodone cause I had bad heartburn
On the pregnancy board I'm on o know other women who r having a hard time sleeping because of hormones so I'm trying to not get worried about it but my anxiety is coming back and I'm starting to worry about sleeping again which I know isn't helping :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 07:00:33 AM »
Hi D - When are you due for an increase on the zoloft? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 09:15:45 AM »
Not sure :/ I've been on 50 mg for three weeks noe so I have to call my pdoc and see what she says
Bookmark and Share

Offline joe2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 09:19:53 AM »
yeah I'm wondering if you need an increasebecause you're still having a little anxiety I guess right? You may still need to find your proper dosage. most people are above 50 I believe.
Joe
Bookmark and Share

Tags: