Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: GAD causing agoraphonia  (Read 224 times)

Offline ECee

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Hello :)
    • Poke This Member
GAD causing agoraphonia
« on: June 29, 2014, 12:22:46 AM »
I've only ever had GAD but I think it's causing me to develop agoraphobia.

I'm not diagnosed; but I've looked up symptoms of agoraphobia and it's matching up with a lot of what I'm going through right now.

According to the Mayo Clinic:

"Fear of being alone in any situation, fear of being in crowded places, fear of losing control in a public place, fear of being in places where it may be hard to leave, such as an elevator or train, inability to leave your home (housebound) or only able to leave it if someone else goes with you, sense of helplessness, overdependence on others"

Since the end of this semester of college, I've suddenly been very afraid to take the subway to school and I've had to have my mom drive me - the times I absolutely had to take public transport, I would feel very hot and sick on the train - I've cried on the train as well. I'm terrified to leave my house alone - I feel like I'd die. I'll only leave if we take the car because I feel safer, but I still feel anxious. Even going out with someone like friends and my sisters become hard, I feel very nauseous and fidgety when I do. I feel a little safer going out with one of my parents and I feel pretty fucking embarrassed because I'm 19.

My mom works and I feel like my dad sees me as a burden because I'd been too scared to go out and get things I need and I'd have him get it for me or have him come with me when he really has other things he needs to do. I also feel horrible about neglecting my responsibility with the family dogs as I'm the one that takes them out for walks but now I can't. My mom made me take them out today and I went with the friend and I wanted to cry the entire time. I meant to get a job, but everything is preventing me from doing anything.

I feel too scared to go to the amusement park or beach or wherever that family's been planning to go to soon, and I'm sad about it because I usually love going there. Now I'm dreading it and I don't want to ruin everyone's fun.

I don't even know if it's agoraphobia or anything. I've called some psychiatrists as I've been wanting to go see one again, but none have called me back. I just feel so lost.

Bookmark and Share
"I can unscrew the stars..."

Offline redapples

• Rec's: 8
  • :]
    • Poke This Member
Re: GAD causing agoraphonia
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 05:35:57 PM »
It definitely sounds like agoraphobia.

And, I've been there, too. Matter for fact, I'm just getting my almost second bout of agoraphobia under control before it controls me, so I do understand...

Good that you've reach out to psychiatrists. If they don't get back to you, why not speak with your General Practitioner (GP)? He/she might be able to give you an antidepressant w. maybe a benzo in the beginning to get your through the hump.

I currently take 20mgs of Prozac. The start of it always gives a bit more anxiety...hence, the benzo in the beginning to counteract that.

It is hard when others don't understand, and you're feeling like a burden, but don't. It's not your fault.

You can and will get better. You're in the right place here, with others who understand.

Something that I think of when anxiety really tries to get me is this: No matter where I am, I can have an attack. Even in my comfort zone. It proves to myself, that, no matter where I am, anxiety is there and...for me personally, the negative thinking can make or break an attack.

I never fight an attack. It only makes it worse. Just let it happen because the sooner you do, the quicker it stops. Feel the fear.

Sorry I babbled there.  :sprachlos020: I do understand, though. Years ago I couldn't leave the house- not even to go in the backyard.

Think baby steps. Exposure therapy.

If you're nervous in the yard, sit in the yard 5 minutes a day. Until you get comfortable. Then up it to 10 and so on. Same with any place that you are avoiding. Baby steps. 5 minutes at a time. When 5 minutes are up, you can go home or back to your safe zone.

Bookmark and Share

Offline jjZauis

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: GAD causing agoraphonia
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 04:15:48 PM »
I agree, it does sound like Agoraphobia.  I was recently diagnosed with it and started taking meds but I can completely relate to what you're talking about.   I would be really honest with your family about what you're going through.  I know I had to do that with my loved ones just because the fact that I thought everyone was so frustrated with me and considering a burden was only adding to my anxiety.   But yeah, you're definitely not alone or "crazy" as I've been struggling so much with everything you've described.    I'm 32 but I still have my days where I'm so frustrated with it all I could just cry.   Seeing a Psych and a therapist has started to do me a lot of help though.   I too though had to go through the process of trying to find one and dealing with un-returned phone calls.  Which to me, if you're a professional you should not be ignoring calls, but thats besides the point.   Maybe your GP can refer you to one and if you can't get ahold of them your GP's office might be able to.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: