Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New Job  (Read 194 times)

Offline Radiant_Nebula

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New Job
« on: June 28, 2014, 08:45:13 PM »
Hi everyone!
I am a fairly recent graduate who just got her first 'real' job and I am incredibly nervous. I have always had social anxiety so dealing with people on a daily basis like this is mildly terrifying. I will be a secretary so its not like the job is rocket science but I'm still nervous about what will happen on Monday. Any advice or stories that may help?
Bookmark and Share

Offline afj0823

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: New Job
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:49:26 PM »
i have pretty bad social anxiety around people i know, but strangers i like bc i know i will never see them again or not as often and will forget anything embarrassing i said, did, or looked.

But anyways i went back to work after not working for a yr bc of school and was so nervous, and i never use to be as nervous or anxious till i started graduate school. I feel graduate school lowered my self esteem bc i compared my self to others and felt that others were better,smarter and prettier than me, etc.

And well anyways back to my job, i made sure to wake up early and gave myself plenty of time, in case i started to have a panic attack so i could calm myself down before going in. Once i got there I  just jumped in and started with my work and not talking to my coworkers, bc i felt my coworkers would see how nervous i was. The more i interacted with strangers, the better i got. I just kept moving around bc the more i did that the less i thought about being nervous around my coworkers.  But as the days went by, it got easier and easier. I practiced affirmations, wrote in my journal achievements i made through out the day,prayed, and drank my calming tea, so i could wake up less stressed or anxious the next morning.

Good luck, i like the shyness and social anxiety workbook. I feel this has helped a lot, i also recommend buying any of these type books in actual paperback and not kindle so you can write in it and make copies of exercises.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything